A very unsettling experience with Community Watch

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Thumbs up

You did very well TH and sorry to hear that you were unnerved - totally unnecessary. Two wrongs don't make a right, you took the high road and kudos to you - too many hot heads around. Making a scene would have elevated a ridiculous situation. I hope the appropriate action was taken to bring him down to earth so this doesn't happen again.

An itsy bitsy bit of authority seems to boost the ego of some.

You done good.

Visited The Villages in Oct., '09
Working on making it permanent.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:28 AM
Send a message via ICQ to tankdvr1950

you certainly have more patience than i would TH...but you probably handled it the right way
Old 05-19-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Last week, I was riding my motorcycle and wearing a brand new jacket, so I didn't have my gate card with me. I was forced to go to the "Visitors" gate at Chatham to enter.

When I arrived at the gate, there was a "community watch" car sitting in the traffic lane and the driver was talking to two people in the "guard" house. I stopped behind the car and waited. And waited. And waited some more.

I could see that the gate guard was getting a little nervous about me being held up such a long time. None the less, the community watch driver kept talking and laughing and gesturing with his hands while telling his stories.

I finally decided that he must not be aware that I was behind him waiting, so I "blipped" my horn. (Not a blast, not a honk, not a blare, just a blip")

Well, the community watch driver looked up in his rear view mirror, shoved his gear shift into park, and got out of the car. He strutted back to me with fire in his eyes. He bellied up to my face and demanded "DO YOU HAVE SOME KIND OF PROBLEM?"

At this point, I could see that I had to maintain my composure or this guy was going to fly into a rage. I calmly said, "If you're going to talk, please pull off to the side so you don't block traffic."

His reply was ".......I'm on business, I can sit here." (I clearly saw him talking and laughing with the usual arm and hand gestures of a funny story being told) I forget his exact wording, but he indicated that I shouldn't be using this gate, that I should be using my card at the 'residents' gate. (how could he know I wasn't a guest).

I could see that he was on the edge and I wasn't about to exacerbate the situation. I also observed over his shoulder that the people in the guard house were very nervous and shocked at his behavior. I said, "please move so I can go in."

His reply was "......if you got a problem with me, that's my boss right there (as he pointed to the guy in the guard house." He said a few more things then got in his car and drove away.

Neither of the people at the guard house offered any comments about the episode. During his rampage, they did, a couple of times try to encourage me to back up and go over to the residents gate. I guess to get away from the guy. It's not so easy to do on a motorcycle.

I don't mind telling you that I was really frightened by this guy. My hands were trembling when it was over.

So, when I got home, I called the office in charge of Community Watch and told my story. They said they would investigate.

About four hours later, I got a call from one of the top managers who told me that security cameras at the gate recorded the guy getting out of his car and coming back to confront me. He apologized all over the place and assured me that the proper disciplinary action would be taken. He said that this was certainly not the behavior that they allow from their employees. I am satisfied with that. I do hope that this guy doesn't blow up at somebody else. Things could turn out differently. If he had been a police officer, he could have been charged with "official oppression."

This was purely a case of "road rage" on the part of the community watch guy. What if I had been a visitor, a guest or a home buyer?

It has been my observation that, for the most part, community watch does, whatever it is that they do, without much fanfare. This particular guy sure changed things that day.

I wonder if Mr. Morse was told about it.

Great for you! Don't need people like that "helping" protect the neighborhood. Just think if he was a cop with a gun and that attitude... He should be taken off the job.

aj
Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Eternal Member

TH,
You done good! When someone like this is on a power trip, arguing only feeds the flames, and most reasonable comments are interpreted by them as arguing. Polite reaction on your part reinforced your positive impression on the witnesses (other community watch employees) and made the jerk look even more the jerk. When (and I hope not If) the supervisors looked into the events in further detail, you were more likely to get a good reaction from the guys at the gate and less likely to get CYA and sticking up for a buddy.

Again, you handle the event and the aftermath well. Maybe email a copy of your post to Janet Tutt?

`
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 05-22-2009, 02:02 AM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle View Post
TH,
You done good! When someone like this is on a power trip, arguing only feeds the flames, and most reasonable comments are interpreted by them as arguing. Polite reaction on your part reinforced your positive impression on the witnesses (other community watch employees) and made the jerk look even more the jerk. When (and I hope not If) the supervisors looked into the events in further detail, you were more likely to get a good reaction from the guys at the gate and less likely to get CYA and sticking up for a buddy.

