Use Ya Blinkah!!

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 AM
Default Use Ya Blinkah!!

While walking out and about in our neighborhood myself and also with my dogs, I cannot believe the discourteous, rude drivers who do not use their directional signals at intersections, and also just blow through stop signs, without even slowing down. This was a major topic of discussion up in New England last year, so all the electric signs on the Mass. Pike had a message which read "Use Ya Blinkah!" I even use, maybe overuse, my blinker around the rotaries so people know where I am going, no guessing games! Takes a second to flick the lever. Maybe some of the speed limit machines along Buena Vista, Morse 466, 441, etc. can have that message added. Thoughts??
Old 01-26-2015, 08:26 AM

Most of these people have been driving for miles with their blinkers on and have simply ran out of turning fluid.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:39 AM
Sage

I often walk and when I see cars pulling out of roads or venues like rec centers they don't use directionals, making it very difficult for pedestrians to know where to walk and what to avoid. If I see that a car wants to turn and I'm in the way I quickly move but with no directional I don't know which way to walk to avoid them. Using your signal would sure be appreciated, not only as your fellow drivers but as a pedestrian as well.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:43 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueclark View Post
While walking out and about in our neighborhood myself and also with my dogs, I cannot believe the discourteous, rude drivers who do not use their directional signals at intersections, and also just blow through stop signs, without even slowing down. This was a major topic of discussion up in New England last year, so all the electric signs on the Mass. Pike had a message which read "Use Ya Blinkah!" I even use, maybe overuse, my blinker around the rotaries so people know where I am going, no guessing games! Takes a second to flick the lever. Maybe some of the speed limit machines along Buena Vista, Morse 466, 441, etc. can have that message added. Thoughts??
And let's add ... this mean ALL forms of transportation. I drive ALOT in TV's and I am always amazed by the lack of concern some driver's, including cars, carts, and bikes have for their fellow Villagers. Be careful out there, this thread won't change a thing.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:50 AM
Default I saw this the other day - fits perfectly with Sue's remark

blinker-jpg
Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueclark View Post
I agree it's a problem.
Especially when a golf cart driver uses his blinker once and then leaves it on for the next hour!
A letter to the Editor in the Daily Sun, and also one in the online newspaper, would reach more residents.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

Just assume everyone is out to get you and never, never trust someone's blinker, especially around here. Drive very defensively and pay close attention to your surroundings.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

I do my best to drive as if everyone near me is an accident waiting to happen. As Walter says, "drive defensively". As sad as it may be, that really is the only way that we can protect ourselves.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:27 AM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

In addition to all the above, I find the blinkers on the golf carts inadequate in size. They are VERY hard to see especially in bright sunlight. Does someone know if larger, bolder blinker lights are available?

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 01-26-2015, 10:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
I do my best to drive as if everyone near me is an accident waiting to happen. As Walter says, "drive defensively". As sad as it may be, that really is the only way that we can protect ourselves.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
In addition to all the above, I find the blinkers on the golf carts inadequate in size. They are VERY hard to see especially in bright sunlight. Does someone know if larger, bolder blinker lights are available?
Yeah, the newer carts have LED blinkers and in the rear some have an additional set on the roof and some also have them in the cockpit at eye level to remind the driver that they are on. I know I don't always here the beep, beep, beep if I'm listening to my MP3 through speakers. DON'T EVER USE HEADPHONES!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
Yeah, the newer carts have LED blinkers and in the rear some have an additional set on the roof and some also have them in the cockpit at eye level to remind the driver that they are on. I know I don't always here the beep, beep, beep if I'm listening to my MP3 through speakers. DON'T EVER USE HEADPHONES!!!
I ALWAYS use headphones....but, I don't stick my arm out to turn like it's 1950... I used those new fangled things called electronic turn signals...
Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
Try Carts and clubs in Ocala. They install LED blinkers on the windshield vertical support inside and out. It provides a better view for others to see, and it reminds the driver that his/her blinker is on.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

I have a neighbor who refuses to use her turn signals: "I don't want people to know where I'm going."
Try to reason with that!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Oye. Eight more weeks.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.