Update on Morse Felony Charges in Montana Poaching Case

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Gold member
Default message

I think we should all mind our own business. Enough said.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
I agree as well. One of the reasons I absented myself from this forum for over a year is that the discourse had turned into petty name calling. It is something I truly despise (and a reason I rarely listen to the talking heads on radio or TV on either side). One tiny fact is buried in a pound of drivel and the yelling commences. I feel that this has become accepted in our society. I also believe that manners and respect - even for those you disagree with - are a reflection of who we are.

Sorry for the hijack - off my soap box for now...
Well said dear Kate. I agree with a lot of people on here, in full, in part, sometimes, always....a little.

I have a VERY hard time getting into an open minded and agreeable feeling when some posters post who never, NEVER have ANYTHING positive to say about ANYTHING. Right away I feel like my girdle is too tight, and I don't even wear a girdle, anymore. I should maybe.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
I think we should all mind our own business. Enough said.
I hear what you are saying but doesn't that go against the whole idea of public forums like TOTV? The idea here is to express your opinion on the questions that have raised. You don't have to agree with any or all of them. But each person's opinion should be respected and given consideration.

I would think public forums are not your thing if you don't want to express your opinion.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wilson View Post
Tbugs,
What you talking about??? I think Avocado sounds like one smart person!!
Old 02-19-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
For those who are interested in the Morse poaching case (he has 2 felony poaching charges pending in Montana) here is a link to the latest:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/stat...caadfa9b6.html

The Florida game warden who oversaw operations at Morse's and Rainey's ranch, has forfeited bond to resolve charges in the case. He is expected to be a key witness against Morse and his family and friends.
I've been reading this stuff for quite a while now and only have one question for the last 50 or so posters; does anyone remember that the subject of this Thread is "Update on Morse Felony Charges in Montana Poaching Case"? Can't remember the last post that had to do with killing Trophy Elk without a license, or the status of the criminal charges against the leader of the pack.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:56 PM

How disgraceful of the CEO of the Villages, (have I got that correct?) to be involved in murdering animals for the fun of it. That shows what low morals and a total disrespect for life he has.

Have any of the residents protested this to the powers that be?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid72 View Post
How disgraceful of the CEO of the Villages, (have I got that correct?) to be involved in murdering animals for the fun of it. That shows what low morals and a total disrespect for life he has.

I ...um..think Mark Morse is...pretty much that around here. This is not run as a democracy. Most of us knew that going in.

I am not sure how I feel about hunting, we have no hunters in the family so I really don't know the rules on that. Apparently he screwed up big time. Hunters would probably not use the term "murdering" animals.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Veteran member

Advogado Fact check: You gently admonish us by stating, "We should remember that the Italians justified Mussolini because he made the trains run on time. I guess we know how that turned out for Italy." My recollection of history, suggests more than a little divergence from your own. Italy after WWI was suffering from a poor economy, unrest, strikes and riots. It set the stage for Mussolini and his Fascist party's rise to power. To suggest his rise was attributable to getting the trains to run on time is a stretch. To suggest a parallel with The Villages and the Morse family is much more than a stretch. Are we now to add Mussolini to the Hitler, et al, characterizations of the developer. What happened to your advise to avoid argumentum ad hominem? Are you not fallaciously by innuendo comparing Morse with Mussolini?

You clearly cite the IRS case as an example of the developer imperiling our investment in The Villages. I would state it differently with less bias. In an earlier post I listed "what ifs" for optimists. Accordingly, in part they are:
what if someone realizes that The Villages is de facto, a municipality with legal sub-divisions called by a different name as a result of court and legislatively authorized government experimentation in-progress and accordingly, qualifies for the bond status in issue

what if someone applies common sense and realizes that TV and other Florida communities as well as similar new out of state developments are sanctioned experiments that need to go through a metamorphosis to reach their potential in serving the needs of people looking for something progressive and different in the way we are governed.

what if somebody realizes we are not a cult compound but a legally authorized form of government

The form of governance in Disney World and the Villages is unique. To a large extent, it is a bold experiment that has been adopted by copious jurisdictions in Florida and other states. From what I have read, issues have arisen that have no clearly defined precedent in state law or IRS regulations. They reside in the grey twilight of unsettled precedent. If the laws that generally regulate traditional government are without precedent in our form of governance, I would suggest in the matter you cite, the IRS is navigating uncharted waters. Ergo, the implications of The Villages IRS decision will set precedent for many others. In any case, what has Morse been charged with or convicted of that threatens your investment? How does perpetuating the worst case help our investments? Are you rooting against Morse? If so, aren't you rooting for a decision that will negatively impact your own interest and the interest of your friends and neighbors? I could be wrong, and I apologize accordingly, but it sounds like you are rooting for the IRS.

The Poaching Case. Regarding the topic at hand. The first point I would comment on is your rather persistent use of the term felony. You have clearly demonstrated that you are intelligent and have a command of the King's English. You also are clever enough to know that crimes are classified differently from state to state. You also know that true crimes are generally classified as crimes against the person and crimes against property. There is another classification that are labeled "offense" because they are not against property or people. Poaching is a statutory offense. It not against the person or property. It may be against moral principles and personal ethics. They are statutory offenses because they are regulatory in nature and defined by statute. Examples might be: a speeding ticket, failure to secure a building permit, littering, fishing without a license, hunting without a license, etc., etc. Crimes can also be classified as misdemeanors, high misdemeanor, felonies, disorderly person offenses. Each state is unique. In some states, misdemeanor is a felony and indictable and in some states its not. In Montana, poaching may or may not be a felony. Hunting elk without a license may be a crime, even a felony in Montana. To my knowledge withstanding possible correction, it is not in New Jersey. Further complicating the issue is the fact that law enforcement routinely overcharges with the highest classification and works for a plea to a lesser offense in the interest of saving time, money and resources. A disturbing question I have is the publicized fact that the investigation started 5 years ago. I imagine a good defense attorney can work with that fact. In conclusion, while being a devil's advocate of sorts, don't take that literally, I am disturbed by the conduct, if true, whatever it is classified. I do not understand why some resurrect and post 5 day old articles and call them updates if not to cast disparity on the character of the unconvicted and his family. But, that's just me.

