Vehicle License Tags

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2017, 04:14 PM
Default Vehicle License Tags

Hello - we are new to TV as well as Florida and need to register and get new plates for our vehicles. In Illinois, we go to the Secretary of State local offices. IS there a DMV in Florida, a Secretary of State, do you go to Tax Collector? Any information will be helpful. Also, what is the yearly cost for vehicle tags?

Thank You
Old 07-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakley View Post
Hello - we are new to TV as well as Florida and need to register and get new plates for our vehicles. In Illinois, we go to the Secretary of State local offices. IS there a DMV in Florida, a Secretary of State, do you go to Tax Collector? Any information will be helpful. Also, what is the yearly cost for vehicle tags?

Thank You
County Tax Office. There's one at CR466 and Morse.
You have a Florida Driver's License and declared Florida your home yet?
Also need an Insurance certificate and old registration and title.
AND they need to physically SEE the car to determine VIN number.
Cost? Too much but I bet it's lower than Ill.
There's hundreds of style of plate to choose from.
Go online a pick a pretty one.
Does your old state require you to return their plates? Some states do.

Skip
Old 07-17-2017, 04:34 PM

You can also go down to the Sumter County Govt. Building on Powell Rd and 466A . As I recall it is initially expensive to retag and retitle but the renewals thereafter are relatively cheap compared to the mid-western states. You do have to surrender your old license and obtain one issued by Florida. Your old insurance is also no good. You have to change it so it is in compliance with FL statutes and you need a Florida Insurance card. It is often times easier to buy a Florida policy locally and just cancel the old insurance. The back home insurance agent is often not likely to be familiar with the Florida Auto Insurance quirks. If you try to register your car without these two items, forget it. You are wasting your time.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Veteran member

U might also need ur Birth Certificate. The State of Florida Didn't take my original from 1949. It cost me $60 to get one that they excepted. Just a Head's Up....
Old 07-17-2017, 04:42 PM
Gold member
Default Re: License plates

Quote:

Thank You
The government offices are located in the back of the Pinellis library.

Compared to what is was like in NY it was well thrilling-fast. As I recall you will need proof the car is insured in Florida. You will also want to get a Florida driver's license-that too is at the same location. Cost for plates-I don't really recall but it was about the same as in NY. The only strage thing is they charge you a fee for the first time you get the plate ?????? 50 ish.

I expect like us you will come out way ahead. Same insurance coverage-we have top coverage-is about half of what it used to cost us in NY. Unlike in NY there is no state inspection. That used to be yet another waste of time and money.

While your there get a library card and unless you are keeping another house in a high tax state you can file for the resident deduction-yup, same place. Oh, and you can register to vote-same place.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:

Thank You
As mentioned above, the Sumter County Gov't Building with the gold dome next to Pinellas Plaza (Winn Dixie) corner of 466A and Powell Rd is probably closest to you if you're in the newer areas. Here's a link to their website, it's important to bring all the documentation they ask for. I had a birth certificate issued by the hospital and they didn't accept it, had to be official from the health department or not good. All that info is on the website.

Randy Mask - Sumter County Tax Collector

After you've been here awhile you'll get use to that bulding, it also contains a library. When you go in the front door turn right and proceed to the area at the end. If your car is newer than six months, I would wait to buy tags unless you have sales tax of 7% where you previously lived. I had bought a new car in Maryland where tax was 6%, they will charge you the 1% or whatever the difference amounts to. I waited 25 days and saved myself $90. The car tags were $450 the first time, so I didn't want to pay anymore than I had to. The examiner suggested it to me, so we just got our driver's license and then came back 25 days later and got the car tags. Renewal tags will only cost about $100 for 2 years, much better after the initial hit, that's all part of living in a state with NO state income tax.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:36 AM
Talking Vehicle Tags

Thank You everyone for all of the information. Does seem quite different than Illinois - we will collect all necessary documents and head on over. Hopefully, we can get this accomplished in 1 trip.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:58 AM

Our house is actually located in Marion County. Can we still go to a location Sumter County? Thank You
Old 07-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

We live in Marion too. There is a license office across from Wal-mart on 441.....
Old 07-18-2017, 07:57 AM

What about Lake County for driver's license/tags? We are moving to Pine Ridge in a few weeks.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Platinum member

ANY County Office in ANY county can issue STATE plates, you can do it in Dade County if you're down that way. But if you want a plate with LAKE or MARION on the bottom, stay in your own county.

Skip
Old 07-18-2017, 10:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,012 Times in 453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
ANY County Office in ANY county can issue STATE plates, you can do it in Dade County if you're down that way. But if you want a plate with LAKE or MARION on the bottom, stay in your own county.

Skip
Skip, is there an advantage to having a county name on your plate, such as being able to use a county dump or park or whatever?
Old 07-18-2017, 02:09 PM

In 2013 Illinois DID NOT require you to return the IL plates they were also a lot less expensive than Florida plates. Auto Insurance was also less expensive in Kane County IL
Old 07-18-2017, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbill70 View Post
In 2013 Illinois DID NOT require you to return the IL plates they were also a lot less expensive than Florida plates. Auto Insurance was also less expensive in Kane County IL
I was able to insure two cars in Maryland for just $60 more than it costs to insure one car in Florida. The problem is Florida is a no fault state, meaning they wanted to make sure you had medical coverage whether the other car had insurance or not. This has caused the rates to increase. In 2014 Florida paid the 5th highest insurance rates in the nation. Lawmakers have considered making changes.

Lawmakers to weigh costs, benefits of no-fault insurance repeal - Sun Sentinel
Closed Thread

Tags
vehicle, secretary, state, florida, tags

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.