Veterans OPC

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Gold member
Default Veterans OPC

An hour before my scheduled appointment, with the Veterans OPC, I received a call with yet another cancellation because the doctor "called in sick". This is the third cancellation. Impossible to call them back because the phone rings off the hook with no one answering even when I have the direct extension. When you finally get someone they promice to have someone call and no one ever does. My contact is a woman named Katie. I might as well be calling the Pope.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:23 AM
Gold member

I use the VA OPC extensively and have on occasion had my appointments resceduled but never cancelled. This time of year people are more likely to get sick. I have the same problem with telephone access to staff so I use MyHealthyVet Secure Messaging to communicate with VA Staff and always get a response in a timely manner.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:41 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I use the VA OPC extensively and have on occasion had my appointments resceduled but never cancelled. This time of year people are more likely to get sick. I have the same problem with telephone access to staff so I use MyHealthyVet Secure Messaging to communicate with VA Staff and always get a response in a timely manner.
How do they reschedule without cancelling the original appointments?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:51 AM

I too do all my VA communications via MyHealthyVet Secure Messaging. It has a maximum 72 hour response time and becomes part of your Blue Button permanent record taking away the "he said-she said". Although you still need to call for appointments, after a couple of tries, I send a secure message stating the date/time I couldn't get through and ask that the appointment desk call me. I've had return calls occasionally within the hour.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post
I too do all my VA communications via MyHealthyVet Secure Messaging. It has a maximum 72 hour response time and becomes part of your Blue Button permanent record taking away the "he said-she said". Although you still need to call for appointments, after a couple of tries, I send a secure message stating the date/time I couldn't get through and ask that the appointment desk call me. I've had return calls occasionally within the hour.

Hope that helps.
Glad you had a satisfactory experience. Three appointments should not be cancelled and to get another one I had to accept a different doctor. Now I no idea whether the next one will be honored regardless of the way I communicate. They clearly have some issues.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:10 PM

I wrote to President Trump about The Villages clinic. We veterans should get far better care. And what is up with all the 'volunteers' in red who stand in the lobby and questions everyone. When I did the intro, the person in the red shirt said though he was a veteran he didn't qualify to get care there. They need to calm down, maybe give everyone a bottle of water, cookies and hug. Veterans are people to and we only go there for help.

And the VA cafe is a rip off. Sorry. You can go across the street to Subway and get better food for less price. And the coffee is self serve? So, sick people serve themselves coffee, and then someone else comes behind them.

The blood work is hit (mostly) and miss. There is a beautiful lady who sits in the 3 1/2 booth who is perfect, no pain, perfect. Thumbs up to her. Others have vampired me and marks for weeks.

Quick, and you can PM me, name one American born Primary care doctor who accepts patients. Also, who cares about the overload of snowbirds as it isn't a surprise? Staff better. And telling everyone its just a doctor's office or go to gainesville is passing the buck IMHO.

And vJack... who cares if the doctor is sick, then the others should take the weight. I have a friend who is a private practice doctor and if he is sick then it is a major problem and he probably has been too sick to work 5 times in 40 years. He has a back injury now and still goes to work to help others because his patients come first. Okay, someone may be too sick, but the VA has very lax sick leave policies. I hope you are okay.

Snowbirds, keep going to VA, make them get staff, not complain about work. How often do you see workers sitting in front of the VA at these tables. If it was so crazy then they wouldn't have the time (if they took pride in there job).

Come at me haters but be sure you know the facts
Old 02-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I wrote to President Trump about The Villages clinic. We veterans should get far better care. .... Also, who cares about the overload of snowbirds as it isn't a surprise? Staff better. And telling everyone its just a doctor's office or go to gainesville is passing the buck IMHO.

Snowbirds, keep going to VA, make them get staff, not complain about work. How often do you see workers sitting in front of the VA at these tables. If it was so crazy then they wouldn't have the time (if they took pride in there job).

Come at me haters but be sure you know the facts
The VA is prohibited by executive action from any hiring or even from replacing retiring or fired employees.

