Venting about Sumter Grand

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2018, 08:51 AM
Sage

Sumter Grande consists of independent living high-rental apartments. As such it doesn't offer "care" per se. I toured it once and I think that The Villages amenity fees, Comcast, and two meals per day are among the items included in the rent.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:27 PM

Call the Florida Ombudsman at 888.831.0404
This is the state run program to assist Seniors to keep their rights. Being financially finagled is not one of her rights.
You can also file a complaint online at:
Ltcopinformer@elderaffairs.org
Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 PM

Thanks to all my fellow Villagers for all the kind support and suggestions. And my heart goes out to JC and John for their horrible SSA issue. Ours seems minor compared to their nightmare.

But I wanted to give an update: All my whining all over the internet got results! The Regional Director from their home office in Bonita Springs called me last night (yes, Sunday night!) to say a check would be overnighted to her today. And it actually was hand delivered to her today around noon! So take heart fellow internet posters - this does work. Or maybe Seniors vs Crime worked. Or FB, or BBB. IDK, but my mom is happy, and so I'm happy. And for a little chuckle, now they are emailing me to get me to retract. LOL. And sigh, I will.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:15 PM

Sumter Grand is an Awesome and Safe Independent Living Community! Unfortunately human mistakes happen to other humans! I’m sorry to hear someone had to wait longer than a few days for a refund!! I hope they were and are still getting the lifestyle they paid for and deserve. As we know, life is not perfect.. I would still recommend Sumter Grand over any Senior Community in The Villages!
Old 04-16-2018, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglover9409 View Post
Thanks to all my fellow Villagers for all the kind support and suggestions. And my heart goes out to JC and John for their horrible SSA issue. Ours seems minor compared to their nightmare.

But I wanted to give an update: All my whining all over the internet got results! The Regional Director from their home office in Bonita Springs called me last night (yes, Sunday night!) to say a check would be overnighted to her today. And it actually was hand delivered to her today around noon! So take heart fellow internet posters - this does work. Or maybe Seniors vs Crime worked. Or FB, or BBB. IDK, but my mom is happy, and so I'm happy. And for a little chuckle, now they are emailing me to get me to retract. LOL. And sigh, I will.
Beautiful news. Just do the retraction with the same speed they refunded your $$ MONEY $$. Just Saying.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglover9409 View Post

So happy this was resolved and sorry for the stress you endured during this ordeal. Very good news.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Beautiful news. Just do the retraction with the same speed they refunded your $$ MONEY $$. Just Saying.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I am not surprised the check was hand delivered today. People who read on TOTV I am sure shared this story at Sumter Grande which is the right thing to do. Remember, ACHA, Ombudsman, Seniors Against Crime, all those words get attention because no administrator or company wants an investigation or a finding that is public. Not that you should need to go that route, but when calls are not returned and the communication stops, call the regulatory bodies. You will get a result on a Sunday night, as I think I mentioned earlier...
Old 04-17-2018, 05:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
I am not surprised the check was hand delivered today. People who read on TOTV I am sure shared this story at Sumter Grande which is the right thing to do. Remember, ACHA, Ombudsman, Seniors Against Crime, all those words get attention because no administrator or company wants an investigation or a finding that is public. Not that you should need to go that route, but when calls are not returned and the communication stops, call the regulatory bodies. You will get a result on a Sunday night, as I think I mentioned earlier...
I sent an email to the National Director over the weekend to read this forum.

I doubt it had any bearing, but we all need to try to help each other.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:22 AM
Gold member

Good for you Gracie, I am sure that is where the alert came in. Believe me, the competition right now is huge in The Villages for all levels of care and no corporate office wants this thread lingering and negative feedback in front of the public. While every company will tell you care is their number 1 priority, having worked for corporate five star assisted living, I know their secrets. Not that they shouldn't make profit, of course they should. But they should also pay decent wages and benefits (because happy staff make happy caregivers and teams), and increase the food, transportation and entertainment budgets for the residents, and be fair in their levels of care. When that happy marketing person gives you your tour and sells you the greatest care and living experience ever, remember to look beyond the chandelier, which is what I tell everyone, and also remember you are a commission to that person. I know of one 90 year old woman who put a deposit at the new Elan, and yes she signed a contract a few months ago, but her neighbors who help her out tremendously encouraged her to stay in her home with their support. Elan, the new one, would not give her back her $2500 deposit and told her she could use it another time if she wants to move in. I found that incredulous as they are just opening and certainly its not like they could not rent open apartments during that time and would be losing business. It would have been a good will gesture as a new independent living community to refund this woman. If you care about elders, give a break to a 90 year old for heavens sakes and return her money. If they had been full occupancy I would understand as they would have turned someone away, but they are not full. It's shameful. I never refused giving back a deposit when I was an Executive Director, never. Contract or no contract.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Good for you Gracie, I am sure that is where the alert came in. Believe me, the competition right now is huge in The Villages for all levels of care and no corporate office wants this thread lingering and negative feedback in front of the public.

While every company will tell you care is their number 1 priority, having worked for corporate five star assisted living, I know their secrets.

Not that they shouldn't make profit, of course they should. But they should also pay decent wages and benefits (because happy staff make happy caregivers and teams), and increase the food, transportation and entertainment budgets for the residents, and be fair in their levels of care.

When that happy marketing person gives you your tour and sells you the greatest care and living experience ever, remember to look beyond the chandelier, which is what I tell everyone, and also remember you are a commission to that person.

I know of one 90 year old woman who put a deposit at the new Elan, and yes she signed a contract a few months ago, but her neighbors who help her out tremendously encouraged her to stay in her home with their support. Elan, the new one, would not give her back her $2500 deposit and told her she could use it another time if she wants to move in. I found that incredulous as they are just opening and certainly its not like they could not rent open apartments during that time and would be losing business.It would have been a good will gesture as a new independent living community to refund this woman.

If you care about elders, give a break to a 90 year old for heavens sakes and return her money. If they had been full occupancy I would understand as they would have turned someone away, but they are not full. It's shameful.

I never refused giving back a deposit when I was an Executive Director, never. Contract or no contract.
Good points, but very hard to read one long paragraph like that. I keep losing my place! So I broke it up.

Again, very good points. I hope the lady is happier at home, and I'm sure she appreciates the support of her neighbor friends. She certainly is a lucky person to have people who care that much.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:12 AM
Gold member

When I get passionate about a subject, I forget to do my paragraph breaks! Thank you!
Closed Thread

Tags
test, true, grand, return, sumter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.