Update on the train in my back yard in Chatham

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Update on the train in my back yard in Chatham

[quote=Talk Host ]
I feel like I should cover this part of our saga one more time.

The reason we moved to The Villages is that my wife has Multiple Sclerosis. She had to take a medical retirment from her job and her doctor told her she should find a location with as little stress as possible. Like most of you, we fell in love with the Villages after a visit from our Upstate New York home. We trusted what we were being told by the agent, and that was our mistake. The deal was done from afar.

After we moved in and found out about the train (after one hour), I called our agent, who at first denied that he knew about the train, then called back and said he had told us about it. He then suggested we sell the house and build a new one.

I contacted numerous attorneys. Most of them said that they in some way represent a portion of the Villages operation and could not take our case. Others said that we could not afford to fight the fight.

I sent a letter to Mark Morse and explained the situation and my wifes medical condition. He responded by suggesting, among other things, that we sell the house and move elsewhere.

Many of our neighbors want me to head up the battle about this on their behalf, but I want to retire like everybody else here. I don't want to be the general in charge of the war. Can you imagine what a monsterous challenge that would be. I sent a letter to the famous POA but got no response.

What is most frustrating is that had we known about the train, we would have simply built elsewhere. They would not have lost the sale.

My wife and I have resigned ourselves to the hand that was dealt to us. We all work hard for years to achieve our dream of a carefree retirement, but in our case, we slipped up by trusting when we shouldn't have, and now we are paying the consequenses. We look with envy on the thousands of others who live peacfully in the quiet zones of the Villages, and wish you all the very best in your retirement years. The Villages is a great place to live, and our little part of it will be tarnished for the rest of our lives.

[/quote In addition to the downturn in the economy, have you looked into how much money you would lose if you did sell your home? If, indeed you would lose a substantial amount of money because of the train you were not told about it would seem that you have a case to collect for damages as well as punitive damages for the deceitfulness of the real estate agengy. There are attorneys everywhere. I bet if you continue to look you would find a youn, hungry lawyer whow would work on a contingency and love to take on Goliath. How many neighbors hear the same train like you do?]
Old 08-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Founder

[/quote In addition to the downturn in the economy, have you looked into how much money you would lose if you did sell your home? If, indeed you would lose a substantial amount of money because of the train you were not told about it would seem that you have a case to collect for damages as well as punitive damages for the deceitfulness of the real estate agengy. There are attorneys everywhere. I bet if you continue to look you would find a youn, hungry lawyer whow would work on a contingency and love to take on Goliath. How many neighbors hear the same train like you do?]
[/quote]

In answer to your question about the number of neighbors, I would guess it number is about 200. Most all of those that I have talked to tell me they were not informed of the train. At every block or house party we have, the subject comes up.

We checked into selling the house. A Villages agent came and did a valuation. She said that we would have to disclose the train. The sale figure she quoted to use was about $100,000 less than we paid to have it built. She also said that she thinks that if we did not disclose the train, that the buyer would have 3 years to come back after us.

You know, the biggest insult to this is that they charged us an extra $50,000 as a premium lot. $50,000 is nothing to them, but to us it was a significant part of our retirement savings.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host

In answer to your question about the number of neighbors, I would guess it number is about 200. Most all of those that I have talked to tell me they were not informed of the train. At every block or house party we have, the subject comes up.

We checked into selling the house. A Villages agent came and did a valuation. She said that we would have to disclose the train. The sale figure she quoted to use was about $100,000 less than we paid to have it built. She also said that she thinks that if we did not disclose the train, that the buyer would have 3 years to come back after us.

You know, the biggest insult to this is that they charged us an extra $50,000 as a premium lot. $50,000 is nothing to them, but to us it was a significant part of our retirement savings.
This is a human interest story. I would also go to "the press", including TV networks... "Americas Friendliest Hometown" doesn't want publicity that shows how you've been treated. I might have missed this but was the agency who initially sold you the property The Villages real estate agency? This thread has over 90 responses... does that tell you something? Your video is compelling as is your story. If you have to disclose the info to a new buyer why didn't the train info have to be disclosed to you? There are some very unhappy people in America's friendliest hometown. Call the POA again... they are going thru a transition... I think the officers got burnt out on the siding issue, another embarassing mess. They will at least print your story.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:38 PM

