VA Center in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2011, 02:08 AM
Veteran member
Default VA Center in The Villages

What types of services are available at the VA center in TV? I served in the US Air Force four years early on in my young adult life. Will be retiring to TV ... soon.

Gene
Old 08-02-2011, 05:30 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

The short answer is "It changes weekly". The clinic is new, about one year old, and they are still staffing up. They have been having some personnel recruitment problems, I think, so services have been slowly expanding since they opened. Some are way overbooked (i.e. five months to get a new hearing aid AFTER you have the exam and they decide you need a new one). The optical department is up and running but the vendor who provides eye glasses has not opened yet (was scheduled for April and they missed that date) so you still have to go to Ocala or Gainesville to pick up new glasses. Once everything is up and running, the VA Clinic at TV will provide most every service except surgery and some of the more esoteric diagnostic tests. Of course, once you get in the VA system, the VA Hospital in Gainesville (or others around Florida) can do just about anything. I understand it is becoming increasingly hard to get into "the system" lately, especially for treatment for non-retirees or non-service connected disabilities.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 AM

Bryan gave you the straight scoop. When they get their initial ducks in a row it is going to be a class act and truly outstanding medical facility. I'd suggest you review the info on the VA.gov site to see what priority you will be in, that will determine what you can expect. For non-service connected the priorities determine co-pays, if any, and eligibility for routine service. Service connection and validated as such in the system is a bit easier, but the web site should be the best source. I have been treated by USAF medical facilities for 49 years, until moving to the Villages a year ago and once they are fully staffed the VA experience is top notch and will surpass what I was used to.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Email Reported As Spam

It is my understanding that 4 year vets no longer qualify for VA benefits, medical etc.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
It is my understanding that 4 year vets no longer qualify for VA benefits, medical etc.
If correct, that would be a shame. Especially for those vets who really need the services. I served for 4 years and fortunately have not needed that benefit, but don't like the idea.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:56 PM
nkrifats

If you are not already with the VA, you will have to qualify.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Veteran member
Default 4-year rule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrifats View Post
If you are not already with the VA, you will have to qualify.
If serving 4 years in the military doesn't qualify someone for VA benefits, how would one qualify? Is the 4-year rule, as has been suggested, a fact?

Gene
Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Sage

I believe a non-lifer short timer (like me and you) will qualify if they have a net worth of less than $85K. With the way the economy is going that prospect isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 AM

No one suggested that 4 years does not qualify you for VA benefits. Most VA benefits are available after 90 days active duty. Full medical care is not one of them. It is based on a myriad of facts, primarily is a condition as a result of connection to military service. There could be thousands of examples, the one that stand out, is if you were in the USAF during Vietnam and exposed to Agent Orange and have developed diabetes then you would receive a percentage of disability, based on many many factors of the disease. The percentage is even a figure that is varied. If you worked on the flight line and have hearing problems, then that could be a basis for a disability determination. Just two examples.

Again, go to the VA.gov site to get the particulars. Complete a VA Form 10-10EZ, Application for Health Benefits. If you are determined to have service connected issues, such as I have outlined above, then you will be placed in a priority system based on severity and other facts which include, as also outlined above by someone else, the ability to pay.

It is not a simple straightforward issue and be patient, whatever you do. Having said all of that I'll give you another example, my daughter-in-law spent 2 and 1/2 years in the Army 20 plus years ago. Her husband has been out of work for nearly 3 years, their income is near the poverty level and she has not had medical care for quite some time. She went to the VA several months ago, went thru the "means" process, and as you could imagine is now getting all of her medical care by the VA.

There is a Veterans Service Office in the Sumter County County Building on 466A near Wildwood also which is another source of information. I have not been there yet but I am sure that they have brochures as well as access to web sites.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
No one suggested that 4 years does not qualify you for VA benefits. Most VA benefits are available after 90 days active duty. Full medical care is not one of them. It is based on a myriad of facts, primarily is a condition as a result of connection to military service. There could be thousands of examples, the one that stand out, is if you were in the USAF during Vietnam and exposed to Agent Orange and have developed diabetes then you would receive a percentage of disability, based on many many factors of the disease. The percentage is even a figure that is varied. If you worked on the flight line and have hearing problems, then that could be a basis for a disability determination. Just two examples.

Again, go to the VA.gov site to get the particulars. Complete a VA Form 10-10EZ, Application for Health Benefits. If you are determined to have service connected issues, such as I have outlined above, then you will be placed in a priority system based on severity and other facts which include, as also outlined above by someone else, the ability to pay.

It is not a simple straightforward issue and be patient, whatever you do. Having said all of that I'll give you another example, my daughter-in-law spent 2 and 1/2 years in the Army 20 plus years ago. Her husband has been out of work for nearly 3 years, their income is near the poverty level and she has not had medical care for quite some time. She went to the VA several months ago, went thru the "means" process, and as you could imagine is now getting all of her medical care by the VA.

There is a Veterans Service Office in the Sumter County County Building on 466A near Wildwood also which is another source of information. I have not been there yet but I am sure that they have brochures as well as access to web sites.
Now this is a man that uses his head for something other than a hat rack.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Veteran member

Many thanks, KB8TPW...

That is very useful info!

Gene
Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
as also outlined above by someone else, the ability to pay.

Sounds like your daughter-in-law had a net worth of less than $85K and was a vet and therefore qualified for VA benefits.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Sounds like your daughter-in-law had a net worth of less than $85K and was a vet and therefore qualified for VA benefits.

It's more complex than that. As Kb8 said in his post, a service connected disability as a lot to do with the priority into which the vet is placed. Higher priorities have no means test.
Patience is key. Nothing at V.A. is quick.
As a snowbird I chose to keep my primary care up north. With the staffing problems at the clinic in TV I find the care to be better in NY. Before I head south in the fall I make sure to see all the docs and have enough refills on my meds to keep me going through the winter. If I need to speak with one of my docs they are a phone call away.
I also schedule optometery and audiology up north. Works for me.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.