Venting about Sumter Grand

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2018, 03:36 PM
Angry Venting about Sumter Grand

The true test of a facility is not when everything is running smoothly. The true test is when there is an issue that needs solving. Sumter Grand is failing the test. They erroneously took $4,662 from my 85 year old widowed mother's checking account (causing her to overdraw it) 8 days ago and I can't get them to return it. They acknowledged they made a mistake, but fixing it? That is not happening. All they do is make excuses and stall. Okay, mistakes happen, I get it. But they should FIX IT! Not give us the run around. Who can afford something like that? And now the Exec Dir won't even return my calls. Not a very caring attitude for their clientele. Beware!
Old 04-13-2018, 03:37 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I used to run assisted livings, and I know Sumter Grand is independent. However, call the corporate office. Ask for the Regional Director and if that does not work, ask for the VP of Operations. You will have a call from the ED and your check refunded. Promptly.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:41 PM

Did that. They have an automated answering system and I left a message. No response. I'm so frustrated.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:44 PM
Gold member

Call Adult Protective Services and report financial exploitation of a resident if no one responds on Monday. Let them deal with it.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:45 PM
Gold member

Also go into the building and ask who the Ombudsman is, they are an advocate for complaints of residents. I am not 100% sure if they go into Independent Living but the will let you know. The Ombudsman number will be either posted in Sumter Grand or Sumter Place.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:53 PM
Veteran member

When my mother went into an assisted living home they wanted to handle all of her finances and bank accounts.........no thank you, i'll handle that myself....
Old 04-13-2018, 08:28 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

There are 2 sides to every story...I'd love to hear theirs as well as your tone when you voiced the mistake. As for the money isn't your mothers account protected from theft??? If not....why not??? Why haven't you mentioned calling the bank with a stop payment????

If they did as you say...then it will be resolved properly. On the other hand if a person goes off the deep end in their complaining then all bets are off.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Also go into the building and ask who the Ombudsman is, they are an advocate for complaints of residents. I am not 100% sure if they go into Independent Living but the will let you know. The Ombudsman number will be either posted in Sumter Grand or Sumter Place.
Another vote for the Ombudsman. There should be a sign hanging in the lobby or near the activities board; wherever the required postings are. And it is a required posting. They do go into independent living facilities. Ombudsman is a state sponsored third party volunteer advocate and they get results. The facilities do not want to get crosswise with the state. I sympathize with the urgency of this issue and can imagine your frustration.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:48 PM
Sage

Try Seniors Againest Crime here in The Villages to see if they've gotten other complaints.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
There are 2 sides to every story...I'd love to hear theirs as well as your tone when you voiced the mistake. As for the money isn't your mothers account protected from theft??? If not....why not??? Why haven't you mentioned calling the bank with a stop payment????

If they did as you say...then it will be resolved properly. On the other hand if a person goes off the deep end in their complaining then all bets are off.
How exactly should the tone sound over a $4662 mistake? Like Mr. Rogers or Mr. Green Jeans? Or the Grinch? What would your tone sound like?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2018, 03:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:

OP is looking for advice, from those who have knowledge in this field. You are a little harsh for a new poster. Or maybe you have some insight to this matter on a personal note
Old 04-14-2018, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

Would you consider 8 days enough time to resolve that properly? I would consider it reprehensible.

You can't stop payment on a withdrawal. And the bank isn't going to insure you against an entity that has automatic withdrawal approval.

You're making a lot of assumptions in your reply. Yours is the tone that sounds pretty bad.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:40 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Would you consider 8 days enough time to resolve that properly? I would consider it reprehensible.

You can't stop payment on a withdrawal. And the bank isn't going to insure you against an entity that has automatic withdrawal approval.

You're making a lot of assumptions in your reply. Yours is the tone that sounds pretty bad.

Amen. OP, so sorry this happened to you. I hope you get a resolution very soon. Even if you do, please report this to the Florida Attorney General’s Office. You can do this online, and it could result in helping others and curtailing unethical practices like this. I hope your mother is doing well.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
There are 2 sides to every story...I'd love to hear theirs as well as your tone when you voiced the mistake........ On the other hand if a person goes off the deep end in their complaining then all bets are off.
Sumter Grand acknowledges they erroneously took $4662 from the account of an 85 year old woman.
And your response is to accuse Doglover of using an indignant tone of voice when highlighting the issue?
They've had 8 days to fix the problem. And you're implying that Dog lover has gone off the "deep end"?
I personally think that Doglover has been very patient.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:13 AM
Sage

Those that have the money don't like to release it. Years ago I paid the full balance of a Visa Card bill with a check. The bank erroneously withdrew 10 times that amount. It didn't overdraw the account, but when we went to the bank with the cancelled check in hand they said it would take two to three weeks to put the money back. Wrong! We pointed out that since they withdrew it instantly, they could put it back instantly, which they did. With that we closed the account.
Closed Thread

Tags
test, true, grand, return, sumter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.