Use of hose bib for irrigation of plants

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2022, 08:37 AM
Default Use of hose bib for irrigation of plants

Hello,
I have a garden area in the backyard (I'm in a Villa) that I would like to water using a drip irrigation system. I realize I could tap off of the existing zone that is in the same area, but I want the drip zone to run at a different schedule as the more established palms and shrubs, would be overwatered if they received the same amount of watering as the drip zone would require.

I am skilled at installing the system, but the only problem is adding a new zone to the existing system off the irrigation main would be a huge project and very costly. Using the nearby hose bib and drip system there is no need for trenching and burying pipe as it is a surface based system. (below the rock "mulch")

Wondering if there are any thoughts on Villages-specific issues using the hose bib for the drip zone (with a properly installed backflow preventer, etc.). I understand the general issues here and the water cost concerns, just wondering if there are Villages related issues you can think of.

(Please keep responses relevant to the subject asked.. I don't want this to turn into a "I hate the Villages irrigation systems" thread or something similar... that is not the point here.)

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr0773 View Post
Hello,
I have a garden area in the backyard (I'm in a Villa) that I would like to water using a drip irrigation system. I realize I could tap off of the existing zone that is in the same area, but I want the drip zone to run at a different schedule as the more established palms and shrubs, would be overwatered if they received the same amount of watering as the drip zone would require.

I am skilled at installing the system, but the only problem is adding a new zone to the existing system off the irrigation main would be a huge project and very costly. Using the nearby hose bib and drip system there is no need for trenching and burying pipe as it is a surface based system. (below the rock "mulch")

Wondering if there are any thoughts on Villages-specific issues using the hose bib for the drip zone (with a properly installed backflow preventer, etc.). I understand the general issues here and the water cost concerns, just wondering if there are Villages related issues you can think of.

(Please keep responses relevant to the subject asked.. I don't want this to turn into a "I hate the Villages irrigation systems" thread or something similar... that is not the point here.)

Thanks in advance.
This may not matter but hose bib water is connected to your house water so if you have a water softener the plants will get the softened water
Old 06-22-2022, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
I can't imagine there being any issues, as far as The Villages is concerned. I've seen this done several times, and there are kits available (as I'm sure you're aware of) that makes this very doable.

And you're correct about adding another zone to your existing irrigation system. Not a quick job. Also, I've read many posts suggesting not to water using reclaimed water, if you're growing veggies. Of course if you live north of 466, your irrigation water is potable.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,962 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
The only issue is you will be paying for potable water and an increase in your sewer charge. It’s only money.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
The only issue is you will be paying for potable water and an increase in your sewer charge. It’s only money.
Very true-- but I will be running the zone for the palms a lot less - which will give at least some offset to the cost and prevent overwatering the plants that don't need that much water.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:30 AM

Regarding Villages-specific issues, you may want to read over your covenants & restrictions. Ours has a Water Resources section that seems to apply here.

Changing out the heads on the existing zone with lower gallon heads might allow you to extend the zone into your garden area without over watering the more established palms and shrubs.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:53 AM
Veteran member

I’ve done that with a timer attached to the bib from Amazon. You can schedule when it runs.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
Another option (IMHO) if you can, install an additional manual valve in the existing irrigation line, just AFTER the tap for the drip watering system. Set you irrigation for the drip zone requirements, and adjust the manual valve to lower the flow to the existing plants. I think this will work, but may require some fine tuning.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
I’ve done that with a timer attached to the bib from Amazon. You can schedule when it runs.
Exactly what I just did. I used a B-Hyve WiFi hose controller. Ran some 1/2" flexible irrigation tubing underground about 8 feet from the bib to the citrus tree I wanted watered. Even knows when it rains as it is connected to the internet and reads my weather station data (as does my irrigation controller) so it skips the schedule. Probably overkill but I like that kind of stuff. Uses a lot less water than having to run the full irrigation zone which is located on the opposite side of the house from the irrigation relay box. . I used a "Y" hose splitter so I don't lose use of the connection. Edited to add: on the "tree side" I used a regular low volume irrigation pop-up connected to the tubing with a 90 degree 1/2" threaded barb to sprinker head thread with the water restricted at the bib end to about 20% full opened. Each side of the "Y" is individually controlled.

Edit edit: I have a couple of MANUAL dual hose Orbit/B-Hyve hose controllers (no wi-fi). If anyone is interested PM me. One is "new sealed" and the other is used.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-06-22 18.00.25.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	94287  
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 06-23-2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:06 AM
Default Softener is after hose bibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
This may not matter but hose bib water is connected to your house water so if you have a water softener the plants will get the softened water
Hose bibb is installed before the water softener but still gets billed as potable water. Very expensive way to go.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

You could turn the zone into an all drip system. You mentioned that this zone does shrubs and palm trees. Each leg of the drip system can have a bubbler(s) with different flow rates, more to a tree and less to a plant. I also use spray heads in my drip system to spray large areas with an adjustable spray. It’s easy to convert a sprinkler head to a drip system manifold
Old 06-23-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
I tried that, but the back flow preventer dripped constantly.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:41 AM
Default Irrigation of plants

I used a battery powered Orbit multi hose Outlet Hose Watering Timer with surface tubing with different sprayers to each of 12+ potted/inground plants for years. Allowed scheduled days/times watering length no digging or fooling with main water system. Very inexpensive and easy quick to install. They sell kits with tubing, sprayers, spliters/angles. Only need a scissor to cut rubber tubing. Kind of fun putting together check it out online i.e. Amazon
Old 06-25-2022, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
I can't imagine there being any issues, as far as The Villages is concerned. I've seen this done several times, and there are kits available (as I'm sure you're aware of) that makes this very doable.

And you're correct about adding another zone to your existing irrigation system. Not a quick job. Also, I've read many posts suggesting not to water using reclaimed water, if you're growing veggies. Of course if you live north of 466, your irrigation water is potable.
Far as using reclaimed water on edible crops, I've asked several times. Cooperative extension the reply was we will get back to you-and they never did.

I believe the reclaimed water is marginally treated. You are not supposed to drink it. I expect it's quality varies over the year. Insecticides? Dog waste? Your crops are likely hit with your in ground sprinkler system, so it is hit with the recycled water. I am not aware of anyone who got sick from eating produce due to reclaimed water.
Closed Thread

Tags
system, zone, drip, irrigation, bib

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.