Villa advice needed

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2019, 06:45 AM

As I read what you are looking for in a CYV. I would suggest you look for a corner lot with the lanai facing the east or north east. We had a corner lot with our CYV when we first moved here. More room and more privacy. And more room for our small dog. Just a thought.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:59 AM

We live in a villa neighborhood in DeSoto and majority of neighborhood is full time. Very secure feeling here with great neighbors.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:12 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittycat522 View Post
Thank you all for your feedback I appreciate your time and info. Think I will stick with plan to get 3 BR CV near LSL as even though neighborhoods not full year round safety does not seem to be a problem. Now I just have to hope one comes on the market I have seen very few listings in this area for a three bedroom.
Back when we were looking we wanted a 3 bedroom block built with a 2 car garage on a corner lot near LSL. When we finally saw one listed we put an offer on it sight unseen and never regretted it.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:18 AM

Wizard of Oz you mentioned a corner lot. I have not considered corner lots as I figured there be more yard maintenance in the bigger lot. Did you have grass or stone in the front and what did you have in the back grass, stone or concrete patio? If you had a lawn service do you mind sharing the cost monthly? I Am okay with stone in the front but love being outside so I don’t think a stone backyard will really work as you can’t really walk on it or anything. I would think concrete extended patio would be the least amount of maintenance and able to walk and be on it but I think that’s quite expensive to put in . Any thoughts on types of yard and cost of villa yard would be appreciated
Old 02-18-2019, 07:27 AM

I am a Realtor and also manage 100+ properties as rentals and SnowBirds and there is no relate to type of house and Occupancy. I do find that the Newer sections have more SnowBirds, I guess do to being a New purchase and not ready to be FT here.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:46 AM

We just moved into DeSoto. My recommendation would be to get a good realtor and developer sales agent. They can do the legwork and may have ideas you have not thought about. We decided to go south because of the cost compared to the places around LSL. If connectivity happens as planned then in a few years values should go up significantly. At least I hope. You will want a golf cart so a one car garage won’t work. Best of luck from a new resident.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:45 AM

Stayed in a courtyard villa during our 2007 lifestyle preview and loved it...but we later realized you never see your neighbors, even if all the homes are occupied! We ended up buying in 2012 in the historic section and we see our neighbors often. Most of them are FT and we absolutely love it here!
Old 02-18-2019, 09:05 AM

Marrieds are unfriendly to village singles no matter the neighborhoods. This is not true of all married people but is true of the majority. I attended neighborhood socials for a while but when I asked if I could sit at a table with couples I was often told "these are saved"....went from table to table at least six times. CVs are great, I think, because of the privacy (walls) and the lack of maintaining a grass lawn, though you can still go outdoors. You will have singles in your neighborhood, of course, and they may be folks with things in common with you (or they may not, in which case, most of your friends will probably be made in places such as special interest clubs). The "singles scene" in TV is often - not always- about finding a sex partner. There is also a "happy hour scene" in which groups of friends (most often either same sex or else groups of married couples) go to the dozens if not over one hundred happy hours in various bars around town. If a sex partner and happy hours are your main interests, you will have no problems. If not, it will take effort but you will find folks like yourself. For instance, there is a very active veterans scene here, with a strong charitable side, i.e., honor flights and helping disabled veterans. That's just one example. You will find a way to make friends with common interests. But...people are so "specialized" as they grow older and learn what they like …. only a small percent of people will have common interests with you and odds are against more than one or two of them being in your neighborhood.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:24 AM

I am single f and live in a CV. I have found the smaller closer community that a CV has is perfect for meeting and making friends. I highly recommend the nice mix of privacy in your backyard with the openness of a small group. Come to our area in Villa Valdosta!
Old 02-18-2019, 09:33 AM

Our villas are about 95% lived in year round. Once you meet your neighbors, you start to look out for each other. Villa people are unique. You will feel safe from day one. No regrets here. Phillip's Villas family member.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittycat522 View Post
Coming soon and want to purchase a 3BR Courtyard Villa retiring FT Sept. and moving to TV. Heard CV for single person not best choice as neighborhoods mostly snowbirds and empty so less community feel and not as safe. Any thoughts if this is true?
I absolutely don't agree. I live in a CV along with the best neighborhood ever lived in. We have a lot of singles mixed with couples and the most wonderful thing is that we actively share all kinds of activities within the Villas. We are in Piedmont Villas and have a monthly newsletter highlighting our events. I'd be happy to send you one if you are interested. At present we have 2 Villas available.
Diane
Old 02-18-2019, 10:02 AM

Listen to your father.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:33 AM

As you are a first time home owner, I would recommend renting an unfurnished place for a year. This will enable you to check out the neighborhoods and find out what part of TV your chosen classes/groups are. TV is now very big and you can waste a lot of time moving from one rec center to another (and in season you have to be in line for certain groups/classes an hour before the start to ensure getting in!!!). Waiting for a year also will give you an option for the new apartments being built near Brownwood Paddock Square called 'The Lofts' - estimated completion 2020. The Lofts at Brownwood | The Villages
I wish I had rented prior to buying as some decisions I made were a mistake.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:49 AM

If you have a dog you will really appreciate the enclosed layout so you can just open the door and let your mutt out without a worry. Plus, security as far as I know is not an issue. Been here over 4 years and would never buy a house.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
As you are a first time home owner, I would recommend renting an unfurnished place for a year. This will enable you to check out the neighborhoods and find out what part of TV your chosen classes/groups are. TV is now very big and you can waste a lot of time moving from one rec center to another (and in season you have to be in line for certain groups/classes an hour before the start to ensure getting in!!!). Waiting for a year also will give you an option for the new apartments being built near Brownwood Paddock Square called 'The Lofts' - estimated completion 2020. The Lofts at Brownwood | The Villages
I wish I had rented prior to buying as some decisions I made were a mistake.
hanks for link. I heard of Brownwood apartments but been in apt all my life and no yards so now in retirement I want a nice private back yard without alot of yard maintenance needed as I like to spend so much time outside. Plus I just love LSL square and that area is more central to both Brownwood and SS.
Closed Thread

Tags
villa, snowbirds, empty, neighborhoods, choice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.