USPS Bureaucracy

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2020, 07:56 AM

I am sorry for your trouble. Personally, I am happy and grateful that Amazon has gone back to UPS. My carrier, on multiple occasions, has confiscated all my mail if a small package arrives - she says my box is too full instead of putting it in a locker. She insists I "see her" (when she is there) to get my mail, then has literally screamed at me on the two times I saw her, causing me to insist all confiscated mail be brought to the mail station so I do not have to see the carrier. There have also been other problems with USPS, not related to the screams of this carrier. Guess nothing is perfect. So happy to have packages at my door again! Again, sorry for your trouble.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:05 AM

Back to the old saying, “you got what you paid for”. USPS made lucrative contracts with FedEx and UPS to have packages dropped at USPS for cheap alternatives to shippers. Next time pay a premium shipping price and you’ll get premium service. It’s not the fault of any shipping company. It’s the shipper who wanted rick bottom shipping deal. Call the shipper but it will cost you more for better service.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:33 AM

If that ever happened, you wouldn't be able to afford the postage,
Old 09-30-2020, 08:48 AM

I had the same UPS/USPS combo as they were delivering a small package. I had a temporary Mail Forwarding on my house because I was away, and the USPS decided that rather than forwarding the package (as the post office is instructed to do) they decided to destroy the package. I went to the tracking site and saw the message that the package has been destroyed. Wow.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbum View Post
The error was on UPS’s part, not the USPS. It is cost prohibitive for the USPS to individually redirect every package that is dropped with them in error. Your package was one of many that are received every day. The most efficient way is though established logistics. It is not antiquated to run a business in the most cost effective means possible.

Your beef is with UPS.
Absolutely correct. That said, it’s sad people here now have nothing better to do than complain about nothing on the internet to people they don’t know probably hoping to have others validate their frustrations.

How about a post noting that many of us shop on line receiving literally a hundred or more packages a year as expected.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,044 Times in 5,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lions View Post
Absolutely correct. That said, it’s sad people here now have nothing better to do than complain about nothing on the internet to people they don’t know probably hoping to have others validate their frustrations.
Irregardless of that how do you really feel about this?
Old 09-30-2020, 09:25 AM

Cut the good people at USPS some slack. They deliver 160 billion pieces of mail every year. UPS and AMAZON have been sucking the post office dry for years with their last mile delivery for pennies. Bully
Old 09-30-2020, 10:05 AM

The postal service is a complicated system. Carriers must not deviate from their assigned rout. You are correct in saying that UPS created this mess. Perhaps if shipping was by USPS there would be no problem.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisbwp View Post
The postal service is a complicated system. Carriers must not deviate from their assigned rout. You are correct in saying that UPS created this mess. Perhaps if shipping was by USPS there would be no problem.
UPS is a very reliable operation and almost always stuff comes as scheduled.

Wish the post office could figure out how to be more efficient.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Irregardless of that how do you really feel about this?
Yes, I am a word nerd. Ouch that one hurt.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Yes, I am a word nerd. Ouch that one hurt.
One of my favorite words that is not normally used.

I do believe that "irregardless" has found its way into some dictionary.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:18 PM
Platinum member
Default Therapy fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcuse View Post
ups (united parcel service) handed off a shipment which was scheduled for late sunday delivery in the villages to usps for the final leg of delivery on sunday morning at 9:07 am. The problem started when ups delivered the package to the leesburg post office not the lady lake post office sunday morning. But leesburg isn't that far away so perhaps we still had a chance for sunday delivery. Wrong.

Package arrives at leesburg post office sunday at 9:07 am. Package checked in at leesburg post office at 9:36 am monday morning. Sounds logical since they likely don't work sundays although deliveries are scheduled and made sundays by usps regularly. We saw their truck in our neighborhood sunday and thought our package was coming. Wrong again. Sunday evening we received a tracking update that said our shipment was rescheduled for monday delivery. Never happened.

