View with sunset but without sun

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2012, 03:41 PM

Face the house north or south. You can see the sunrise in the morning from one end and the sunset at night from the other end.

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA
Old 07-26-2012, 05:53 PM

East to East Southeast Lanai Exposure

In summer much cooler in the evening. In winter morning sun warms the lanai/sun-room.

Also watch out for fading of furniture/carpets with the west exposure.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We were two or three houses into our TV house hunt when I downloaded a compass app on my phone to make sure we would get an east-facing lanai. Even in our MI condo it is too hot to enjoy a west-facing deck in the afternoon. Ours faces east; the condos with the west-facing decks all have their shades drawn in the afternoon. It doesn't take too much direct sun, even in the north, to heat it up and make it unbearable.

I like enjoying the morning sun on our TV lanai, then sitting on the little front porch facing west as the sun sets. My husband even put a remote control apparatus in the lamp so we can turn the light off out front when we sit out. Oops, don't tell anybody!
Old 07-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

We face South directly from our birdcage ;ooking out and we have the view of the South and the West to the right facing toward the direction of Sunset Park. I hope we do not fry but I am happy to be able to see some sunset.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Veteran member

We have a CYV with a north facing lanai and I really enjoy the shade that it provides. You can enjoy the warm summer without being blasted by the hot sun. My wife and I spend as much time on our lanai as we can, eating our meals, reading, etc.

That's just my 2 cents that I am throwing into the pot.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Veteran member
Default Facing NNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
If it faces north no sun, south most sun all day, east sun in morning shade afternoon, west sun in afternoon when it's the strongest.

But north in the winter will be very cool in lanai?????

Shop with a compass!

Solar orientation is overlooked all the time.

If you just want a general guide a south east direction is pretty good.

Compass heading about 130.

U also can see north on any site map for reference.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Sage

We have the lanaii facing north. Lovely morning with sun coming up and coffee in hand looking out at the golf course and afternoon sun setting with a bit stronger libation. The pool has been a godsend in this heat but with Jimbo's warning of the winter chill on the lanaii - pool, I guess we will be cranking up the darn heat. Didn't really think about how cold it would actually get. We did not want an east exposure because the garage on the west is a cooker when that sun hits it in the afternoon. We know that because we rented a house with that exposure. And we are using the attic which would be even higher temps. I still have the feeling the Christmas decorations will explode in the heat up there. I guess you can't have it all so decide what is the most important to you. No matter what you pick or what picks you, you will find ways to maximize the good and minimize the not so good.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.