Updated my GPS

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj1213 View Post
Tom I have an adapter, you can just trot across the street and get it
There you go! If the camera dohicky doesn't work. All I have to do is cross the street and Dan doesn't have to spend an hour looking for his adaptor. Thanks Viv
Old 01-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Just in case you haven't heard of this - Do not put your actual home address in as HOME on your portable GPS. There are some unscrupulous people out there that will steal it and check out where HOME is and go there when you aren't there. We put in somewhere that will get us close to where we can find our way. I think we have TooJays on Canal St set as HOME.
Oh, you don't know my wife, if the address isn't exact she won't find her way home. She needs the GPS to find our mailbox down the street. Anyway the Garmin 2011 update covers all of Buttonwood. I haven't checked it out yet so don't know if it covers St. James and newer areas. When you buy a new Garmin, you are given a free upgrade within 60 days of purchase if a new upgrade is available. This is good since the Garmin you just bought may have been settng in a warehouse for a year or two, with old maps. I bought the Novi 1100 at Wallyworld for $99. It's small and simple and does everything my wife needs. It had an old map in it and the upgrade gave me just what I wanted that our old GPS didn't have. The old Gps just died and wasn't worth fixing if I could get a new one for $99.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:43 PM
Platinum member

What do they charge for an upgrade? Because we decided it would be good to have a GPS in NY, it might be better to buy a new GPS while in TV and update the new one there.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:42 PM

I paid I think like $75 for lifetime updates (4 times a year) We have had this Garmin for about 5 years. I like its directions so much more than the built in ones in both the car & truck we have
Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natickdan View Post
Does it have all of Buttonwood? I live on Gasparilla off of Triggerfish and my car's nav system did not have any info after St. Charles and Pennycamp. I may now be tempted to upgrade my software.
Yes it does.

And with the expected expansion of TV over the next 5 years, the lifetime map update option is worth it.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

I,too, have the lifetime upgrade and believe it is truly the best bang for the buck. I upgrade 4 times a year and therefore can take advantage of all the street additions. My honda built in gps upgrade is close to $200 every time I upgrade.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2at View Post
I,too, have the lifetime upgrade and believe it is truly the best bang for the buck. I upgrade 4 times a year and therefore can take advantage of all the street additions. My honda built in gps upgrade is close to $200 every time I upgrade.
$200!! I guess I now know why I have not been wooed by GPSs (or is it GPSes). Maps are free.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
$200!! I guess I now know why I have not been wooed by GPSs (or is it GPSes). Maps are free.
Other than a state Welcome Center on the interstate hwys, where are all these free maps?
Suffering from TV envy
Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
z - Certain brands/models of GPSes come with lifetime map updates at no additional costs after the purchase of the unit. TomTom markets several, for example. And to me, the marginally higher cost for those when new versus the lesser models without the "free" updates is far offset by the ability to download new maps 4 times a year to keep the GPS up to date.

I too used to be a "I don't need no stinkin' GPS" kind of guy. Give me a map and I'd have been as happy as a clam. But I decided to cave in and buy one several years ago...........and now I won't travel without one. I also find it useful in our local area when trying to find addresses in unfamiliar neighborhoods.

Bill
Old 02-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Platinum member

One of the nicest features is you can find restaurants and other points of interest that can't be found on a map.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.