USPS. You’ve got to be kidding

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2018, 04:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

It seems to me a very significant piece of information is missing in the discussions.

What percent of the so called "TV mail" is for within TV only?

I would guess that the majority (greater than 80%) of the mail is for non villages destinations.

In my earlier post in this thread I suggested imagining your living room filled floor to ceiling and wall to wall with "mail". Now from that room full of mail sort out the 20% or less pieces destined for delivery in TV.

A point being overlooked or even minimized is the sheer volume of mail the postal system is designed to handle.
The system(s) are geared for volume.

When one stops to consider the millions/billions of pieces of mail from the millions of points of origination and the millions of points of destination, hourly/daily, it is truly remarkable what is actually accomplished.

And out of the millions and billions there will always be a very small percentage of isolated incidents.

An interesting subject with a multitude of perspectives!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2018, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

I believe it was Harvard Business School that said the FedEx model was doomed to failure.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
It seems to me a very significant piece of information is missing in the discussions.

What percent of the so called "TV mail" is for within TV only?

I would guess that the majority (greater than 80%) of the mail is for non villages destinations.

In my earlier post in this thread I suggested imagining your living room filled floor to ceiling and wall to wall with "mail". Now from that room full of mail sort out the 20% or less pieces destined for delivery in TV.

A point being overlooked or even minimized is the sheer volume of mail the postal system is designed to handle.
The system(s) are geared for volume.

When one stops to consider the millions/billions of pieces of mail from the millions of points of origination and the millions of points of destination, hourly/daily, it is truly remarkable what is actually accomplished.

And out of the millions and billions there will always be a very small percentage of isolated incidents.

An interesting subject with a multitude of perspectives!!!!!!

Your wisdom is not lost on ME. Glad you post on this forum billethekid.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:01 AM

I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania and there, as well as most of the other small towns in the area, there is a LOCAL mail slot for things going within the town. This would allow the local post office to simply sort that mail like they do mail coming in from the hubs. Seemed to work great at literally no extra cost.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:10 AM
Platinum member

Or you could have hand delivered it yourself in 15 minutes, but that is, of course, none of my business.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Putting your mail in someone’s home mailbox (if we had one) is actually illegal. Google it. Hand delivery is a great idea to me.

I understand where the OP is coming from but the way the mail is handled is necessary based on volume. I think someone’s name on this thread is Newman!

If we mail something where time is important we go to the Post Office on Teague Trail. Great results every time.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:23 PM

2-day service is 2 business days after the package is shipped.....therefore it arrived on time.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck90199 View Post
UPS might not be the best way. Funny (odd) story. On May 28th I ordered a prescription refill from a new mail-order pharmacy, paying extra for 2-day delivery. They shipped it UPS instead of USPS, and it got a tour of the southeast US. Kansas to Kentucky to Florida, then back to Kentucky, and a return the next day to Florida. Here's the screen shot of the shipment progress. So my 2-day delivery only took 4 days.
You mAy have ordered it on the 28th but, the pharmacy did not ship the order until the 30th so your 4 days is now down to 2. You never count the day shipped as time in transit...it is 2 business days after that so, your 2-day delivery was was delivered on time.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen12 View Post
The reason the PO doesn't make money is because they're NOT ALLOWED TO BY THE FED GOV. If they make money the Gov. TAKES IT AWAY. Sending a letter is the cheapest thing in this country. That letter TRAVELS ALL over until it catches up with who it is supposed to get to. If the PO goes public, rural res. will NOT GET MAIL DELIVERED. The cost will sky rocket! I can send a pkg through the mail cheaper than UPS. UPS has varied charges depending on the market. PO is ONE SET PRICE THOUGH OUT THE US.
I remember a time when a Government contractor was the low bidder to build a concrete block building in a remote area in Alaska. None of the other contractors could figure out how to transport the concrete blocks to the area at a reasonable price. But, the successful contractor packaged each block in brown paper and sent them individually through the USPS.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:42 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rga20 View Post
I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania and there, as well as most of the other small towns in the area, there is a LOCAL mail slot for things going within the town. This would allow the local post office to simply sort that mail like they do mail coming in from the hubs. Seemed to work great at literally no extra cost.
Same here, I grew up in Ford City, Pa. and we had the same setup, local and out of town. These small town facilities handle a minimal amount of mail and employees have more time to sort. Coleman's (just south of Wildwood) Postoffice is closed during lunch hour, never heard of that before.
Closed Thread

Tags
envelope, area, postal, delivery, deliver

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.