Update on Morse Felony Charges in Montana Poaching Case

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post

The outfitter's license was supposed to suffice for all the persons hunting but actually was a sting operation. A well paid lawyer will get them off.

I believe the outfitter has also been charged in this case. I'm really, really, really curious where you got this information.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid72 View Post
Poaching on his own land? Oh, that makes it ok, sort of like doing a crime is fine if you are in your own space! LOL
Now I have a couple of potential questions about the Villages, and am very interested to know about a place before I would move there. Who wouldn't? I'm sure you & everyone else who moved down checked the place out first. I want to live in a place where I am comfortable with, for lack of a better word, the ambiance. This extends to the developer as well.
Unfortunately, I have read, on these boards, many comments about liberals & their politics; about ethnicity, and generalities about those less fortunate than the middle class. This last episode concerning a creep (developer) who thought nothing about cutting off the legs of an animal so he could get a better ego photo op was really disturbing. All this gives me a lot to think about. However, I was pleased that most of the comments here showed that the residents were very upset about his actions.
I really appreciate the information that I glean from here, and enjoy reading all the comments.
As for my eating habits, we live out in the country, neighbor farmers here supply the food we don't grow ourselves, I know how it is raised. I have a pretty clear conscience. My dietary habits have nothing to do with some bubba poacher who has too much money & no sense of what is right or wrong. We do not hunt either, but as long as it is done legally, and humanely and with the intent to eat, it is acceptable.
Mermaid. It is important for you to know that the government here is a CDD so that people moving here are not able to change how things are run. There is no voting on whether we have a club house here or a golf course there are what goes on anywhere here. I am very happy with how things are run but some people have issues with yard ornaments not being allowed without permission, that you cannot fence in your yard and that there are no indoor pools and about dogs being allowed to go to the squares and about dogs pooping at the mail drops and other such things. AND you cannot vote to change any of those things.

You also need to know that well over half of people that live here are Republican and the paper has Republican editorials. The people invited to speak at the square and who come for book signings are mostly conservative Republicans. Democrats are not invited to do so.

There are many here who are very comfortable financially and are wonderful folks. There are those who haven't as much money and those people are wonderful folks. There are millionares living in villas and people having difficulty making ends meet living in Premiers. We have saints and sinners, famous people and ordinary people like me.

If that is an ambiance that doesn't seem comfy to you than I ask you to think and think again.

There are a good many people here who enjoy this place and don't share the politics but I sense that the unhappiness of some who post on here is because they do not like the politics of the developer and of the majority of residents.

Politics aren't something that guide me in my friendships and associations but a lot of people of a certain age seem to be more apt to choose friends because of political leanings.

That is my take.

I personally think it is the happiest, most wonderful and friendliest place I have ever lived.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Did that sirloin steak you had for dinner come from a cow that committed suicide? Did that lobster do a swan-dive into the pot of boiling water thinking he was competing for Lobster Olympics? If you are a total vegan, you are in a class by yourself. If you eat eggs, think about the chickens in the little cages; if you drink milk, think about the dairy farms. There is animal cruelty in all of those things so do not get on a high horse (no pun intended) about hunting showing a lack of morality. I do not hunt but that is my personal choice and I do not condemn others for doing it.
Wait for a verdict before condemning anyone.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

[QUOTE=Tbugs;333321]
Definitely, do look into the meat and fishing industry to see what kind of cruelty goes on there.. .. ..QUOTE]

Old 02-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have read, on these boards, many comments about liberals & their politics; about ethnicity, and generalities about those less fortunate than the middle class.
2008 Presidential election - Sumter County

John McCain 30,866 or 63.16%

Barack Obama 17,655 or 36.13%

I am not sure I understand the context of your "liberals and their politics" remark, but election results in Sumter county where the greatest part of the electorate are Villagers, shows a significant predisposition to Republican and somewhat conservative majorities. If that would make you uncomfortable, perhaps a more urban Liberal Democratic venue would be better. Personally, like Gracie, I wouldn't let the political orientation of a venue be a factor in the decision making process to move there.

