Update on Morse Felony Charges in Montana Poaching Case

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I know -- that's why I'm standing in the corner (but I still want some deer livier).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdarcy View Post
I bet Advogado knows what he's talking about. Advogado means "lawyer" in Portuguese. If his username equates to his profession, he's well educated. Indeed, he strikes me as learned as evidenced by the frequent cogency of his arguments, regardless whether one agrees with him or not. Critical thinking raises the quality of the debate. I appreciate Advogado's comments from that standpoint alone and thank him for offering his thoughts to the controversy.
We need posters like Advogado. I hope he continues to participate.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
We need posters like Advogado. I hope he continues to participate.
Forward On Advogado!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:57 AM
Veteran member

Three cheers for Advogado!
Old 02-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
Three cheers for Advogado!
We don't always agree - but his arguments are thought out and well-reasoned...
Old 02-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
We don't always agree - but his arguments are thought out and well-reasoned...
Old 02-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
I think the implication was that use of the word Avocado was an intentional slap not a misprint. That was the rude part.

I'm quite sure Advogado got it.
I got it, but I thought it was kind of silly.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Gold member
Default Ad hominum attacks in the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
I think the implication was that use of the word Avocado was an intentional slap not a misprint. That was the rude part.

I'm quite sure Advogado got it.
I got it, but I thought it was kind of silly.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Gold member
Default Back to the subject of the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdarcy View Post
I bet Advogado knows what he's talking about. Advogado means "lawyer" in Portuguese. If his username equates to his profession, he's well educated. Indeed, he strikes me as learned as evidenced by the frequent cogency of his arguments, regardless whether one agrees with him or not. Critical thinking raises the quality of the debate. I appreciate Advogado's comments from that standpoint alone and thank him for offering his thoughts to the controversy.
First, thanks to you and others who have come to my defense. I doubt that I am more "learned" than any other contributors, but I have spent a fair amount of time studying and thinking about how The Villages and Developer operate.

I have noticed that some posters, when confronted with facts or opinions that reflect unfavorably on the Developer, tend to ignore the substance of the facts or opinion and launch an []ad hominium[/I] attack on the presenter of the facts or opinion. If this forum is to have any value, I think that we should all try to avoid that tactic. If my facts are wrong or if you think my opinion is nonsense, I would ask that you say so vigorously and give the reasons that you think so. It is not productive, and frankly a little silly, to simply call me a "naysayer" or tell me to sell my house and move if I don't like it here.

By the way, I do like the lifestyle here, but the great lifestyle is irrelevant to most of the controversies involving the Developer. We should remember that the Italians justified Mussolini because he made the trains run on time. I guess we know how that turned out for Italy.

When we buy a house here, we are making an investment. It is my view that it behooves us to watch over that investment and to do what we can to protect that investment from actions by the Developer that could imperil it. Some the Developer's actions clearly have done so-- witness the facts underlying the class-action lawsuit and the multiple charges made in the IRS investigation.

Now, to return to the subject of this thread, i.e., the Morse-poaching charges. An earlier post said that the poaching charges really don't affect TV residents. That was my first reaction too. However, upon further reflection, I thought about the list of criteria I use when deciding whether or not to invest in a stock, and I think I've changed my mind about the charges not affecting TV residents. Right up at top of my list of investment criteria list is management integrity.

The reason for this is not just ethical standards on my part but is also the realization that unethical management generally causes bad things to happen to the operations of a company. In the past few years, we have seen numerous examples of this. If I were thinking of investing in a company and one of its top executives and his close associates were facing multiple felony charges, and, even worse, if that company, through its wholly owned newspaper, attempted to keep the news from the people with the most-legitimate interest in it, I would have serious misgivings about investing in that company.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Sage

(sp)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hominem

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Gold member
Default Spelling correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Thanks for the correction.

Like, I said in my post, if my facts (including spelling) are wrong, just tell me. Hopefully, I will not be asked to sell my house and move to Sun City.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
First, thanks to you and others who have come to my defense. I doubt that I am more "learned" than any other contributors, but I have spent a fair amount of time studying and thinking about how The Villages and Developer operate.