Quote:
The White House press secretary, Sean Spicer, said at a news conference after the signing of the executive order that the department was not exempt, adding “the V.A. in particular, if you look at the problems that have plagued people, hiring more people isn’t the answer.”
So your answer of "make them get staff" is not possible under the current rules. The VA was advertising to hire thousands of new people including hundreds of doctors and nurses, but that is no longer allowed. The acting head of the VA who is a holdover from the previous administration is hoping to be able to ignore the ordered freeze and hire anyway under a public safety exemption. I would suggest all interested persons write their congressmen asking for a legislative response or a VA exemption to the hiring freeze.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:22 AM
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24
Smile

Apparently I must be the only "Vet!" that has had no problem(s) with The Villages VA OPC! I get timely care scheduled by my PC and other Clinics and all are done with Care and Concern! I am a totally disabled Viet Nam Vet and have been seeing personnel at The Villages since it's opening! All with great treatment and results! Sometimes unforseen situations happen and nothing is written in stone! I have found "attitude!" goes a long way both in life and with those we come in contact with on a day to day basis! We get sick on occasion or a lot! Is it unrealistic to think others don't? Sure, we are entitled to care by the VA but if you're not happy or satisfied, go somewhere else! You're entitled to that as well! Welcome Home Brothers & Sisters!
Old 02-10-2017, 11:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickedamouse24 View Post
Apparently I must be the only "Vet!" that has had no problem(s) with The Villages VA OPC! I get timely care scheduled by my PC and other Clinics and all are done with Care and Concern! I am a totally disabled Viet Nam Vet and have been seeing personnel at The Villages since it's opening! All with great treatment and results! Sometimes unforseen situations happen and nothing is written in stone! I have found "attitude!" goes a long way both in life and with those we come in contact with on a day to day basis! We get sick on occasion or a lot! Is it unrealistic to think others don't? Sure, we are entitled to care by the VA but if you're not happy or satisfied, go somewhere else! You're entitled to that as well! Welcome Home Brothers & Sisters!
Thank you for your service and I am happy to know that you are being treated properly at the Villages OPC. I do not however agree that it is your place to tell other Veterans who have had difficulties scheduling appointments or otherwise to go somewhere else if they don't like it. Suggesting that these Veterans have attitudinal problems is disrespectful and you should apologize. My appointments have been canceled on three separate occasions and now I have to see a doctor I have never seen before. This veterans clinic clearly has some issues and the only way they will be addressed is if Veterans point them out. God bless you and all our Veterans. They deserve better.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24
Thumbs up

Thank You as well for your service! I surely see no reason for apologizing to anyone because of my personal opinions and won't! I, on occasion have seen the "attitude!' issue rise while at this facility and it happens more than most of us know! As far as telling Veterans to seek help at other facilities is only a suggestion and/or option they have! If you are not happy with the service you get whether it be Dr's, restaurants, retail facilities, do you continue to use their services? I surely think not! Just realize, sometimes things happen and will work out eventually! Seeing a new Dr might surprise you and you may find you like the new opinion! I do understand your frustration but am sure it is a temporary situation and will correct itself! We all must realize the VA system is huge and there is no way that bumps in the road will not occur! Thank You to All Veterans for Your Service!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:45 PM

Blue (nice font work though, makes your points stick out). However...

https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/...-1-27-2017.pdf

sorry, they can staff the VA.

As to old timers at the VA, I agree, you may have got a great doctor and I have been told there are great doctors that would fit me, HOWEVER, they are booked up and not accepting new patients. You got lucky.

And no, I shouldn't have to go somewhere else as because of my injuries the VA is responsible to take care of my health. Also, the Choice program (HealthNet) doesn't work and needs to be fixed. Only certain doctors will accept it, you must be referred, and HealthNet isn't the quickest to pay so providers will come after the veteran.

VA call center to address Choice Program billing issues -- FederalSoup.com

As to people having off days... remember they have a job to do, and when I worked, even on an 'off day' and I REALLY had them, however I always put the customer (the patient) first; always. The buck stopped with me.

PS: I'm 100% SC T&P also (and proud member of the VFW, DAV and soon (I have to pay the dues) to the American Legion. The above is what I know, and this I would consider myself an expert on. PM me if you want to know why I think this.

ADDED IN EDIT: I also wanted to point out if a veteran acts up at the VA clinic, could it be that is the reason they are there as it is part of their disability. Can't judge the sick just because their sickness isn't the same as others. But for workers, I have seen many great VA workers, and some who are just rude all the time, or hard on veterans who they are getting a paycheck to help. So, it should be reversed, if the VA worker cannot treat the veteran with kindness and respect, maybe they need another job. No one is making them stay. Vets need the VA, the workers don't.

