A very unsettling experience with Community Watch

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Founder
Default A very unsettling experience with Community Watch

Last week, I was riding my motorcycle and wearing a brand new jacket, so I didn't have my gate card with me. I was forced to go to the "Visitors" gate at Chatham to enter.

When I arrived at the gate, there was a "community watch" car sitting in the traffic lane and the driver was talking to two people in the "guard" house. I stopped behind the car and waited. And waited. And waited some more.

I could see that the gate guard was getting a little nervous about me being held up such a long time. None the less, the community watch driver kept talking and laughing and gesturing with his hands while telling his stories.

I finally decided that he must not be aware that I was behind him waiting, so I "blipped" my horn. (Not a blast, not a honk, not a blare, just a blip")

Well, the community watch driver looked up in his rear view mirror, shoved his gear shift into park, and got out of the car. He strutted back to me with fire in his eyes. He bellied up to my face and demanded "DO YOU HAVE SOME KIND OF PROBLEM?"

At this point, I could see that I had to maintain my composure or this guy was going to fly into a rage. I calmly said, "If you're going to talk, please pull off to the side so you don't block traffic."

His reply was ".......I'm on business, I can sit here." (I clearly saw him talking and laughing with the usual arm and hand gestures of a funny story being told) I forget his exact wording, but he indicated that I shouldn't be using this gate, that I should be using my card at the 'residents' gate. (how could he know I wasn't a guest).

I could see that he was on the edge and I wasn't about to exacerbate the situation. I also observed over his shoulder that the people in the guard house were very nervous and shocked at his behavior. I said, "please move so I can go in."

His reply was "......if you got a problem with me, that's my boss right there (as he pointed to the guy in the guard house." He said a few more things then got in his car and drove away.

Neither of the people at the guard house offered any comments about the episode. During his rampage, they did, a couple of times try to encourage me to back up and go over to the residents gate. I guess to get away from the guy. It's not so easy to do on a motorcycle.

I don't mind telling you that I was really frightened by this guy. My hands were trembling when it was over.

So, when I got home, I called the office in charge of Community Watch and told my story. They said they would investigate.

About four hours later, I got a call from one of the top managers who told me that security cameras at the gate recorded the guy getting out of his car and coming back to confront me. He apologized all over the place and assured me that the proper disciplinary action would be taken. He said that this was certainly not the behavior that they allow from their employees. I am satisfied with that. I do hope that this guy doesn't blow up at somebody else. Things could turn out differently. If he had been a police officer, he could have been charged with "official oppression."

This was purely a case of "road rage" on the part of the community watch guy. What if I had been a visitor, a guest or a home buyer?

It has been my observation that, for the most part, community watch does, whatever it is that they do, without much fanfare. This particular guy sure changed things that day.

I wonder if Mr. Morse was told about it.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Glad you got the response you did from the manager from Community Watch.
I doubt if Mr Moorse gets involved with these kind of details of happenings every day.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I doubt if Mr Moorse gets involved with these kind of details of happenings every day.
Ya, you're probably right, but my emotions want me to think that he was told. I know he wasn't and shouldn't have been, I guess.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Why didn't you ask him to have his boss come out of the guard house to talk to you. If you suspected that it wasn't his boss in there (which it obviously wasn't) I would have asked him to have a sherriff's car dispatched to the scene....GN
Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Why didn't you ask him to have his boss come out of the guard house to talk to you. If you suspected that it wasn't his boss in there (which it obviously wasn't) I would have asked him to have a sherriff's car dispatched to the scene....GN

After a thing like this, you think of all kinds of stuff you should have said and done. At the time, shock doesn't allow for clear thinking lots of times. I was using all of my energy to keep calm and defuse the situation.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:44 AM

I think you did the right thing by keeping your head and defusing the incident. I am glad....that you did call the management. Hopefully, this guy will be written up for this serious infraction.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:46 AM

I believe you reacted and behaved admirably.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 AM

I would not let it go there. I would want to know what action was taken. Did you see his name tag? I'm afraid had it been me it would not have ended so peaceful. I admire your patience.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Send a message via AIM to jim1941

I'll bet your hassle didn't appear in the Daily Sun.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Default I hope he was fired!!

[B]Well, the community watch driver looked up in his rear view mirror, shoved his gear shift into park, and got out of the car. He strutted back to me with fire in his eyes. He bellied up to my face and demanded "DO YOU HAVE SOME KIND OF PROBLEM?"

YOU GOT MORE PATIENCE THAN ME!! I WOULDA GONE TO JAIL!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1941 View Post
I'll bet your hassle didn't appear in the Daily Sun.
Why should it?
Old 05-18-2009, 11:54 AM

Forget disciplinary action. I think a personality like that shouldn't be on Community Watch. Police departments try to screen that type of individual from their forces during pre-employment testing. While the Community Watch is not the police, similar guidelines would be appropriate.

Last edited by Don H; 05-18-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Ya, you're probably right, but my emotions want me to think that he was told. I know he wasn't and shouldn't have been, I guess.
A letter to Mr Morse might be a good idea. Even if he never sees it, someone's boss's, boss's, boss's boss will and potentially cause some drastic action for that idiot. If he's small minded enough to be on a power trip as a result of riding in a Community Watch car, well, he shouldn't be. Get his butt fired. I for one don't want anything but the helpful people I've met on Community Watch.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaTn View Post
[B]Well, the community watch driver looked up in his rear view mirror, shoved his gear shift into park, and got out of the car. He strutted back to me with fire in his eyes. He bellied up to my face and demanded "DO YOU HAVE SOME KIND OF PROBLEM?"

YOU GOT MORE PATIENCE THAN ME!! I WOULDA GONE TO JAIL!!!

Me Dos!

Nobody messes with Chi Town South Siders like that - especially if they were from the Chatham area of Chicago at the Chatham gate of TV.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-18-2009, 01:37 PM

You showed remarkable restraint. I would hope that in the same situation I'd react the same as you, but ????

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.