VCCDD Utility Increase

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Gold member
Default VCCDD Utility Increase

It is getting harder for retirees on fixed incomes to just stay even.

Our latest bill states there will be a 2.5% "scheduled increase" for water and sewer effective October 1, 2013. I also see that Social Security increase is expected to be less than 2% and that CPI is currently at 1.8 %. Wonder what the justification is then for the water and sewer rate? Or is it just amenity fees that are tied to CPI?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,300 Times in 536 Posts

TV "Utilities for dummies" is a read that I need. I have no idea how the Utilities, specifically water and sewer works in The Villages including who (if anybody) regulates them. Even if it's a private utility isn't it regulated and required to hold hearings on rate increases etc.?

Maybe someone can enlighten us. I know that some with homes near the Baccal golf course are constantly upset with sewer smell when the wind is blowing a certain way. I have played the course when the odor was bad. This is where "regulation" would be important. Again, I'm a dummy regarding the TV Utilities but OP has a legitimate concern.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
It is getting harder for retirees on fixed incomes to just stay even.

Our latest bill states there will be a 2.5% "scheduled increase" for water and sewer effective October 1, 2013. I also see that Social Security increase is expected to be less than 2% and that CPI is currently at 1.8 %. Wonder what the justification is then for the water and sewer rate? Or is it just amenity fees that are tied to CPI?
What will that translate to in dollars? Maybe $5? Cut out out one martini and it is taken care of.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
What will that translate to in dollars? Maybe $5? Cut out out one martini and it is taken care of.
Gee, I wish I had thought of that before posting the question. Maybe if I gave up a hundred martinis I would be able to handle all of the food, fuel and medical increases too. Oh wait a minute, I don't drink martinis.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:49 PM

I have been able to more than offset increases to utilities, amenities and lawn care and even medical services this past year by using village grocery delivery services to always mazimize my food savings on sale and BOGO items( which an be bulky and/or heavy for me to handle alone ). this delivery service offers regular discounts that offset the small delivery fee so even after adding in reasonable tips to the shopper/ driver. I cut my food budget by close to 100 dollars a month. without any major changes to my diet.

Home - Village Grocery Delivery, LLC.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
Gee, I wish I had thought of that before posting the question. Maybe if I gave up a hundred martinis I would be able to handle all of the food, fuel and medical increases too. Oh wait a minute, I don't drink martinis.
Well, since I don't drink martinis either maybe I could cut out a prescription medication since I need water and to use the toilet. Serious posts seem to end up with non serious replies more and more frequently. Would prefer posts to keep on point and not get hijacked into "just for fun."
Old 10-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Sage

Really, no snarky replies were called for on my posting. I suggested that the 2.5 percent increase on water and sewer amounts to about $5. Give up a little bit of a non-essential that you will not miss.

Did your salary increases always keep up with annual costs of living? Adjustments have to be made maybe in number of times going out to dinner per week, movies, championship golf, or whatever. A small reduction in something non-essential can add up.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Gold member

Not having worked for government or being a union represented employee there were quite a few years my salary did not keep up with costs of living and we went for years of pay freezes without cost of living adjustments. There were many years that a second job was needed to help make ends meet.Wasn't trying to be snarky, but without stepping into the forbidden land of politics, how many times have we heard recently that a small saving of a few hundred thousand or even a few million on this or that program or fraud and waste elimination in terms of the total budget or deficit, only amounts to a fraction of a percent? Somehow IMO, the small numbers get overlooked, yet over time they do add up. But maybe I am from a different generation.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Veteran member

my current sewer/water total is 41.93 and a 2.5% increase is 1.05...doesn't seem outrageous to me but....jmho
Old 10-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Pennies make dollars!
I for one am 100% in the camp of an accounting for any increases from any utility! service! eat al.

We are the only element in the equation that DOES NOT have tHe arbitrary ability to increase revenue.

btk
Old 10-18-2013, 04:15 PM

There is an annual 2.5% increase through 2021.

http://www.districtgov.org/departmen...20-2011-12.pdf
Old 10-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
my current sewer/water total is 41.93 and a 2.5% increase is 1.05...doesn't seem outrageous to me but....jmho
Maybe not, but as I once told a salesperson trying to get me to buy something (door-to-door) and telling me, "It's only $5.00 a month", if that were the only $5.00 a month I had to pay, then perhaps I could do it. That being said, if this is the only increase, $1.05, then everyone could most likely do it. When everything keeps going up other than income, then those "small" increases add up.

One of my employers favorite mantra was: "Pennies make dollars". Believe me, he watched every single penny and was a multi-millionaire in part due to living what he believed to be true.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 10-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsanborn View Post
There is an annual 2.5% increase through 2021.

http://www.districtgov.org/departmen...20-2011-12.pdf
So it's a 25% total "rate adjustment" over the next 8 years. Maybe that's more than a few martinis over time. Anyone wonder what the adjustment is based on, if there was a rate hearing or, was this just part of the "deal" when the utility was sold. I remember when folks got behind recycling and it was implemented in TV. Unlike recycling in other communities it doesn't pay for itself. A charge was added to trash bills, and we had to use "approved" recycling bags.(purchased by homeowner, another small amount) Despite the fact that in many homes the recyclables removed a great deal from the regular trash collections and reduced tipping fees, there has been no reduction in our trash bills. The trash collection activity was sold to private individuals and along with that came a substantial growing income stream with rate increases guaranteed for the future.

If you live here long enough and keep the small stuff in mind, you learn that the small amounts add up over time.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,300 Times in 536 Posts

Something is missing in this discussion----like who decides this increase and is there a Regulator in this equation somewhere? Where I come from, utilities have to answer to a commission----but we live in a CDD----I can't believe that should make a difference.

Again, maybe someone can enlighten us how our Utilities "work" here in TV. 2.5% increase may not sound like much but if it's 2.5% compounded over the next 9 years---you are talking some real money.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Something is missing in this discussion----like who decides this increase and is there a Regulator in this equation somewhere? Where I come from, utilities have to answer to a commission----but we live in a CDD----I can't believe that should make a difference.

Again, maybe someone can enlighten us how our Utilities "work" here in TV. 2.5% increase may not sound like much but if it's 2.5% compounded over the next 9 years---you are talking some real money.
I might be wrong as my wife frequently points out, but I believe these utilities north of CR 466 were sold by the developer and are privately owned and not considered public utilities. The fact that they appear on Village District bills just mean that District Government does the billing and collections. I also think that the covenants relating to utilities that we signed were transferred to the new utility owners.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.