Last edited by TheDude; 02-10-2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typos, and I make many (sorry, read through them, please)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Platinum member

I stopped working at the VA in 2013. Just so you know, there was a hiring freeze then though we could still hire. But it would often take over 6 months before we could bring that person on. Also, they will fill clinical positions first. There is less and less staff to do the day to day stuff--scheduling, phones, etc. Also, a tremendous number of veterans came into the system over the last years. I had people coming in who lost their health insurance in retirement because their former companies cut it off. Unemployment sent more to the VA so they could get health insurance. And the fact that we've had wars since 2003 created more patients every day.
Although you are absolutely correct that we are paid to serve the veterans, it could be difficult at times when people yell at you when you are just following the rules. Some people never had problems with the system, but there seems to be some that only find problems with it. By far the nicest patients were the POWs...who as one of my coworkers once said, "they know the difference between a hardship and an inconvenience." Then the last few years when Federal employees have been made to feel like lazy parasitic government employees (despite many of us working for far less than in the private sector), and it became even harder most of us worked hard and did our best. But less and less staff and an increased work load made it more difficult. It's why I left when I did, and why I no longer have to take blood pressure medications.
I still think fondly of veterans I met in my career and don't regret it at all. It was an honor to serve but I'm glad I'm no longer there.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickedamouse24 View Post
Thank You as well for your service! I surely see no reason for apologizing to anyone because of my personal opinions and won't! I, on occasion have seen the "attitude!' issue rise while at this facility and it happens more than most of us know! As far as telling Veterans to seek help at other facilities is only a suggestion and/or option they have! If you are not happy with the service you get whether it be Dr's, restaurants, retail facilities, do you continue to use their services? I surely think not! Just realize, sometimes things happen and will work out eventually! Seeing a new Dr might surprise you and you may find you like the new opinion! I do understand your frustration but am sure it is a temporary situation and will correct itself! We all must realize the VA system is huge and there is no way that bumps in the road will not occur! Thank You to All Veterans for Your Service!
I think we agree but we should not criticize others for having their opinion on the Veterans OPC. It is only by honest dialogue that thing will improve. We Have no idea how some veterans service may have affected them. As such, suggesting that they go somewhere else may be the worst thing to do since they will be better understood in a facility dedicated to veterans,
Old 02-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Blue (nice font work though, makes your points stick out). However...

https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/...-1-27-2017.pdf

sorry, they can staff the VA.

As to old timers at the VA, I agree, you may have got a great doctor and I have been told there are great doctors that would fit me, HOWEVER, they are booked up and not accepting new patients. You got lucky.

And no, I shouldn't have to go somewhere else as because of my injuries the VA is responsible to take care of my health. Also, the Choice program (HealthNet) doesn't work and needs to be fixed. Only certain doctors will accept it, you must be referred, and HealthNet isn't the quickest to pay so providers will come after the veteran.

VA call center to address Choice Program billing issues -- FederalSoup.com

As to people having off days... remember they have a job to do, and when I worked, even on an 'off day' and I REALLY had them, however I always put the customer (the patient) first; always. The buck stopped with me.

PS: I'm 100% SC T&P also (and proud member of the VFW, DAV and soon (I have to pay the dues) to the American Legion. The above is what I know, and this I would consider myself an expert on. PM me if you want to know why I think this.

ADDED IN EDIT: I also wanted to point out if a veteran acts up at the VA clinic, could it be that is the reason they are there as it is part of their disability. Can't judge the sick just because their sickness isn't the same as others. But for workers, I have seen many great VA workers, and some who are just rude all the time, or hard on veterans who they are getting a paycheck to help. So, it should be reversed, if the VA worker cannot treat the veteran with kindness and respect, maybe they need another job. No one is making them stay. Vets need the VA, the workers don't.

Thank you for your honest critique and your service. No veteran should be criticized for their opinion because no one knows what they have been through in their Service to our Country. Vets gave up a lot and should not be chastised or told to go elsewhere when 'elsewhere" could be the absolute worse place for them to go. They deserve our respect.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

I was informed the wait list is now at over 900, I would be better served by driving to Gainesville. Good thing I have a gas golf cart
Closed Thread

Tags
call, veterans, cancellation, opc, direct

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.