I have much empathy for you. Have you thought of an expose of sorts? Dateline, 20/20, 60 minutes sort of thing? You certainly have a VERY strong case. I'm sure you've thought of just about everything, but what do you have to lose by listing FSBO at a comfortable price, disclosing the fact that there are train tracks near by and just see what happens. Some people I'm learning love the sound of a train. You never know. I admire your resolve. Me - I would fight for the injustice! Also, as someone mentioned, there have to be starving lawyers out there who would work on a contingency basis.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:40 PM

Wow!! 200 homes @ $100k = $20Million lost in value. This could make a good lead, even considering the current overall Housing market.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Veteran member

Talk Host.... would you be willing to exchange your home for another home in TV of equal value ? Perhaps somehow you could persuade the TV-Boss to consider such an arrangement and they (TV-Boss) could use your old home as a Lifestyle Preview home and for a high-season rental ? :dontknow: This concept could work for the other disgruntled owners also, only if the TV-Boss had the good morals to amend the disclosure oversight.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIslandBabe
Talk Host.... would you be willing to exchange your home for another home in TV of equal value ? Perhaps somehow you could persuade the TV-Boss to consider such an arrangement and they (TV-Boss) could use your old home as a Lifestyle Preview home and for a high-season rental ? :dontknow: This concept could work for the other disgruntled owners also, only if the TV-Boss had the good morals to amend the disclosure oversight.
Hi CIB
I doubt that the powers that be and their lawyers would permit an exchange for one without opening themselves up to exchanges for many. As for the Lifestyle Preview, not many people would buy in TV if they were housed in an area with such a problem. It's a "first impression" thing.

I'm sorry to say that our Talk Host is caught between a rock and a hard place. He has to consider his wife's health condition before embarking upon a all-out legal battle. Much sympathy.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIslandBabe
Very interesting idea.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Founder

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this thread. Also my dear friend Tony has talked to me about it in the past.

I don't think I am doing myself any favors by showcasing this problem. If I were ever to decide to sell this house and move elsewhere, it would know as the "train" house. The developer is not ever going to do anything to mitigate this problem, so maybe I just better bury the topic. Maybe my guardian angle with think of something.

BTW, one of our earlier poster was exactly correct about the stress a long drawn out litigation would have on my wife's well being. I guess, as they say, we'll just have to suck it up.

Additionally, I have had several personal messages from people who said they decided to not move to The Villages because of this mess. Please, I don't want that to happen. This really is a great place to live and I don't want this to dissuade anybody. Just be thorough before you sign. I should have checked my stuff before I bought. The nuns at Madonna High School taught me to forgive. (difficult as that may be sometimes) I just don't have the energy to carry around a grudge for the rest of my life.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:56 PM

Jan- I really dislike anyone who would not have sympathy for your situation or anyone's similar real estate situation. We all try to remember to do all things "right." Some of us work hard at gaining information and are also lucky; others of us work just as hard for information but miss something and pay for it. Been there. I have empathy for the situation and if pushed, could get really mad for you! Of course, I know that wouldn't help anything either. Wishing you well.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Veteran member

Hmmmmm...... I have another brilliant idea.

You seem to have some background in communications or at least on-camera. How about making a short video of yourself, respectfully asking Mr-TV-Boss to remedy the disclosure omission......

with the sound of the choo-choo blaring in the background, and post it on U-Tube ?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Platinum member

At least TV could refund the $50,000 I believe that they charged you for a "Premium" lot.
Your lot is not premium, therefore it was misrepresented.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
I must admit that having all these antennas coming out of my head is becoming most unattractive. And now that the big hair days of the 80's are long gone, it is becoming most difficult to hide all these antennas.* So if anyone knows anybody who has any information on stealth antennas, could you please forward it to me.

Boomer
Boomer:

Here is a link to "stealth antennas." http://kd6tlf.fortunecity.com/stealthantennas.html* But seriously, I don't think you would look any better wearing a hummingbird feeder than you do with the antennas coming out of your head.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 08-16-2008, 01:47 AM
Gold member

OMG... the YOU-Tube idea is excellent... title it " 50 thousand dollar choo-choo view". It might get Mr TV bosses attention. Frankly, if I had heard this story before I moved here I would NOT have moved here.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:20 AM
Send a message via AIM to troubletog

are there other areas of the Villages that are affected by the trains or just the village of Chatham?
West Harwich, MA
Wilmington, NC
TV soon!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.