USPS Bureaucracy

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2020, 10:42 AM
Default USPS Bureaucracy

UPS (United Parcel Service) handed off a shipment which was scheduled for late Sunday delivery in The Villages to USPS for the final leg of delivery on Sunday morning at 9:07 am. The problem started when UPS delivered the package to the Leesburg Post Office not the Lady Lake Post Office Sunday morning. But Leesburg isn't that far away so perhaps we still had a chance for Sunday delivery. Wrong.

Package arrives at Leesburg Post Office Sunday at 9:07 am. Package checked in at Leesburg Post Office at 9:36 am Monday morning. Sounds logical since they likely don't work Sundays although deliveries are scheduled and made Sundays by USPS regularly. We saw their truck in our neighborhood Sunday and thought our package was coming. Wrong again. Sunday evening we received a tracking update that said our shipment was rescheduled for Monday delivery. Never happened.

Tuesday morning I received a tracking update saying shipment was now scheduled for Wednesday. I called the Lady Lake Post Office and spoke with a supervisor and asked why would it take from Sunday morning to Wednesday sometime (hopefully) to deliver a package from Leesburg. He said there is no transportation between individual post offices so Leesburg Post Office sent our package late yesterday to the USPS Distribution Center in Orlando which will send the package back to Lady Lake and if they receive it on time will deliver it tomorrow (Wednesday). Inefficiency at its best.

If UPS had delivered it correctly to Lady Lake on Sunday morning I wouldn't be writing this post. It just seems that simple logic would dictate that if customer service meant anything at all to USPS personnel that this error could have easily been corrected by having their Sunday delivery guy bring the package either to our address from Leesburg or to the Lady Lake Post Office for Monday delivery, but I am sure they are restricted by their antiquated procedures. And yes, I discussed this with the supervisor at USPS.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:55 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcuse View Post
UPS (United Parcel Service) handed off a shipment which was scheduled for late Sunday delivery in The Villages to USPS for the final leg of delivery on Sunday morning at 9:07 am. The problem started when UPS delivered the package to the Leesburg Post Office not the Lady Lake Post Office Sunday morning. But Leesburg isn't that far away so perhaps we still had a chance for Sunday delivery. Wrong.

Package arrives at Leesburg Post Office Sunday at 9:07 am. Package checked in at Leesburg Post Office at 9:36 am Monday morning. Sounds logical since they likely don't work Sundays although deliveries are scheduled and made Sundays by USPS regularly. We saw their truck in our neighborhood Sunday and thought our package was coming. Wrong again. Sunday evening we received a tracking update that said our shipment was rescheduled for Monday delivery. Never happened.

Tuesday morning I received a tracking update saying shipment was now scheduled for Wednesday. I called the Lady Lake Post Office and spoke with a supervisor and asked why would it take from Sunday morning to Wednesday sometime (hopefully) to deliver a package from Leesburg. He said there is no transportation between individual post offices so Leesburg Post Office sent our package late yesterday to the USPS Distribution Center in Orlando which will send the package back to Lady Lake and if they receive it on time will deliver it tomorrow (Wednesday). Inefficiency at its best.

If UPS had delivered it correctly to Lady Lake on Sunday morning I wouldn't be writing this post. It just seems that simple logic would dictate that if customer service meant anything at all to USPS personnel that this error could have easily been corrected by having their Sunday delivery guy bring the package either to our address from Leesburg or to the Lady Lake Post Office for Monday delivery, but I am sure they are restricted by their antiquated procedures. And yes, I discussed this with the supervisor at USPS.
UPS could have delivered it instead of pass off to USPS
Old 09-29-2020, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

USPS continues to work in strange ways. Efficient is not in their work flow
Old 09-29-2020, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Not really. The package was shipped by UPS MAIL INNOVATIONS which means it is handed off to the local post office. If you join and pay for UPS MY CHOICE (or pay $3 per package) you can request a direct UPS delivery of those packages which SOMETIMES takes longer. On rare occasions UPS will continue the delivery.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Not really. The package was shipped by UPS MAIL INNOVATIONS which means it is handed off to the local post office. If you join and pay for UPS MY CHOICE (or pay $3 per package) you can request a direct UPS delivery of those packages which SOMETIMES takes longer. On rare occasions UPS will continue the delivery.
UPS MyChoice is available with a lengthy free trial period where you can upgrade unlimited packages. Once I signed up, they sent me a coupon for a years worth for $15. Definitely worth that. I despise UPS SmartPost. Nothing smart about it.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
UPS MyChoice is available with a lengthy free trial period where you can upgrade unlimited packages. Once I signed up, they sent me a coupon for a years worth for $15. Definitely worth that. I despise UPS SmartPost. Nothing smart about it.
Yea, I ran a UPS store for 4 years before I "permanently" retired. That's probably why they don't send me coupons. SMARTPOST is the FEDEX version of MAIL INNOVATIONS and that is horrendous although I must say more often FEDEX SMARTPOST skips the P.O. forward than UPS Mail Innovations does, at least down here. Up north neither of them ever did. The only UPS MyChoice coupons I can find are for 2-3 months.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:12 PM

And what did you expect from USPS, who is forced to hire people who can't even read????
Old 09-29-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
It's called "last mile". USPS cheaper in that last mile. I purchased a wheel chair on line from Amazon, you guessed it it was delivered to the PO. I had to go get it!
Old 09-30-2020, 05:08 AM

The error was on UPS’s part, not the USPS. It is cost prohibitive for the USPS to individually redirect every package that is dropped with them in error. Your package was one of many that are received every day. The most efficient way is though established logistics. It is not antiquated to run a business in the most cost effective means possible.

Your beef is with UPS.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcuse View Post

Does anyone know the rules or reason why UPS delivers most packages but sometimes drops them at the post office? Does the post office get paid for this? Is it to give the post office workers a little more to do and save UPS a little delivery money? I’ve asked post office clerks and UPS carriers, and they say they don’t know.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:16 AM

Your lucky, my package from nyc was supposed to be delivered by 8 pm Friday night!
Saturday morning no package
Checked the tracking number
Package was in postal distribution location in Wisconsin!
Why? How? Don’t Know
Maybe they were practicing for mail in ballots
Old 09-30-2020, 06:19 AM

This package most likely had the wrong zip code and was directed accordingly . This often happens when a business looks up our addresses here in the Villages and puts Wildwood zip code or Oxford etc. Wildwood , leesburg get a lot of misdirected mail due to mailer not using The Villages Zip Codes which are unique - Not Usps issue but mailer. If I put my address in gps, it shows Wildwood not the Villages
Old 09-30-2020, 06:38 AM
Default Government and efficient don't go together.

Take it away from the government and let it become a private business, then a ton of money saved for the tax payer and it will be run efficently.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:20 AM
Platinum member
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
Does anyone know the rules or reason why UPS delivers most packages but sometimes drops them at the post office? Does the post office get paid for this? Is it to give the post office workers a little more to do and save UPS a little delivery money? I’ve asked post office clerks and UPS carriers, and they say they don’t know.
The post office does get paid. My last two came no problem.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
UPS drops off at Post Office because the shipper of the package asks them to. It is less expensive to ship UPS to USPS to you than UPS to you.

Dropping off UPS packages is a major source of income for the US Post Office.
Closed Thread

Tags
sunday, post, package, office, leesburg

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.