I have noticed that some posters, when confronted with facts or opinions that reflect unfavorably on the Developer, tend to ignore the substance of the facts or opinion and launch an []ad hominium[/I] attack on the presenter of the facts or opinion. If this forum is to have any value, I think that we should all try to avoid that tactic. If my facts are wrong or if you think my opinion is nonsense, I would ask that you say so vigorously and give the reasons that you think so. It is not productive, and frankly a little silly, to simply call me a "naysayer" or tell me to sell my house and move if I don't like it here.

By the way, I do like the lifestyle here, but the great lifestyle is irrelevant to most of the controversies involving the Developer. We should remember that the Italians justified Mussolini because he made the trains run on time. I guess we know how that turned out for Italy.

When we buy a house here, we are making an investment. It is my view that it behooves us to watch over that investment and to do what we can to protect that investment from actions by the Developer that could imperil it. Some the Developer's actions clearly have done so-- witness the facts underlying the class-action lawsuit and the multiple charges made in the IRS investigation.

Now, to return to the subject of this thread, i.e., the Morse-poaching charges. An earlier post said that the poaching charges really don't affect TV residents. That was my first reaction too. However, upon further reflection, I thought about the list of criteria I use when deciding whether or not to invest in a stock, and I think I've changed my mind about the charges not affecting TV residents. Right up at top of my list of investment criteria list is management integrity.

The reason for this is not just ethical standards on my part but is also the realization that unethical management generally causes bad things to happen to the operations of a company. In the past few years, we have seen numerous examples of this. If I were thinking of investing in a company and one of its top executives and his close associates were facing multiple felony charges, and, even worse, if that company, through its wholly owned newspaper, attempted to keep the news from the people with the most-legitimate interest in it, I would have serious misgivings about investing in that company.
Thank you for your post. I agree 100%.

We have purchased a lot in Buttonwood and will begin building as soon as our home sales here in California.

I believe it's my responsibility to know what is happening in my life and the lives of those I invest in.

So many people claim, I didn't know and thus become victims of having their heads in the sand.

Once again your post is excellent
Old 02-18-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post

I also agree completely. Thanks for putting it into words. On this thread you can see someone telling me to move. Well, I just don't take posters like that seriously.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Veteran member

Even though I said I was through with this thread, I am not. Please bear with me a little more.

The Morse family-in this thread- have been compared to Charlie Manson, Adloph Hitler, and Mousilini. Kind of harsh, if you ask me.

There were comments made about needing integrity at the top of a corporation. Do we have integrity in all of our elected officials? We would like it but it doesn't happen. We need corporate leadership who will look out for the best interests of The Villages. I do not agree with the Morse ultra-conservative politics by any means and I get a big laugh out of the Daily Sun columns and letters to the editor.

I am not a hunter nor a supporter of the NRA at all. I used to hunt but after getting out of the Army in 1969, I got rid of my rifle and have not picked one up since.

There were comments about my saying that nothing is holding you in The Villages and if the integrity of the corporation management is beyond your liking, you can move. I am not telling anyone to move. It is the same thing with donations to the Moffit Center. Donate to it if you want or don't. I want to live in harmony. We all worked hard for our slice of Heaven. Let's enjoy it to the fullest.

Hopefully, this has cleared the air and we can all get along.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wilson View Post
I also agree completely. Thanks for putting it into words. On this thread you can see someone telling me to move. Well, I just don't take posters like that seriously.
I agree as well. One of the reasons I absented myself from this forum for over a year is that the discourse had turned into petty name calling. It is something I truly despise (and a reason I rarely listen to the talking heads on radio or TV on either side). One tiny fact is buried in a pound of drivel and the yelling commences. I feel that this has become accepted in our society. I also believe that manners and respect - even for those you disagree with - are a reflection of who we are.

Sorry for the hijack - off my soap box for now...

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.