Verizon vs. ATT (mostly south of 466)

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2017, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Verizon vs. ATT (mostly south of 466)

I have had AT&T for many many years (even before they were called ATT). Moved down here (Amelia) in Jan and their service is virtually non-existent due our home location on a hill off O'Dell. Have all "top of the line newest devices" (Galaxy S8 and iPhone 6s, 7+, & 8+ all with the same issue) so it isn't the phone. I have to walk 2 or 3 blocks up the street to get a signal over 1-2 bars. I have wifi-calling on and that works (sort of) but is still lousy. Still drops calls and audio is crappy. We are on a 80meg Comcrap connection for internet so it isn't that. A microcell won't help because it is identical to and with the same problems as wifi calling. Both are just crappy VOIP connections.

ANYWAY my sister from NJ just came down here this week and she has Verizon and gets "full signal" INSIDE our home and all around it. My question is, how is VERIZON coverage overall here in TV? Are there lots of dead zones? I notice AT&T (except in rare areas) is generally lousy around here. We spend most of our time SOUTH of 466 but of course go North on occasion.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2017, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

We are a Verizon user....16 years.....we have been able to use our phones anywhere in TV.

As an aside we have also experienced Verizon to have the best nation wide coverage. We have been to several locations where Verizon users had the only working phones.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

I have AT&T and my home is in Pinellas. I get a signal but it's only one bar. Mostly one bar in most places in TV. The cell phone company's need to put up more towers all over TV.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:41 PM

I have Verizon and I am in Fenney and I can’t use my cell phone because of poor service. Considering purchasing a cell phone extender. Anyone have any luck with that.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:44 PM

Verizon here also. We are in Penne amp between 466 and 466A. We haven't noticed any issues anywhere from Spanish Springs to Brownwood.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD
Old 10-19-2017, 11:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have an AT&T microcell box and it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I have had AT&T for many many years (even before they were called ATT). Moved down here (Amelia) in Jan and their service is virtually non-existent due our home location on a hill off O'Dell. Have all "top of the line newest devices" (Galaxy S8 and iPhone 6s, 7+, & 8+ all with the same issue) so it isn't the phone. I have to walk 2 or 3 blocks up the street to get a signal over 1-2 bars. I have wifi-calling on and that works (sort of) but is still lousy. Still drops calls and audio is crappy. We are on a 80meg Comcrap connection for internet so it isn't that. A microcell won't help because it is identical to and with the same problems as wifi calling. Both are just crappy VOIP connections.

ANYWAY my sister from NJ just came down here this week and she has Verizon and gets "full signal" INSIDE our home and all around it. My question is, how is VERIZON coverage overall here in TV? Are there lots of dead zones? I notice AT&T (except in rare areas) is generally lousy around here. We spend most of our time SOUTH of 466 but of course go North on occasion.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2017, 12:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Ed, our Verizon service is good all over The Villages except for in Fenney. The week after we moved in our phones started dropping calls intermittently while we were in the house. When I called customer service I asked to go straight to the department where you make a plan with them to cancel. They asked several times what was on my mind and why I was cancelling and I refused to tell them, I was heated. They offered what they called a home tower for improved reception for $250. I declined. They asked that I try the tower free of charge which I did and we had great results. I pay the bill the phone works and the bill isn't all over the place like other companies. Just for a laugh give the Microcell a chance if you can get it for free. I hope it works out for you.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:06 AM
Veteran member

I have Verizon, live south of 466A and have never had an issue with service anywhere
Old 10-20-2017, 06:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Ed, our Verizon service is good all over The Villages except for in Fenney. The week after we moved in our phones started dropping calls intermittently while we were in the house. When I called customer service I asked to go straight to the department where you make a plan with them to cancel. They asked several times what was on my mind and why I was cancelling and I refused to tell them, I was heated. They offered what they called a home tower for improved reception for $250. I declined. They asked that I try the tower free of charge which I did and we had great results. I pay the bill the phone works and the bill isn't all over the place like other companies. Just for a laugh give the Microcell a chance if you can get it for free. I hope it works out for you.

A microcell is the same as WiFi calling. It’s simply a voip connection to the internet through a 2nd physical device. WiFi calling does help a little but doesn’t help the worthless signal all around the area when I leave my house. I want to drop my regular phone line but can’t do that until I have a reliable cell connection. It seems Verizon is much more solid. It unfortunate TV doesn’t permit cell towers which is why they are all on the outskirts of TV.

I guess I will be switching to VZW soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
I have Verizon, live south of 466A and have never had an issue with service anywhere

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I have AT&T and my home is in Pinellas. I get a signal but it's only one bar. Mostly one bar in most places in TV. The cell phone company's need to put up more towers all over TV.

Call and speak with AT&T. They gave me a device that has provided complete coverage at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-20-2017, 11:44 AM

I have ATT, in La Belle North. micro cell works perfectly
Old 10-20-2017, 07:05 PM

I live in Fernandina an had a micro cell for my ATT mobile phone. When my micro cell quit working, I turned on WiFi calling on my I-phone and I have no issues with calls without the micro cell.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:59 AM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

I am in Lake Deaton I had AT&T and needed a micro cell to get any kind of coverage in our house. AT&T gave it to us after several phone calls. Recently we switched to T Mobile because of their new senior plan. We used wifi around the house but often lost one side of the phone call. T Mobile sent us a free micro cell that greatly improved our in house calls. T Mobile and AT&T have similar coverage South of 466a. AT&T wouldn't match T Mobile's senior plan (two lines, unlimited talk text, and data for $60 including all taxes and fees. Also includes Canada and Mexico.)
Old 10-21-2017, 09:38 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have AT&T, live South of 466 and have never had any issue any place in The Villages or in my home. The biggest advantage to AT&T is when you travel outside the US. You will still have coverage almost anywhere. I have traveled all over the world and only had a problem in a remote area of Malaysia. And there global plan is less expensive than others and can be activated when you travel. Last time I did it, it was $60 for a month outside the US. There was a data limit, but I did not even come close to using all of it even though sending pictures back to US.

Tags
verizon, home, crappy, lousy, signal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.