Tuesday morning i received a tracking update saying shipment was now scheduled for wednesday. I called the lady lake post office and spoke with a supervisor and asked why would it take from sunday morning to wednesday sometime (hopefully) to deliver a package from leesburg. He said there is no transportation between individual post offices so leesburg post office sent our package late yesterday to the usps distribution center in orlando which will send the package back to lady lake and if they receive it on time will deliver it tomorrow (wednesday). Inefficiency at its best.

If ups had delivered it correctly to lady lake on sunday morning i wouldn't be writing this post. It just seems that simple logic would dictate that if customer service meant anything at all to usps personnel that this error could have easily been corrected by having their sunday delivery guy bring the package either to our address from leesburg or to the lady lake post office for monday delivery, but i am sure they are restricted by their antiquated procedures. And yes, i discussed this with the supervisor at usps.
personally i believe hedwig does a better job delivering mail and parcels
Old 09-30-2020, 01:38 PM
Default Budget constraints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcuse View Post
UPS (United Parcel Service) handed off a shipment which was scheduled for late Sunday delivery in The Villages to USPS for the final leg of delivery on Sunday morning at 9:07 am. The problem started when UPS delivered the package to the Leesburg Post Office not the Lady Lake Post Office Sunday morning. But Leesburg isn't that far away so perhaps we still had a chance for Sunday delivery. Wrong.

Package arrives at Leesburg Post Office Sunday at 9:07 am. Package checked in at Leesburg Post Office at 9:36 am Monday morning. Sounds logical since they likely don't work Sundays although deliveries are scheduled and made Sundays by USPS regularly. We saw their truck in our neighborhood Sunday and thought our package was coming. Wrong again. Sunday evening we received a tracking update that said our shipment was rescheduled for Monday delivery. Never happened.

Tuesday morning I received a tracking update saying shipment was now scheduled for Wednesday. I called the Lady Lake Post Office and spoke with a supervisor and asked why would it take from Sunday morning to Wednesday sometime (hopefully) to deliver a package from Leesburg. He said there is no transportation between individual post offices so Leesburg Post Office sent our package late yesterday to the USPS Distribution Center in Orlando which will send the package back to Lady Lake and if they receive it on time will deliver it tomorrow (Wednesday). Inefficiency at its best.

If UPS had delivered it correctly to Lady Lake on Sunday morning I wouldn't be writing this post. It just seems that simple logic would dictate that if customer service meant anything at all to USPS personnel that this error could have easily been corrected by having their Sunday delivery guy bring the package either to our address from Leesburg or to the Lady Lake Post Office for Monday delivery, but I am sure they are restricted by their antiquated procedures. And yes, I discussed this with the supervisor at USPS.
In your particular case UPS does share some blame, but I've seen the same issue with USPS back in my small town in PA. USPS has been closing some sorting locations as a cost saving measure. I my town this occurred a few years back, and mail destined for a town less than 10 miles away took longer to deliver because it had to be routed to Harrisburg, 2 hours away, to be sorted and then driven back up to our area. Expect more of these types of delays as the USPS becomes more of a business than a service.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:55 PM

There is no logic when it comes to the USPS. Even though Leesburg is not that far from The Villages, they really do not have a way to transport your package here because it's against their regulations. Their only option was to put it back in the mail, which unfortunately now has to go back to Orlando to get here. When they started with all the automation is when all this nonsense started too. This same thing happens if you get a letter that is addressed to someone else. You have to put it back in the system, it goes to Orlando to be sorted and then back to the correct address hopefully this time.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
UPS drops off at Post Office because the shipper of the package asks them to. It is less expensive to ship UPS to USPS to you than UPS to you.

Dropping off UPS packages is a major source of income for the US Post Office.
And just to add to your correct answer, the service is called UPS MAIL INNOVATIONS. Whoever thinks it was a UPS ERROR to bring it to the USPS then USPS to you can read about the service here: UPS Mail Innovations | Streamline, optimize, and synchronize your mail processes It's a cost savings (CHEAPER) service for MASS SHIPPERS. Fedex has a similar operation called SMARTPOST you can learn about here: FedEx SmartPost | FedEx
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Closed Thread

Tags
sunday, post, package, office, leesburg

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.