Again, you handle the event and the aftermath well. Maybe email a copy of your post to Janet Tutt?

`
Finally, a sensible response other than whining to Mr. Morse. He is the developer and should not be involved. Community Watch is governed by the CDD and is the employer of it's personnel.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:59 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl8412 View Post
Finally, a sensible response other than whining to Mr. Morse. He is the developer and should not be involved. Community Watch is governed by the CDD and is the employer of it's personnel.
Interesting response, but I can't say I agree.
In my cynical view of the world, enven though Mr Morse's signature may not appear on the offender's paycheck, while this community is still building he is the power here. It is in his best interest (and the community's) that this power-abusive idiot NOT be permitted to work here. Imagine the impact of this fool on a prospective buyer, and then that person's influence via word of mouth once he's back home. And I think making Mr Morse aware of this situation and prodding him to react will result in more complete and decisive action than making his "employer" aware of the situation.
So I don't think it's whining at all, but rather cutting to the chase and getting the appropriate folks who have both a serious vested interest and the power to make it different. My 2 cents.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl8412 View Post
I wouldn't consider reporting a problem is whining whether it is to the VCDD or the top guy.
Having said that, I expect those in charge are already aware of it. I'll bet they keep tabs on this site. What better way to keep track of trends than reading what is being posted here.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Platinum member

Why wouldn't you call Chief Michael Tucker....he is the head of the Community Watch!

Suzy Toronto
Old 05-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Gold member

For my two cents if someone wanted to pursue a compliant against an individual in Community Watch my suggestion would be to start with the department head and if not satisfied then keep going up the ladder so to speak. Probably will get better results that way then going right to the top.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
For my two cents if someone wanted to pursue a compliant against an individual in Community Watch my suggestion would be to start with the department head and if not satisfied then keep going up the ladder so to speak. Probably will get better results that way then going right to the top.
If you read the original post you will see that is what Talkhost did. Following is from his post:

"So, when I got home, I called the office in charge of Community Watch and told my story. They said they would investigate.

About four hours later, I got a call from one of the top managers who told me that security cameras at the gate recorded the guy getting out of his car and coming back to confront me. He apologized all over the place and assured me that the proper disciplinary action would be taken. He said that this was certainly not the behavior that they allow from their employees. I am satisfied with that. I do hope that this guy doesn't blow up at somebody else. Things could turn out differently. If he had been a police officer, he could have been charged with "official oppression."

Based on that, it seems he got results. My guess is the offender got the can sometime during that four hour lapse.

BTW, security cameras scored a point!
Old 05-23-2009, 02:02 AM
Wink

I used the term "whining" because IMHO I believe that taking a complaint to someone who may have political or affluent influence outside the responsible department(s) is many times for convenience and can make issues more tangled than they should be. CDD is the Villages legal government entity when it purchases property from the developer, so he should cut his ties there. All of us spend monies in taxes and fees for CDD government employees and services so they should be allowed to govern without outside influence. If they can't then we are throwing our money into a bottomless pit. Let the chain-of-command structure work as it should.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:24 AM

Does anyone agree with me that this matter is becoming blown out of proportion? It's not as if this man was a concentration camp guard, and deserves banishment forever or the electric chair. Yes, he screwed up and it sounds to me as if the original victim did all the right things to report the matter and have action taken. Let Community Watch take care of this bully and move on, at least that's my thought.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:44 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebemary View Post
Does anyone agree with me that this matter is becoming blown out of proportion? It's not as if this man was a concentration camp guard, and deserves banishment forever or the electric chair. Yes, he screwed up and it sounds to me as if the original victim did all the right things to report the matter and have action taken. Let Community Watch take care of this bully and move on, at least that's my thought.
NO, I don't think it's being blown out of proportion. This is our community. We live here. We need to stay in charge. I think people need to discuss this stuff. If it was a city and a policeman acted that way, it would be big news.

Which brings up a good question, "is this our community?' Are we in charge, or are we living here at the pleasure of those in charge?
Old 05-23-2009, 07:41 AM

Which brings up a good question, "is this our community?' Are we in charge, or are we living here at the pleasure of those in charge?

Very well put. I agree with you. It could have been a "lot" worse and I commend you for following up with the complaint!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaTn View Post

Very well put. I agree with you. It could have been a "lot" worse and I commend you for following up with the complaint!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.