Have a good evening.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
"Absolutely agree - I am a prospective Villager, and NONE of the negative news about the developers gives me one moments doubt of my desire to live there. In fact a prevailing opinion that the developers are infallible, and that news negative to them should not be brought to light, would give me more pause than knowing that many of my neighbors were interested in the truth no matter where it falls. And since I was the one who brought up Hitler, and stated that I was in no way comparing the Morse's to him, I will say again that the analogy was used as an extreme example of people turning their heads to moral depravity because their lives are generally improved. The Villages concept is a fabulous and successful one which will likely outlive the developers and survive any personal missteps they continue to make." -- Oldcoach Ed

From my view, I disagree. I too have considered looking at the Villages as a place to retire. A developer who has such a lack of respect for life certainly makes me think twice about giving him any part of my hard-earned money. I consider a person who poaches or mistreats animals, on the same moral level as someone like the dogfighter football player -- (someone or another) Vic.
I certainly would never turn my head to that sort of behavior just because the Villages is such a nice place to live.
And...I really thank the original poster here for bringing this to my attention, it should be brought to light.
When one is making a life changing decision such as picking out just the right place to fullfil your dream of an active, relaxing retirement, you really need to look at all of your options. Paying special attention to the people who will become your neighbors and future friends is most important. Fortunately you have come to the right place. In these pages you will find a retirement community that just may be perfect for your sunshine years. Since you have some serious concerns about the character of the Developer of The Villages and his family, may I suggest that there is a whole forum thread here that will provide you with an alternative and it's close by too. The thread will give you all of the information you will need to make a rational decision. I'm sure it would benefit you to look into Lake Weir Living. They are advertisers on TOTV! Just to start your adventure. Good luck in your search for the perfect place.

Last edited by Xavier; 02-25-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post

I am not sure I understand the context of your "liberals and their politics" remark, but election results in Sumter county where the greatest part of the electorate are Villagers, shows a significant predisposition to Republican and somewhat conservative majorities. If that would make you uncomfortable, perhaps a more urban Liberal Democratic venue would be better. Personally, like Gracie, I wouldn't let the political orientation of a venue be a factor in the decision making process to move there.

Have a good evening.
Cabo35 GET READY:

Xavier
Old 02-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post

With these results it makes perfect sense why Democrats wouldn't waste a dime of their campaign money here.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Sage

Why did this thread turn to politics?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default TV is great

You know what? I have never met the Morses, the Raineys or the Parrs. I only meet the wonderful folks called Villagers. It does appear that the developers have a very solid slant toward a particular party, but it really doesn't effect me at all. I rarely even hear politics discussed around here.
Forget about all of these things when making your decision. Just observe the ambience. It is great!!!

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Sallybow is right, again!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Sage

Yep, sorry.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
You know what? I have never met the Morses, the Raineys or the Parrs. I only meet the wonderful folks called Villagers. It does appear that the developers have a very solid slant toward a particular party, but it really doesn't effect me at all. I rarely even hear politics discussed around here.
Forget about all of these things when making your decision. Just observe the ambience. It is great!!!

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
You have spoken well!
Old 02-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Veteran member

In November 2008 prior to the elections the numbers from election supervisors from Lake, Marion and Sumter counties in the 26 precincts that make up The Villages showed registered Republicans account for 25,958 voters -- or 52 percent of the electorate , which doing the math, puts Democrats and Independents at 48%. So there are slightly more registered Republicans, so what. With retirees coming in every day from liberal states such as New York, I wouldn't be suprised if those demographics change over time.

Mermaid, please ignore the remarks you referred to. Some of the people posting here are regulars in the Political forum and, to say it nicely, just don't know how to play well with others. And, the people posting on TOTV are not necessarly representative of the people you'll meet in the Villages. In fact, many of the posters don't even live in The Villages. Most Villagers we have met are wonderful people, out to enjoy retirement. Its been easy to find people of a liberal persuasion to socialize with, and I have many friends who are not liberals. We just know enough not to discuss politics.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.