Vehicle Registration But Living Out of State

Vehicle Registration But Living Out of State

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 10:11 AM
Platinum member

Florida vehicle insurance is nearly double what I pay in Wisconsin.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Old 02-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Veteran member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

We live in both Massachusetts and the Villages and have a car we leave in Florida registered with Florida plates. The car should technically be registered in the state where it is primarily garaged. The insurance in Florida is a little higher for us, but not much. As mentioned by others, Florida does not require an annual inspection or emission test like Massachusetts, so having it registered in Florida saves us a major headache and lots of money. Our cars check engine light is on because of a code that says it needs a new catalytic converter, which is very expensive to replace. The catalytic converter does not at all make the car run any better so we ignore the light at the advise of our mechanic. If the car was registered up north it would fail inspection until the catalytic converter was replaced.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

Just a note that you aren't required to go to the office in the county where you reside; any office is fine if you happen to be out and about. There is a large fee of $200-300 (as I recall) the first time you register, but typically around $50 in subsequent years. After the initial registration you can easily renew online.

My insurance here is pretty much the same as it was in Texas.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkie View Post
If you are from NYS, you can have your car titled, registered and leave it here. Because it will have no NYS inspection, you will not be able to drive it back to NY unless you get it inspected immediately. I've been doing this now for two different registration periods and have had no problem.

HUH? If it is REGISTERED AND PLATED AND INSURED in FL you can't drive it in NY without inspection? Makes no sense. What am I (and thousands of New Yorkers who travel north who have homes here) missing?
Old 02-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
If you plate in Florida, you must have Florida insurance. I found Florida insurance was significantly higher than up North.
Plus, when you go in to register a car you are bringing in from another state for the first time there is a 225 dollar tax. By the time you register it you will end up spending about 350 for a two year registration. I just did 2 cars last year. Insurance was almost double what I paid in NC.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:47 PM

My payment was $488.50 for register my car from NY last month. My tags are good until 2021.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2019, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

Some insurance companies will suspend coverage’s not required while your vehicle is not used. (Leave in your garage when you go back up North)
Old 02-03-2019, 09:27 PM

Property tax per year on our van is $625 per year, $60 per year for registration and $120 every 2 years for state vehicle inspection.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:00 PM

Location: Pennsylvania, new home in the Village of Osceola Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
If they are from a northern state chances are they have an annual inspection process to go through. If they don’t register in FL. they would need to do a yearly trek north to get it inspected.
In Pennsylvania there are no requirements for an annual inspection of a PA plated car kept out of state... We kept our PA plated car in our TV garage for use here for three years. BUT, here's the thing: if you bring the car BACK INTO PA, you have 30 days to get the inspection.

Also, on the insurance; we have ALLSTATE, when we went back to PA (without our car), we "turned off" our regular insurance for the TV car in garage and SAVED a ton!

Check with your insurance company in the North... again, for at least Pennsylvania, you can keep your PA plated car in FL without any issues.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:11 PM

Interesting discussion. If you want to register your vehicle in Florida but do not have legal domicile in Florida, it can be problematic. The state where domicile is held may (at least some states do) have processes in place to identify those registering vehicles in a state they are not legal resident to avoid taxes in their resident state. They will penalize according to their laws
Closed Thread

Tags
vehicle, what’s, state, living, registration