You rather strongly make the case with your management integrity criteria analogy, that you would not invest with someone like Morse. You said, "If I were thinking of investing in a company and one of its top executives and his close associates were facing multiple felony charges, and, even worse, if that company, through its wholly owned newspaper, attempted to keep the news from the people with the most-legitimate interest in it, I would have serious misgivings about investing in that company."

How do your thoughtful, articulate representations impact those who read this forum and are on the fence about investing here? How does it impact someone who is thinking about investing in a small business here? How many homeowners and investors have you discouraged from investing? Could your observations be viewed as working against self interest, my interest and Villagers interest? By the way, the Villages Sun did carry the Montana story. Some research in the TOTV archives will produce its reference. It provided essential facts and shaded the article in the developer's interest. Your assertion that, "if that company, through its wholly owned newspaper, attempted to keep the news from the people with the most-legitimate interest in it, I would have serious misgivings about investing in that company." seems to be vicariously disingenuous. If Mr. Morse engaged someone to keep the news from the people as you suggest, he should dismiss them for incompetence.

You seemed to have tried and convicted Morse and his family on several broad based assumptions before the courts and the IRS have done their work. I respect your right to do so.

I have no connection whatsoever to the Morse family. I have been a critic of Mr. Morse on multiple occasions.

Thanks for the challenge.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Gold member
Default Mark Gary Morse's title in "The Villages"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid72 View Post

To answer your question about Mark Gary Morse's exact title in The Villages: The news reports have been inconsistent on that point. However, I guess his exact title depends on which entity you mean when you use the term, "The Villages". See http://www.corporationwiki.com/graph...px?id=14993004 Technically, "The Villages" is a fictitious name that is registered to four different related companies, but there are variations of the name registered to other companies. See http://sunbiz.org/scripts/ficregl.ex...m=G06206900129

Let us know when you get it all figured out.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
To answer your question about Mark Gary Morse's exact title in The Villages: The news reports have been inconsistent on that point. However, I guess his exact title depends on which entity you mean when you use the term, "The Villages". See http://www.corporationwiki.com/graph...px?id=14993004 Technically, "The Villages" is a fictitious name that is registered to four different related companies, but there are variations of the name registered to other companies. See http://sunbiz.org/scripts/ficregl.ex...m=G06206900129

Let us know when you get it all figured out.
"Mark Gary Morse" is not one individual. There is Gary Morse and son Mark Morse. FYI

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 02-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191 View Post
"Mark Gary Morse" is not one individual. There is Gary Morse and son Mark Morse. FYI
And...one is the king and one is the prince.

We didn't vote them in, unless buying a house here counts as a vote.

Your turn.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
And...one is the king and one is the prince.

We didn't vote them in, unless buying a house here counts as a vote.

Your turn.
Hmmm....".....king........the prince." Hmmmm Well you can label them any way you choose. Those two names would not be my choice. How about "yardstick" and "ruler"? Or maybe...."jump" and "how high."
"Penn" and "Teller" ????? "Edgar Bergin" & "Charlie McCarthy"?

Back atcha...

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191 View Post
Hmmm....".....king........the prince." Hmmmm Well you can label them any way you choose. Those two names would not be my choice. How about "yardstick" and "ruler"? Or maybe...."jump" and "how high."
"Penn" and "Teller" ????? "Edgar Bergin" & "Charlie McCarthy"?

Back atcha...
There is nothing we can do to have a say in the government of TV. Nothing.

Doesn't that make the developers the rulers?

That is the form of goverment we bought into when we moved here. We may not like them but the day to day life is perfect..

We could have chosen Dell Webb if we wanted to vote on things.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There is nothing we can do to have a say in the government of TV. Nothing.

Doesn't that make the developers the rulers?

That is the form of goverment we bought into when we moved here. We may not like them but the day to day life is perfect..

We could have chosen Dell Webb if we wanted to vote on things.
King and Prince are royalty and I can't seem to place the "powers-that-be" of TV in such high esteem, Gracie. I do believe that royalty does not necessarily make a ruler; take England, for example.

I love living in TV and "bubba & son" have done a fine job so that we could make them very very rich, which is fine with me. HOWEVER, they have been more than remiss in the important lack of ethics and best interests for the homeowners that made them so rich, so much that my respect is dwindling at each downturn that shows the true colors of these two moguls. They have not "given" residents anything; we paid for what we get and need not put them on a pedestal for give-aways, favors, or donations to the residents; nonexistent. They have so many holdings, that we are constantly paying them dearly for their many business ventures.

When lies, cheating, and greed sets in to this empire, that's when one must diligently consider the reality of it all and stand united as residents to protect our investments. Fortunately, we have the POA to support the residents.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Veteran member
Default Best post ever

Cabo,

You definitely took your time in writing your last post. Congratulations on the best thread posting.

Personally, I believe this whole thing is ridiculous. The hunting was on the Morse private land in Montana. They have some system of lottery to obtain a deer or elk license that is needed to hunt on your own land if you are a nonresident. However, the outfitter can have a package license for all in the hunting party and that is what is in question in this case. Chances are that Montana sees multimillionare nonresidents as a cash cow for the state.

Once again, Cabo, great work for that posting.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.