Update on the train in my back yard in Chatham

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2008, 03:04 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Update on the train in my back yard in Chatham

Oh Jan -
I remember when you first mentioned this situation last year.
Seeing that video just blows me away.

I can definitely understand - it's not like some have mentioned before, "It's soothing to hear a train whistle in the distance"!

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:08 AM

I turned down the sound a little on my computer and it was still loud. That really is a shame because your pool looks fantastic and the view from your back yard looks great too.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:18 AM
Sage

to quote Meatloaf, two outa three ain't bad
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-15-2008, 11:52 AM

Real Estate Agents are licensed in Florida. The sales people from the villages have real estate licenses. I would suggest that you contact the Florida Licensing board with your complaint. Also Real Estate Agents carry what is referred to as Errors & Omissions Insurance. Suggest that you ask that agent to report this incident to his or her insurance company. You should contact a good attorney to handle this . Sounds like you have valid
issue. I have seen these issues before. The homewowner ususally wins, providing there was nothing in writing from the realtor. Of Course while the sales people from the Villages have real estate licenses, They are not REALTORS, there is a big difference.

Best of Luck

Old 08-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Sage

My guess is that TV developers, and by extension, their agents know the FLA real estate disclosure laws VERY well. TV management doesn't look like they do very much by the seat of their pants! If they didn't disclose it is, more than likely, not required. Let's remember that it isn't just Jan's house that is in question. He has many neighbors (maybe hundreds?) who are almost as inconvenienced. How far away is bothersome that they would have to disclose, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile etc? I think it is a moot point to consider any legal action. heck, we all have sympathy for the situation but that is about all we can offer. Anyone here a RE lawyer who could share some actual (FLA) law with us?
Old 08-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

I registered as a TOTV member last November after returning from our first visit. But I had been hanging out, reading posts for awhile. When I found TOTV for the first time, it was a result of having googled around because I knew that somehow, somewhere, out there in cyberspace, there surely had to be a place where information on something as big a deal as TV was being exchanged freely.

TOTV's information on TV is from primary sources. Those with first hand experience who are sharing what they know. I consider that to be the best kind of source for information.

And I gotta tellya, TH, your train issue was one of the first things I read here.

I read it before our visit.

TV offers many things to many people. But the real estate rules are different so it seems. Buyers need to know that going in so they can get things worked through and worked out.

And even though my full given name is Boomer Due Diligence BeBack, your posts about how you and your wife have been treated in all this caused me to sprout yet another antenna out of the top of my Boomer head.

I must admit that having all these antennas coming out of my head is becoming most unattractive. And now that the big hair days of the 80's are long gone, it is becoming most difficult to hide all these antennas. So if anyone knows anybody who has any information on stealth antennas, could you please forward it to me.

Boomer

Old 08-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
**Snip**I must admit that having all these antennas coming out of my head is becoming most unattractive. And now that the big hair days of the 80's are long gone, it is becoming most difficult to hide all these antennas. So if anyone knows anybody who has any information on stealth antennas, could you please forward it to me.
Boomer
Ummmmm, you could make yourself a tinfoil hat (google for online instructions), would hide those antennas AND protect yourself from government radio waves, and possible alien abduction.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Veteran member

In summarizing information from numerous sites, it appears Florida disclosure law requires owners to disclose any issues which may have a material affect on the value of the property which aren't "readily observable". No doubt, airports, high tension wires, train tracks etc are readily observable.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Platinum member

The Villages Street Map (yellow) does not seem to show the CSX Transportation tracks.
But the AAA Map shows it clearly.
Map of The Villages, Sumter County Florida (FL007).
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC
Ummmmm, you could make yourself a tinfoil hat (google for online instructions), would hide those antennas AND protect yourself from government radio waves, and possible alien abduction.
Hey KayakerNC,

Naaa, I am not worried about anybody abducting me or any of that other stuff. Are you kidding? You should see what I carry in my purse.

I just want to look good and the antennas are getting so hard to hide. But now that I look at your name, maybe I could borrow your kayak to wear on my head.

And I gotta tellya, I love that little "snip" for the snippy snippet you did. I may just have to borrow that. I always use those little dots in a row when I leave out part of a quote but your way is so much better.

And now I had better stop hijacking this v. serious topic and move forward with my life. TH is going to throw me out of here some day. (I can only hope.)

Vanity, thy name is Boomer
Old 08-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl
In summarizing information from numerous sites, it appears Florida disclosure law requires owners to disclose any issues which may have a material affect on the value of the property which aren't "readily observable". No doubt, airports, high tension wires, train tracks etc are readily observable.
OK...... I get it ...... but why can't people just "do the right thing" - and honestly disclose everything they know, even though it might be visible to an enthusiastic, anxious buyer ?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Founder

I feel like I should cover this part of our saga one more time.

The reason we moved to The Villages is that my wife has Multiple Sclerosis. She had to take a medical retirment from her job and her doctor told her she should find a location with as little stress as possible. Like most of you, we fell in love with the Villages after a visit from our Upstate New York home. We trusted what we were being told by the agent, and that was our mistake. The deal was done from afar.

After we moved in and found out about the train (after one hour), I called our agent, who at first denied that he knew about the train, then called back and said he had told us about it. He then suggested we sell the house and build a new one.

I contacted numerous attorneys. Most of them said that they in some way represent a portion of the Villages operation and could not take our case. Others said that we could not afford to fight the fight.

I sent a letter to Mark Morse and explained the situation and my wifes medical condition. He responded by suggesting, among other things, that we sell the house and move elsewhere.

Many of our neighbors want me to head up the battle about this on their behalf, but I want to retire like everybody else here. I don't want to be the general in charge of the war. Can you imagine what a monsterous challenge that would be. I sent a letter to the famous POA but got no response.

What is most frustrating is that had we known about the train, we would have simply built elsewhere. They would not have lost the sale.

My wife and I have resigned ourselves to the hand that was dealt to us. We all work hard for years to achieve our dream of a carefree retirement, but in our case, we slipped up by trusting when we shouldn't have, and now we are paying the consequenses. We look with envy on the thousands of others who live peacfully in the quiet zones of the Villages, and wish you all the very best in your retirement years. The Villages is a great place to live, and our little part of it will be tarnished for the rest of our lives.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Gold member

This a sad stain on the fabric of the reputation of The Villages. It is infuriating to think that the realtor knew of this and withheld the information. My anger would make it my mission to let everyone I could know about how you were deceived.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
I feel like I should cover this part of our saga one more time.

.... We trusted what we were being told by the agent, and that was our mistake. The deal was done from afar.

After we moved in and found out about the train (after one hour), I called our agent, who at first denied that he knew about the train, then called back and said he had told us about it. He then suggested we sell the house and build a new one.

Talk Host,

Who was your TV Realtor? No need to make any comments other than telling our "community" who it was you dealt with. Many folk have asked others who they used as a Realtor and I believe you can do the same. I really commend you for "hanging in there" in the face of such adversity. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:04 PM

Oh Wow! I see (hear) your problem. Good luck with some type of solution.

Another Jan (female)
New Jersey
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.