Use Ya Blinkah!!

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2015, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Someone told me the last time I was there that people in the left lane in round-a-bouts have priority, is that correct? If so, that means if they enter the r.a.b. in the left lane, they could turn across a vehicle in the right lane and not be at fault if there is a wreck? Hmmm.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Someone told me the last time I was there that people in the left lane in round-a-bouts have priority, is that correct? If so, that means if they enter the r.a.b. in the left lane, they could turn across a vehicle in the right lane and not be at fault if there is a wreck? Hmmm.
Sounds like someone bringing a local rule from their previous location to TV. The left lane has no priority. Occupying the left lane only means that they can proceed straight, go 3/4 around to accomplish essentially a left turn or go all the way around to accomplish a U turn. Right lane can only make a right turn or go straight.

The only "priority" I can think of for the left lane is that right lane drivers should not block them from exiting at their proper exit by driving up beside them within the roundabout. Always stagger.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Sounds like someone bringing a local rule from their previous location to TV. The left lane has no priority. Occupying the left lane only means that they can proceed straight, go 3/4 around to accomplish essentially a left turn or go all the way around to accomplish a U turn. Right lane can only make a right turn or go straight.

The only "priority" I can think of for the left lane is that right lane drivers should not block them from exiting at their proper exit by driving up beside them within the roundabout. Always stagger.
Mike - that's the best explanation of how to use a rotary that I've seen on TOTV. Concise and accurate.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Thank you, Mike!
Old 01-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:

I find that the right lane drivers are usually scared stiff to even be in the circle and that is why they hug the outside right lane ............... they are the ones that scare the heck out of me.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:

I thought it sounded like a bunch of crap, but, there's a lot to learn when I get there about fact and fiction. 😳
Old 01-28-2015, 06:42 PM
Gold member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
That is my understanding of the correct way to drive the circles, BUT I totally disagree with this rule. To me it is no different that driving down the four lane 441/27 in the inside (left) lane and quickly making a right turn in front of the traffic in the outside lane. And of course just as it is now, never using a turn signal.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Gold member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazz View Post
warren, you are absolutely right! Most of the drivers who don't signal in the circles are, also, victimized by other drivers who do it to them. For safety's sake, and expediting traffic, we should all be as predictable as possible.

I think your estimate, based on my anecdotal observations, is highly understated. I believe the actual percentage is over 90%.
i happened to be in the area of the glenview circle this morning.
Chazz you were right on the mark. I viewed the circle from the Savannah parking lot and was able to do a traffic count of over half of the circle. My findings... Of 137 vehicles in less than 30 minutes, , only 7 used their turn signals to indicate their intentions. Unreal huh ?? I am astounded and totally confused why drivers don't use turn signals.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
i happened to be in the area of the glenview circle this morning.
Chazz you were right on the mark. I viewed the circle from the Savannah parking lot and was able to do a traffic count of over half of the circle. My findings... Of 137 vehicles in less than 30 minutes, , only 7 used their turn signals to indicate their intentions. Unreal huh ?? I am astounded and totally confused why drivers don't use turn signals.
Yes, and I was one of them! Going north on BV and in the RAB getting ready to indicate to those southbound on BV that I was leaving the RAB to continue north. But a red car coming east on El Camino came racing up to the RAB like he wasn't going to stop, so I took my hand away from the stalk to grab the wheel with both hands in case I had to turn quickly. Fortunately he slammed on the brakes and didn't come out far enough that I had to make an evasive maneuver. But it was too late for me to put my turn signal on. Sorry.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Yes, and I was one of them! Going north on BV and in the RAB getting ready to indicate to those southbound on BV that I was leaving the RAB to continue north. But a red car coming east on El Camino came racing up to the RAB like he wasn't going to stop, so I took my hand away from the stalk to grab the wheel with both hands in case I had to turn quickly. Fortunately he slammed on the brakes and didn't come out far enough that I had to make an evasive maneuver. But it was too late for me to put my turn signal on. Sorry.
Glad you didn't get hit!
Old 01-30-2015, 03:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
In addition to all the above, I find the blinkers on the golf carts inadequate in size. They are VERY hard to see especially in bright sunlight. Does someone know if larger, bolder blinker lights are available?
your arms are available, use hand signals
Old 02-01-2015, 05:06 PM

absolute definition of defensive driving
Old 02-02-2015, 09:19 AM

We live on a corner. Not only do people not use their blinkers, they think that the STOP sign is there for decoration. About 80% of the people just turn without stopping at all. Why do people think that living in The Villages gives them the right to ignore the law??
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.