Village + Age

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

"Are you a young 68 and 72 or an old 68 and 72?"

Does a young 80 overlap an old 68/72 or a young 68/72?

I would like to think here in TV the more appropriate question would be trying to find a village that has people who share your interests and energy levels.

Age bias will only assure that you live in a village with people your age.

Don't cheat yourself out of the more abundant options available sans the age criteria.

btk
Old 10-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
As we age we all have our own narrow minded view of those older than us or those who act older than us.

A lift from a post above "... a relative youngster by TV standards...." begs the question.....and just what might those standards of OLD be here in TV?????

Too bad some will miss out on some very nice places to live in TV because of the need for the "younger" specification.

As far as the newer built areas having "younger" residents......Yup those of us who retired sometime yester year are in deed older than those retiring now. And that would mean the folks looking to buy/build in TV currently must be "younger" than those of us who already live here....duh.

And I now wonder what those who are "older" than those of us already here and looking to buy/build in TV ask? Do you think they want to know where the "older" folks live.

I know the horse is beaten and dead. But there are those of us who are old and know it and don't know it and it doesn't matter because of who we are and how we act. Then there are those, apparently, who are old and may feel a need to separate themselves from the "old" because they are and are just fighting/denying the fact they too are well ......"old".

All find out soon enough that age is nothing more than a number on a piece of paper that allows laws/rules to govern (or not) by. Eventually as one becomes a resident of TV one soon discovers "age" is indistinguishable.....a relative concept that has absolutely no impact on the behavior, attitude, capability or demeanor of an individual.

I am in my 70's and I still complain about the old farts who are in my way or going to slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btk
This post is well said and shows the writer to be ageless, a thinker, a person with a sense of humor and completely in agreement with what I believe.

Trapped inside of everyone of us that lives here in The Villages, the young-old and the old-old, is a 17 year old still alive and well and that 17 year old may still have a bit of an attitude about being summarily dismissed because of age.

And I love this line..

Age and treachery will beat youth and exuberance at every turn.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Sage

I asked my mother who was in her nineties to call my best friends sick mother to cheer her up.

She complained to me and asked why I did I bother to ask to call and that she couldn't hear what she was saying. She then asked how old she was and I replied , she is 78.

She said, "Oh, she's just a kid".

Age is in the eye of the beholder.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Sage

Well, I know a young 100 year old man who is more active than most anyone I know. It isn't an insult. It is an observation. I'm 51 and I'm not as active as most of my friends. My friend shoots pool, plays boche, walks daily, attends Mass, sings karaoke, lol.

I know some people in their early-70s who aren't as active. It isn't an insult. The do the best they can do and enjoy themselves. I hope they enjoy themselves. If they don't, it isn't anyone's fault but their own. I know people in their 70s who travel and explore the world. Some are younger than others.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I asked my mother who was in her nineties to call my best friends sick mother to cheer her up.

She complained to me and asked why I did I bother to ask to call and that she couldn't hear what she was saying. She then asked how old she was and I replied , she is 78.

She said, "Oh, she's just a kid".

Age is in the eye of the beholder.
That's right, 2BNTV. My dad turned 93 on Sept. 11. His health is good, but his mobility is really compromised since a bought of pneumonia a couple or years ago. Before that he was volunteering at the local food pantry.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 PM

I was transferred when our son was about the same age. It was not The Villages but he was still looking for friends in a new location. He took a few classes at the local jr college and met some friends. He also worked at the YMCA Camp and latchkey program. Most of the counselors were his age. He made alot of good friends at the YMCA. Don't know if there is anything like that in the surrounding area but might be an idea. Wish you the best of luck. Also, when we were The Villages earlier this year there was a young man that came to "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader". I think he had as much fun as we did.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.