Very few problems with both new homes here and quickly taken care of.

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2018, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Very few problems with both new homes here and quickly taken care of.

Just like another negative title the current one was bugging me. So I started this thread.

Our brand new home in Hadley purchased ten years ago had a very short list of repairs. Some caulking was missing. The stopper to the sink was missing. The pole light wasn't working. The sliders were not sliding easily. There may have been more when we did the initial walk through with the builder at closing. Within minutes.....there was a slew of trucks who arrived and began fixing all of the things on the list.

At one year we DIDN'T have an inspector, but most do and I think it is a very good idea. We submitted the few things we had to warranty and they were fixed, although the slider never slid as easily as my neighbors.

There had been debris in the water lines going into the refrigerator which they came out and fixed during the year and some trouble flushing the toilets, more debris. We didn't find pop cans and plastic in the foundation plantings like we had in new homes up north, but it is sand and not so easy to hide things.

I will come back later and tell you about the house that we now live in that just turned eight years old, because our agent, Jim McLaughlin just sent us a birthday card for our house.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-23-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:06 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,310 Times in 381 Posts

My friend just moved into Desoto...

His sewer pipe backed up three times before they could unclear the blockage. It has construction debris in it.

His cabinets are being replcaed in his kitchen and bathroom. Warranty guy said it was the worst case of poor workmanship he has ever seen.

He has had to have sections of his lawn replaced because some workers had left pallets on his lawn.

He had a stick cemented into his garage floor.

The circuit board in his garage door had to be replaced.

Warranty is covering and fixing everything...as they should. But dont you think the builders should do a bit more quality control before they turn over the homes for sale?
Old 09-23-2018, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Just like another negative title the current one was bugging me. So I started this thread.

Our brand new home in Hadley purchased ten years ago had a very short list of repairs. Some caulking was missing. The stopper to the sink was missing. The pole light wasn't working. The sliders were not sliding easily. There may have been more when we did the initial walk through with the builder at closing. Within minutes.....there was a slew of trucks who arrived and began fixing all of the things on the list.

At one year we DIDN'T have an inspector, but most do and I think it is a very good idea. We submitted the few things we had to warranty and they were fixed, although the slider never slid as easily as my neighbors.

There had been debris in the water lines going into the refrigerator which they came out and fixed during the year and some trouble flushing the toilets, more debris. We didn't find pop cans and plastic in the foundation plantings like we had in new homes up north, but it is sand and not so easy to hide things.

I will come back later and tell you about the house that we now live in that just turned eight years old, because our agent, Jim McLaughlin just sent us a birthday card for our house.
This is getting to be like the mainstream media. Same topic, title aimed to fit an agenda.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 09-23-2018, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
This is getting to be like the mainstream media. Same topic, title aimed to fit an agenda.
You are right. As usual. Thank you for your service in the California wild fires.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Live in a CYV. First home in TV was a CYV(2010) 5 items on punch list , minor, all fixed quite promptly . Now in our 2nd CYV. No punch list items (none). Builder arrived at our door without request on one year anniversary. Asked if we had a punch list that he could help with. Had a nice talk , then we sent him away . Nothing to do . Now into the second home 7+ years. No defects except replacement of the original fridge(warranty) These are our 8th and 9th homes during 57 years together and these two are best for initial satisfaction.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:27 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Perhaps I could add some common sense clearity. I inspect over 600 one year old homes in The Villages, and I have done this for years.

I believe The Villages builds a good home. Compared to some other 55+ communities not far from The Villages, they are MUCH better. And yes, there are a few communities not far that I find less problems during a warranty inspection, but I would not hesitate to buy a home in The Villages. It is a good solid home in an AMAZING place. It is not a custom designed home that took over a year or more to build. It can be a great home to live a great lifestyle you worked years to be able to have.

I also think that The Villages warranty department are very responsive to the point of being amazing. MOST issues are dealt with quickly and without further problems....a few sometimes are not, and yes, at times there are a few contentious issues. Nothing is perfect.

That being said, folks would not pay me the cost of our inspection everyday if everyday I told folks, "I did not find anything, give me my check". We would quickly be out of business. Thankfully for us, that does not happen....actually most of the time folks are surprised at the many things we DO find....some of those things are minor, but every so often they are not.

When you take how complex a new home is, and then you take how quickly they are built, and you factor the number of workers, then factor how MANY homes are being built EVERYDAY, there are bound to be issues we find.

In addition to the normal settling cracks, etc, we have sometimes found defective shingles, A/C systems not working properly, inadequate or missing insulation, an occasional serious safety issue, incorrect dryer vents, Electrical issues, Missing paint, etc. Sometimes the "fit and finish" can need more attention. Sometimes issues, if not found, can cost much more down the road.

Sometimes we find foolish or funny things, like doorknobs installed backwards so you can lock someone IN the bathroom but not lock someone OUT.

In short, we love what we do, no two days are alike, and we stay very busy. There are reasons we stay very busy. The best of people sometimes make mistakes, forget or miss something, install the wrong item, or the right item wrong, etc.

The other day, we found a home that the good owners lived in for 10 months, and wondered why their electric bill was so high. We found NO insulation in the attic. That is RARE, but as I said, things DO happen.

Before your warranty runs out, would you not want someone to walk all over your roof, crawl all over your attic, check all the major systems, etc?......while you can still get anything fixed without paying extra for it? Why would you not pay often WAY less than 1/2 of one percent of what you paid for your home to have someone very qualified to look for these items and even turn them into your warranty department for you before your warranty expires? Is it not one of the biggest purchases in your life?

Anyway, I am sorry if this sounds like an ad. I did not intend it to. We love what we do and are passionate about it. I only wanted to add some clarity.

Respectfully, Frank
Old 09-23-2018, 08:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Frank, well stated, from a very happy customer, we were one of the ones with a minor insulation problem, that i would have never found until way too late. I agree with everything he states, our house was built in 80 days, and as far as I am concerned, built very well. It is 5 years old, and outside of having the outside paint being redone in the next year or so we are quite happy.

Tags
things, house, missing, list, homes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.