Villa Rentals..... money will not be returned !!!

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2020, 01:56 PM
Default The very simple solution to all of these posts are;

[QUOTE=Shell1234;1768367]Same thing happened to me. Rented March & April. Left March 23. They would not reimburse for April. Bad business practices in light of
pandemic & The Villages ability to work with renter!!![/QUO

EMPATHY AND BUSINESS ETIQUETTE]
Old 05-20-2020, 02:46 PM

Some times the owner of a property will let The Villages Property Management handle the arrangements for rentals. Approximately 15 years ago my children let The Villages handle their property which I believe cost them 18% handling fee from The Villages with a lot of restrictions on how the home could be decorated. They chose to change after 1 year and began renting on their own only advertising in the Daily Sun and another internet site. They no longer use their home for a rental but prefer to leave it empty when not in use.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I had a tenant from the NY area who did not want to leave at the end of April. I let them stay until they were ready to go home at my carrying cost only which was $45 a day. But this is why the majority of my tenants are repeat customers.

Have openings for August through December due to cancellations from folks from Europe who were concerned about the travel. Gave one a full refund and the other a reschedule to the following year which is what each wanted.

Just treat folks the way you would want to be treated if you were in their situation. Will you get cheated sometime? Probably, but you will also get rewarded many times over.

I agree. The Golden Rule. Good for you.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
You are FANTASTIC Papa Muzzy!!! I lost 1/3 of my March villa time when Canadian government told us to come back ASAP. No refund offered. It added up to almost $900 loss for me.
We left mid March also but did not ask for a refund (and were not offered one) since we chose to leave early.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:34 PM

We lost our April rental due to the covid 19 virus to what would have been 1st time renters in The Villages. Being from Canada, they had no access to enter the US. We changed their dates to same time next year. We will be out a month's rental now but it was the right thing to do and they were pleased. It was not anyone's fault they could not come. Also lost this year's Nov. Dec rental for the same reason. Canadians who have been told not to travel until a vaccine is available. We applied their payment to next year as well. Tough times for all. It is not what one can get away with doing, but do the right thing and it will come back to one in a positive way.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud1949 View Post
If you had a Villa rental booked earlier this year and were told you could changed the date, then you have to cancel as your government, Canada, Europe or UK, will still NOT allow you to travel, and / or the US government will NOT allow you entry , The Villages WILL NOT give you a refund.

QUESTION......So who is keeping this money, the owner, or the villages. Even a 50% refund would be a kindness in these very difficult times. If the villa remain empty you have still made money to cover the basics.

Either way it is bad business practice, and a sure fire way to make plenty of cash for no outlay. Perhaps both Owners and Villages can try thinking of what will happen NEXT YEAR... A friend who is 73 is $2350 out of pocket, and they are suggesting they re-book next year... you must be joking... we are not all millionaires.....some take 2 years to save that money.
I think you are confused about where rental money goes. The Villages owns some seasonal rentals and I have no idea what their policy is. We owned a villa that we rented. The Villages had nothing to do with it except check-in and an amenities card. If there was someone staying there we would expect them to pay the rent. If they departed early it would depend on the circumstances whether we gave a refund or not for the time not stayed. If they did not show because of an illness we would refund after we re-rented. If we lost a renter because of a quarantine such as we just went through, it's just the cost of doing business. We would lose the money just as the shops, stores and restaurants have experienced. Maybe the people who couldn't come because of the quarantine would want to put that rent towards renting for next year.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:21 AM
Veteran member

"The Morse Syndicate doesn"t care. if they will not give a break on business closures due to covid why vacation rentals."

You don't know that.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:06 AM

On the positive notes , As was stated if I treat people like I wish to be treated then hopefully what goes around Comes around. And then the one that I like the best... Karma is a.bit_h. God will move mountains but I must bring the shovel.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:53 PM
Location: Chicago, Gillingham UK, San Francisco, Tokyo, Hong Kong, London UK, Washington, DC

Quote:
If you had a Villa rental booked earlier this year and were told you could changed the date, then you have to cancel as your government, Canada, Europe or UK, will still NOT allow you to travel, and / or the US government will NOT allow you entry , The Villages WILL NOT give you a refund.

QUESTION......So who is keeping this money, the owner, or the villages. Even a 50% refund would be a kindness in these very difficult times. If the villa remain empty you have still made money to cover the basics.

Either way it is bad business practice, and a sure fire way to make plenty of cash for no outlay. Perhaps both Owners and Villages can try thinking of what will happen NEXT YEAR... A friend who is 73 is $2350 out of pocket, and they are suggesting they re-book next year... you must be joking... we are not all millionaires.....some take 2 years to save that money.

Agreed. We're out the same amount for our previous booking for the month of July. After this sudden flareup of cases both here in Texas and in Florida, we requested to cancel our booking OR re-schedule our booking OR at least credit us for a future booking but Hometown Property Management refused all requests. It's a pretty cold and unsympathetic response from a community of retirees who know all too well the health risks we're all facing at present. It's frankly unbelievable. I've no interest in further dealings with them.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:11 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,552 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:

You agreed to the contract so whats the issue? It said you can change the date. So? Change it. You cant hold the owner responsible for the restrictions of a virus. Why would you expect them to change the rules?
Old 07-03-2020, 06:30 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,772 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelUK View Post
Agreed. We're out the same amount for our previous booking for the month of July. After this sudden flareup of cases both here in Texas and in Florida, we requested to cancel our booking OR re-schedule our booking OR at least credit us for a future booking but Hometown Property Management refused all requests. It's a pretty cold and unsympathetic response from a community of retirees who know all too well the health risks we're all facing at present. It's frankly unbelievable. I've no interest in further dealings with them.

Providers (property owners) have expenses and if you hadn't reserved it, someone else who could probably would have. Why should the owner take the hit? What is the logic?

Travel Insurance Quotes - Compare & Buy Trip Insurance
Old 07-03-2020, 09:19 AM
Location: Chicago, Gillingham UK, San Francisco, Tokyo, Hong Kong, London UK, Washington, DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Providers (property owners) have expenses and if you hadn't reserved it, someone else who could probably would have. Why should the owner take the hit? What is the logic?

What "hit"? We attempted to cancel weeks before our intended arrival?
Old 07-03-2020, 10:21 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post

Maybe someone else would have reserved it, but they would likely be trying to cancel too. Some owners have been providing at least a partial refund, 50% for example. There may be a written agreement but there is no reason the parties cannot agree to something else. Hopefully the golden rule will be applied in most of these cases.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryl View Post
The Villages or property managment should put the money that the people pay to rent toward next year rental it’s only fair
The villages has gotten to big and greddy and doesn’t care about its owners or the people that rent there all resorts and big hotels have accommodated there renters and that is why people go back
I think the OP said they offered to rebook which is an accomodation.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,772 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelUK View Post
What "hit"? We attempted to cancel weeks before our intended arrival?
The "hit" would be loss of revenue while still having carrying costs.

Still waiting to hear the logic on why the landlord, who invested his time and money, should lose out just so you can get a refund. Travel insurance could have saved you.
Closed Thread

Tags
money, year, villages, villa, government

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.