Village health hack.

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2021, 02:24 PM
Default Village health hack.

Received notice my credit card was used in MN. Thank goodness for notices when ever you charge something. It was a small amount but if had gone thru they would have started having a field day. Got the cards cancelled and new cards are on the way. Just now it was tried again. I know the Village Hospital system isn't the only one having an issue but it would be nice with all the information that they have on each person, they would work a little bit harder. Just a little while ago another charge was tried to be placed. This on was in Mitchell AU. So everyone be on the lookout, trouble is on the way
Old 09-17-2021, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtime View Post
Received notice my credit card was used in MN. Thank goodness for notices when ever you charge something. It was a small amount but if had gone thru they would have started having a field day. Got the cards cancelled and new cards are on the way. Just now it was tried again. I know the Village Hospital system isn't the only one having an issue but it would be nice with all the information that they have on each person, they would work a little bit harder. Just a little while ago another charge was tried to be placed. This on was in Mitchell AU. So everyone be on the lookout, trouble is on the way
It's good you were able to catch this before it became a big problem.

Did you use that card only at the Villages Hospital? If not, how do you know that was where it was compromised?

I don't recall reading much about the hospital hack, except that it happened. Was patient billing data taken?

I've had my card number used twice and I've been told my information was part of a data breach at least three times. Funny thing is, the fraudulent attempts to use the card occurred before any of the data breaches - they were not related at all.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-17-2021, 02:57 PM
Sage

Don't know if this would apply but The Villages Hospital had their computer system hacked a few weeks ago. It took a few days for them to get it taken care of. Wouldn't be surprised CC info got hacked from that situation.
Earlier this year my debit card was hacked....2 very small entries were done but that's what they do to see if it will work. Like you we check daily so were able to stop the endeavor. My CC also got hacked a few months ago as well for a larger sum. I reported it and the company took care of it. In both cases, my cards were replaced. Some folks do all their transactions online and probably never double check their activities to catch the thieves.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
It's good you were able to catch this before it became a big problem.

Did you use that card only at the Villages Hospital? If not, how do you know that was where it was compromised?

I don't recall reading much about the hospital hack, except that it happened. Was patient billing data taken?

I've had my card number used twice and I've been told my information was part of a data breach at least three times. Funny thing is, the fraudulent attempts to use the card occurred before any of the data breaches - they were not related at all.
People have not changed. I would be shocked to see anyone say, yet it was my fault and I will take care of all damages.

ID thief. Our information is all over the place. Your social security number. As I recall it was my student ID number. Brokerage. Many years a go I was dealing with a guy for several years. He left. Security? Obviously he took their files as he contacted me, sent me a file and suggested I transfer my account to him. If, was a major brokerage. After years of doing business with me. They insisted I complete forms and update my information. Clearly, they discovered their files had been stolen.

INSURANCE? Those trying to sell it do not tell you by law your risk is limited to $50.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Use Amex exclusively. They Text if anything looks suspicious, to either approve or deny charge. If there is a problem a new card is overnighted. It’s worth a yearly fee for piece of mind, and points to use all year long.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Very unfortunate this happened. So was it Villages Health or The Villages Regional Hospital, two separate companies.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:27 AM
Veteran member

Fyi capital one allows you to have virtual numbers , only good at one business. It stops this 100% .
Old 09-18-2021, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Use Amex exclusively. They Text if anything looks suspicious, to either approve or deny charge. If there is a problem a new card is overnighted. It’s worth a yearly fee for piece of mind, and points to use all year long.
My Citi Mastercard (2% cash back) does exactly the same thing with no annual fee.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Interesting, my credit card also had charges from MN at the beginning of Sept.
I have not used anything at the Villages Hosp. My card company notified me and adjusted the charges.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

And the banks will typically cover your $50.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSAREKEEPERS View Post
Interesting, my credit card also had charges from MN at the beginning of Sept.
I have not used anything at the Villages Hosp. My card company notified me and adjusted the charges.
Poster mentions Villages Health and Villages Hospital, two separate companies. Were you at Villages Health?
Old 09-18-2021, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

Amex can take 24-48 hours to text . Cap one in minutes .
Old 09-18-2021, 06:33 AM
Veteran member
Default Points fees etc

Not to hijack anything but in my mind if you had an AMEX card your business was paying for it for many years and it was a tax write off the fees. Further going back to the seventies when they started with points and called it loyalty, you do realize everyone's prices went up to cover the cost of the points and it really is a scam in that the government does not tax your value of points given which can be thousands of dollars for some people and that's the government gets screwed out of money. At least that's my viewpoint I'm not saying people don't enjoy getting the points and yes I've used points when given to me but it does ADD 1% to the total cost according to retailers at least
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Old 09-18-2021, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Poster mentions Villages Health and Villages Hospital, two separate companies. Were you at Villages Health?
I don't understand where the proof that this was at either Villages Health or Hospital originated. Millions of CC's are compromised each year, why is the OP convinced that the source is known? Just because they were "hacked" a month or so ago? Post hoc ergo propter hoc
Old 09-18-2021, 06:53 AM

My card info was stolen one time at Beef O’Brady’s. Only place I had used it in quite a while. Citi Bank told me all the thief has to do is take a picture of the front and back of your card and then they can use it for online shopping. They will also sell the info for a few dollars to thieves. Great way to supplement their salaries.
Closed Thread

Tags
village, cards, charge, bit, mitchell

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.