How would you handle this situation?

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Founder
Default How would you handle this situation?

I was playing golf with three guys the other day. I was a passenger in the cart of one player. Storms began to build around us with thunder and lightening. We could see columns of rain near-by. I said I wanted to come in, but no one else was interested in stopping. Other players were heading for the club house. I repeated that I wanted to stop, but to no avail. We were way to far out for me to walk. I was stuck. By the time the decision to come in was made, it was pouring rain. Even in retrospect, I don't know how to handle this situation in the future.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Sage
Default Re: How would you handle this situation?

Jan - You have the ABSOLUTE right to request that you go back to the club house (or car for that matter) if you feel threatened by storms. Hundreds of people die every year when struck by lightning. It's not wimpy, it's SMART.

I have no issues telling someone to take me in!

Always better safe than sorry.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Platinum member

I'd have demanded to go back. Ignorance of a lightning strike only happens once, if you're lucky. Gee isn't Florida the #1 lightning capital of the world? I could tell some terrifying stories about bass tournaments. Another post.

Steve
Old 09-01-2007, 03:01 PM

Are these guys friends of yours?? If so, I would definitely try to find some NEW ones > because a friend would not have put you in danger of dying from a stroke of lightening! They are :edit: Glad your alive, Darlene
Old 09-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Sage

I live right on Lake Sumter. I've seen lightning hit the lake and golfers on Palmer keep right on golfing. That's crazy.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Sage

The only way not to get hooked is to NEVER try it.

I play 4 times a week and practice on 2 others. HELP me!

Of course I'm not in TV yet so i have to jam the season into 5 months up here.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:06 PM

I've lived in Florida for 17 years (moved to the Villages from Ft. Myers) and have witnessed a man being hit by lightening when it appeared the storm wasn't even close - we could hear thunder and see lightening in the far distance. My friends all know that I live by the rule of lightening in Florida - "If you hear it, you should fear it!" I take cover when I hear that first bit of thunder - no ifs, ands or buts!! I don't golf (bad back) but I sure would let everyone I was with before we started out my rule!! Don't like my rule - don't go out with me!
Old 09-01-2007, 10:22 PM

Hmmm. Three selfish, very risky people. I hope you were a single and didn't know them. If I had been in that situation and with my cell phone, I would have called the starter shack and had an ambassador come and get me. Or, if there had been a house in the area, I would have knocked on the door to cal the shack, if I didn't have my cell phone. Chances are the people in the house would take you up to the club house. We are like that here.

Oh..and I would never....ever...ever..not ever...golf with those people again. If a single..and their names came up on my tee time, I would ask for another..or tell the proshop that you were taking your own cart no matter what.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Veteran member

My hubby has one hard fast rule, if he hears thunder golf is over for the time being or the day. He will head for the club house and that's that. I would follow the advice that says use the cell and call for an Ambassador or walk to the nearest house. Those fellows were demented to remain on the course. I once met Lee Trevino and his story of being hit by lightening was horrible. Why anyone who lives here in the Villages where you can golf pretty much every day would remain on the course in a storm behooves me!

Make new buddies if these are "friends" and if you just ended up with this foursome, remember their names and decline to play in their foursome again.

I am surprised that the Ambassadors didn't come out to get people off the course!!!!! : ???
Old 09-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Veteran member

I found this on the CDD site. I think it's time to change the rules.

Lightning Safety

Caution is recommended when playing golf in the summer at a time when lightning storms are prevalent. Even when seen from a distance, lightning can be a concern and golfers should not risk injury by staying on the course. Staff on the Executive Golf Trail will not prohibit play. However, staff will make recommendations if they have seen a storm approaching. Protection from lightning is the responsibility of each golfer and no measures are taken to prohibit starting of play or using the course when lightning is present.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshunluva
I don't understand how a simple game could be loved so much that people would risk their lives to play it. What is the draw, can someone please tell me before we get to TV so I can be prepared to not be taken in by this game.
Male/Female Camaraderie is the draw in most cases. However if a person ignores my request to be returned to clubhouse for whatever the issue he/she will never play with me again. If I have other avenues such as some mentioned here with the Ambassador I would look there. If I could not make a connection that person would drive me back or they would find their cart sitting at the club.

Life is precious and nobody but myself has my permission to make stupid decisions for me.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.