Default Re: Update on the train in my back yard in Chatham

:bow:
Old 11-12-2007, 03:23 AM
Gold member

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 11-12-2007, 04:07 AM

Hope it all works out for you. Of course, this market is not the time, but I agree, if you do want to sell to move to a quieter Village, there are people that love the sounds of trains. Keep the hope that something will work out. We are all looking forward to a positive result for you on this one.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:49 AM

I just finished reading about your plight.

Shame on the developer. But he is still up to his old tricks.

About two weeks ago The Village Sales office advertised a Chatum home for sale with a view of the horse farm on 42. I guess that means another new homeowner will be surprised to find a housing development in the back yard instead of horses.

When is a disclosure necessary? Only after the sale..... when the owner discovers it!!!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Sage

I sincerely doubt the Developer knows a thing about this. I do not see him as a micromanager. The Sales office or agent should have their feet held to the fire, instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlemyre
I just finished reading about your plight.

Shame on the developer. But he is still up to his old tricks.

About two weeks ago The Village Sales office advertised a Chatum home for sale with a view of the horse farm on 42. I guess that means another new homeowner will be surprised to find a housing development in the back yard instead of horses.

When is a disclosure necessary? Only after the sale..... when the owner discovers it!!!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:48 AM
Gold member

:cop: close your eyes.

Sam less than 50 to go.

HB
Old 04-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Veteran member

Who did the letter you sent to "the developer" go to?* Did it request a face to face meeting? Did you followup each letter a few days later with a phone call to the individual the letter was sent to? Did the letter make specific requests or provide specific solutions?

Have you tried a blanket mailing to:

* Each member of the Board of County Commissioners of whichever County you are in.
* Each Board member of the Board of Realtors of this area.
* Each Director of the CDD you are located in.
* The homes of each member of the Schwartz, Morse, and Parr Families.

What would be the length and cost of a sound barrier that would be effective in screening the noise from the homes that are most severly impacted?

Which is more likely to significantly resolve your problem, the establishment of a "quiet zone" or the construction of a noise barrier?* Or both?

Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 04-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Veteran member

SamHass don't kid yourself. The developer knows EVERYTHING that is going on here. The family is represented in EVERY department.

I don't understand how disclosure did not apply to them when they sold all of us our homes????? The folks at Nancy Lopez with the sink hole problem were not told about that issue either.

I really have no use for the Morse/Schwartz family anymore. Mr. Schwartz is turning in his grave because of what his children and grandchildren are doing in the family name.

Fortunately for us, we LOVE our home and where it is located. We are far enough away from the train to enjoy the soft sounds late in the evening.

I do pray for Talk Host and his wife all the time. It is a terrible thing that was done to them but I will tell you that very few new buyers were told everything about being a home owner in the Villages. God bless.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Gold member

I am 'voicing' the following thought as a general statement: Sadly this is more of 'caveat emptor' that came up in another thread earlier. Anyone can tell us anything; if it's not committed in writing, then the buyer of a good or service has nothing to fall back on. And while most merchants are concerned about goodwill, honesty, decency, compassion--even if for only repeat business (or in other words, no matter what their motive...)--there are always those whose motivation is the worship of the Almighty Dollar. We need to do our own research and not rely on the word of others who may not even have questionable motives but may be ignorant of the details of what they're dealing with....
Old 04-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frangyomory
It is a terrible thing that was done to them but I will tell you that very few new buyers were told everything about being a home owner in the Villages.*
It is impossible to be told "everything."* No one is told everything.* Speaking generally, there are too many of us who play "victim".** The "solution" is what we want now.* TalkHost intends to be proactive in getting a solution which we will all hopefully help him achieve.*

The formula is:* Be proactive at the beginning to avoid the problem; or be proactive later to resolve the problem.* "Later" requires much more work and pain.* We should not fully rely on others to avoid potential problems when we are healthy and coherant.

Speaking for my purchase/sales experience, every question I asked was confirmed to have been answered truthfully.* But it was up to me to ask the questions and to ask enough questions to know what other questions to ask.* To the extent that we don't do this, there will be more work at the other end required to repair the situation that results.

Just last night I dreamed that I bought a house at the end of an airport runway and couldn't do anything about it.* Boy did I wake up with a foul headache. But hopefully these kinds of nightmares will serve as a reminder to me...
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 04-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Veteran member

I'm confused here about the original purchase. :dontknow: I built off Legacy Lane in the western edge of Chatham, visited the lot several times and heard a train horn as it approached the crossings. We knew that it was there on several more visitations before and during construction. It was not necessary to "disclose" the presence of the train as we both heard it. Sounds as though Jan's purchase was "sight unseen" and if so than I defer to Sid's comment "caveat Emptor". Hope all works out OK for you Jan.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:36 AM
Sage

We had a discussion about buying sight unseen after the first installment of the train noise started last year. I guess many people did buy sight unseen when it came to the actual house. Maybe they visited TV and just said "Yeah I'll buy one!".

I said it then and I'll say it again - This should serve as a cautionary tale to those of us who haven't made our purchase yet. Don't assume any seller, Realtor, developer or the like will disclose anything that is not legally required. Do your own investigation like you would on any major purchase. When I bought my current home my wife and I literally parked our car in front of the empty lot we were considering and stayed there most of the night to get a feel for the neighborhood noise etc. Talk Host obviously didn't do this but us wannabes can learn from these type of mistakes. Not that we won't make some other mistakes but...
Old 04-14-2008, 03:23 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Every time I see a question about maps on here, I recommend both the official TV map and the AAA map. The map from Triple A shows the tracks. The other map does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci
Just last night I dreamed that I bought a house at the end of an airport runway and couldn't do anything about it. Boy did I wake up with a foul headache.
Hi gf,

I would feel the same way about being at the end of a runway. Mr. Boomer, on the other hand, would consider that a feature. I guess it's all about The Pillow That You Dream On.

Boomer
Old 04-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Veteran member

Boomer, I agree about the maps. TV map only includes property/streets in the villages boundaries. This would exclude the railroad.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Founder

We actually spent several hours, on at least two occasions at our lot after we purchased it. We even had a picnic lunch here. Not one train passed during that time. It was not until the first day (first hour) when we moved in that the first train roared by with the horn blasting. After the fifth one that day, I called the agent. It so happened a train went by while I was talking to him. He swore he knew nothing about it.

Then, later that day, he called back and said that he had told us about it. Funny thing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.