Vehicle Registration But Living Out of State

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2019, 12:47 PM

My payment was $488.50 for register my car from NY last month. My tags are good until 2021.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2019, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

Some insurance companies will suspend coverage’s not required while your vehicle is not used. (Leave in your garage when you go back up North)
Old 02-03-2019, 09:27 PM
Veteran member

Property tax per year on our van is $625 per year, $60 per year for registration and $120 every 2 years for state vehicle inspection.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:00 PM
Location: Pennsylvania, new home in the Village of Osceola Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
If they are from a northern state chances are they have an annual inspection process to go through. If they don’t register in FL. they would need to do a yearly trek north to get it inspected.
In Pennsylvania there are no requirements for an annual inspection of a PA plated car kept out of state... We kept our PA plated car in our TV garage for use here for three years. BUT, here's the thing: if you bring the car BACK INTO PA, you have 30 days to get the inspection.

Also, on the insurance; we have ALLSTATE, when we went back to PA (without our car), we "turned off" our regular insurance for the TV car in garage and SAVED a ton!

Check with your insurance company in the North... again, for at least Pennsylvania, you can keep your PA plated car in FL without any issues.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:11 PM

Interesting discussion. If you want to register your vehicle in Florida but do not have legal domicile in Florida, it can be problematic. The state where domicile is held may (at least some states do) have processes in place to identify those registering vehicles in a state they are not legal resident to avoid taxes in their resident state. They will penalize according to their laws
Old 02-04-2019, 04:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There is no problem in doing this. But first check that your insurance company can insure your car in FL.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duppa View Post
In Pennsylvania there are no requirements for an annual inspection of a PA plated car kept out of state... We kept our PA plated car in our TV garage for use here for three years. BUT, here's the thing: if you bring the car BACK INTO PA, you have 30 days to get the inspection.

Also, on the insurance; we have ALLSTATE, when we went back to PA (without our car), we "turned off" our regular insurance for the TV car in garage and SAVED a ton!

Check with your insurance company in the North... again, for at least Pennsylvania, you can keep your PA plated car in FL without any issues.
Where is this written? So you’re saying that when you drive back to PA. with say a 3 year old expired inspection or emissions sticker and you get stopped at the tolls by a state trooper he’ll tell you it’s okay, you have 30 days to get a new stickers, go forward.
I can tell you from first hand experience that’s not going to work, I’ve been issued a ticket for an expired inspection that was only 1 month overdue in PA.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Where is this written? So you’re saying that when you drive back to PA. with say a 3 year old expired inspection or emissions sticker and you get stopped at the tolls by a state trooper he’ll tell you it’s okay, you have 30 days to get a new stickers, go forward.
I can tell you from first hand experience that’s not going to work, I’ve been issued a ticket for an expired inspection that was only 1 month overdue in PA.
For another state the law says you get the car inspected when you return. But the problem is what happens if you get stopped just after you arrive in the state. Did not seem to be a satisfactory answer.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
My bad, it's 10 days, not 30.... per DMV.PA.Gov site:
11. What is the procedure for a PA registered vehicle reentering the commonwealth that has an expired safety inspection sticker?
A vehicle subject to inspection, which has been outside this commonwealth continuously for 30 days or more and which, at the time of reentering this commonwealth, does not bear a currently valid certificate of inspection, is not required to be inspected until 10 days after reentering this commonwealth.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duppa View Post
My bad, it's 10 days, not 30.... per DMV.PA.Gov site:
11. What is the procedure for a PA registered vehicle reentering the commonwealth that has an expired safety inspection sticker?
A vehicle subject to inspection, which has been outside this commonwealth continuously for 30 days or more and which, at the time of reentering this commonwealth, does not bear a currently valid certificate of inspection, is not required to be inspected until 10 days after reentering this commonwealth.
What I don't understand is what would stop ever driver without an inspection from simply telling the law enforcement officer that they just returned from out of state? Does the driver of the un inspected vehicle need some form of proof that they just returned from an extended time in another state?
Old 02-05-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
What I don't understand is what would stop ever driver without an inspection from simply telling the law enforcement officer that they just returned from out of state? Does the driver of the un inspected vehicle need some form of proof that they just returned from an extended time in another state?
The answer is found in the law as reported on the DMV.PA.GOV website. After returning to the Commonwealth (PA), the out-of-inspection vehicle owner has ten days to get the car inspected. How to "prove" you just returned is a tricker issue (whatever the actual circumstances or the actual arrival time may be) I would think it would be very wise to get your inspection set-up with a documented appointment with your local garage/service center PRIOR to reentering the Commonwealth. If you were stopped by law-enforcement at the border or shortly thereafter you could give law-enforcement the information on your service appointment. If you reentered the Commonwealth without an appointment, you ought to be prepared to get your appointment and inspection within 10 days (not actually an easy fix, especially if you had some issues that might require extra time to fix/repair). At end, I think the law is written to allow you to keep your PA car out-of-state. HOWEVER (fair-warning), you put yourself at risk if you do not take due-diligence to PROVE your good intentions by setting up your appointment prior to returning... and completing that inspection process as quickly as possible. I would suppose that law-enforcement is on the look-out for fraud and they may ticket-first-ask-questions-later where YOU will have to prove your case in court. So, do the right thing is the wise move.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkie View Post
If you are from NYS, you can have your car titled, registered and leave it here. Because it will have no NYS inspection, you will not be able to drive it back to NY unless you get it inspected immediately. I've been doing this now for two different registration periods and have had no problem.
I was considering purchasing a used car down here in TV, registering and insuring it here and leaving it at a family members house in NY. Do you think that would be a problem?
Old 02-13-2019, 07:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcm80 View Post
I was considering purchasing a used car down here in TV, registering and insuring it here and leaving it at a family members house in NY. Do you think that would be a problem?
Technically your car is supposed to be registered and insured in the state where it is primarily garaged. If you own a home in The Villages but keep the car in New York, I guess you could claim its primary garage place is Florida and you just brought it to NY for a short visit? How could anyone prove otherwise?
Old 02-13-2019, 08:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcm80 View Post
Yes. The insurance co will want to know where it is garaged and that will affect the cost of the insurance. NY will want the car reg with them since it is based in NY
Old 02-13-2019, 09:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Yes. The insurance co will want to know where it is garaged and that will affect the cost of the insurance. NY will want the car reg with them since it is based in NY
NY will also want the car registered with them so they can get the associated fees and the municipality can charge the owner an excise tax on the car.
Closed Thread

Tags
vehicle, what’s, state, living, registration

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.