USPS. You’ve got to be kidding

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2018, 09:03 AM
Location: Brooklyn, Staten Island, Mount Hope, NY, Villa De Laguna
Default USPS. You’ve got to be kidding

I mailed a first class envelope within the same zip code and within a mile of post office to someone. Well the envelope has to travel 60 miles to Orlando just to come back here for delivery. You think they would see the address in the same postal area and deliver it. This is why they don’t make money and costs keep going up.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:08 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Imagine checking every envelope for zip code here (don’t think they would have a scanner) — the time, manpower, etc. Trucks going to/from Orlando do so at least twice daily. I imagine it is much more cost effective to have Orlando do the sorting rather than here. That is why they have distribution centers.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-02-2018, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD215 View Post
I mailed a first class envelope within the same zip code and within a mile of post office to someone. Well the envelope has to travel 60 miles to Orlando just to come back here for delivery. You think they would see the address in the same postal area and deliver it. This is why they don’t make money and costs keep going up.
Unrealistic expectation!!!
The sorting equipment is in Orlando.....not TV.
They consolidate all mail in Orlando......if they did not it would be days longer and cost even more. Hand sort for a specific zip code.

Just stop and think a while longer about that.

Think about your living room being filled from wall to wall and floor to ceiling and then being told to go get the pieces of mail from your zip code out of the pile!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2018, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
I believe The Villages is considered a rural postal area. Add a day is what I was told. The main thing is that the service here is quite good.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2018, 09:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Think that's rather circuitous?

I recently tracked an email, sent to my brother across the dinner table. The tracer route told me it went to Europe and Asia before ending up here a couple of seconds later. I was trying to figure out if had gone through any satellites. Possibly.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Imagine checking every envelope for zip code here (don’t think they would have a scanner) — the time, manpower, etc. Trucks going to/from Orlando do so at least twice daily. I imagine it is much more cost effective to have Orlando do the sorting rather than here. That is why they have distribution centers.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

In our experience it is better to bring a time sensitive pieces of mail to the Post Office instead of the slot where we pick up our mail. They know what they are doing moving the mail around. I can see how the OP would come to the conclusion that this is why money is being lost but this isn't the hole in the boat.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:09 AM
Sage

What's really puzzling is why it takes (sometimes) 10 days for a card to get from the midwest to here or vice-versa. THEN a different time it takes only 2 to 3 days. We mail accordingly, with the 10 day thing in mind!!!
Old 06-02-2018, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I think the OP yearns for the good 'ole days.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-02-2018, 10:24 AM
Veteran member

Decaf. Jim, Decaf.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

NOTE TO SELF: Add Post Office to the list of things Villagers want to be in charge of.

Instead could send it UPS and it will probably go thru Georgia or FedEx and it would probably go thru Memphis..... both about 20 times the cost I would think.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
NOTE TO SELF: Add Post Office to the list of things Villagers want to be in charge of.

Instead could send it UPS and it will probably go thru Georgia or FedEx and it would probably go thru Memphis..... both about 20 times the cost I would think.
UPS might not be the best way. Funny (odd) story. On May 28th I ordered a prescription refill from a new mail-order pharmacy, paying extra for 2-day delivery. They shipped it UPS instead of USPS, and it got a tour of the southeast US. Kansas to Kentucky to Florida, then back to Kentucky, and a return the next day to Florida. Here's the screen shot of the shipment progress. So my 2-day delivery only took 4 days.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 1.42.43 PM.png
Views:	93
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	75254  
Old 06-02-2018, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Old 06-04-2018, 06:03 AM

The reason the PO doesn't make money is because they're NOT ALLOWED TO BY THE FED GOV. If they make money the Gov. TAKES IT AWAY. Sending a letter is the cheapest thing in this country. That letter TRAVELS ALL over until it catches up with who it is supposed to get to. If the PO goes public, rural res. will NOT GET MAIL DELIVERED. The cost will sky rocket! I can send a pkg through the mail cheaper than UPS. UPS has varied charges depending on the market. PO is ONE SET PRICE THOUGH OUT THE US.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:33 AM
Veteran member
Default Post OFFFF

Welcome to the PO and to Florida

Don't expect too much,,,,,,,,,,,,, don't expect period
Closed Thread

Tags
envelope, area, postal, delivery, deliver

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.