Computer/Internet Usage in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Sage
Default Computer/Internet Usage in The Villages

Would anyone care to estimate what percentage of residents of TV have personal computers in their homes and use the Internet? My 82 year old father (who does not live in TV and does not have a computer) is convinced that the great majority of people in their golden years do not have computer, and do not use the Internet. I disagree with him.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Would anyone care to estimate what percentage of residents of TV have personal computers in their homes and use the Internet? My 82 year old father (who does not live in TV and does not have a computer) is convinced that the great majority of people in their golden years do not have computer, and do not use the Internet. I disagree with him.
I don't know anyone who doesn't use email and the Internet. And I know a lot of wrinklies cuz I is one.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Sage

Tell you dad even the assisted living facilities have computer access available for the residents.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Sage

Why should my dad get a computer? If he wants to order something on line, he calls me. If he wants me to look up something on line, he calls me.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Sage

I would venture a guess of about 5%. From their perspective, some people are not PC literate and if they got along without using one all these years, what is their incentive to change?

Having worked in the PC industry, you can give the user all the user manuals that are need to resolve easy problems. The minute something doesn't work to perfection, they pick-up the phone to call the helpdesk. The manuals gather dust. Some people rely on other people who know just a tad more, as it's easier to call that person.

It's just the way it is for some people. It is a shame as the internet really is an interesting tool for finding solutions to one's problems as well as exploring the web for videos, etc. It can open a whole new world for those who want to know more and do more.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Platinum member

My mother lives with us in The Villages and is 100. (Shh - don't tell her I told because she doesn't want anyone to know.) She is on her computer most of the day. She e-mails, does her banking and investments on line, and surfs the web. She had a delicious casserole when I got home from the airport recently and when I asked where she got the recipe, she said "I googled it!"
Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I couldn't even guess what the percentages throughout TV would be, but I can tell you that I don't think I've met a single person here that doesn't use the Internet. My neighborhood plans socials and parties through email and as far as I know, everyone in the neighborhood has an email address.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Over 50%

According to a study referenced in this report, more than 50% of adults 65 and older use the internet.
Internet adoption | Pew Internet & American Life Project
Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default My experience

I run a club of approx. 150 members up to upper 80's YO in age and only 2 or 3 do not have an email addresses...that's how we do business and make our announcements.
_
Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Why should my dad get a computer? If he wants to order something on line, he calls me. If he wants me to look up something on line, he calls me.
Far be it for me to tell you what to do , but that is one of the wonderful things about The Villages. Finding all the new and wonderful things to do. I have a home I rent out in the winter and everyone who rents it always asks if it has wifi. I don't think I could rent it without it. I must tell you a funny story about the elderly and electronics. I got my mother a cell phone (very simple one)incase she would need to get ahold of me for anything . She would not turn it on or take it with her. I turned it on for her once and it was on vibrate (dad is hard of hearing) when it went off she threw it because she said it was shocking her and never touched it again. Some of the elderly just can't grasp some of these things we use everyday.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
my mother lives with us in the villages and is 100. (shh - don't tell her i told because she doesn't want anyone to know.) she is on her computer most of the day. She e-mails, does her banking and investments on line, and surfs the web. She had a delicious casserole when i got home from the airport recently and when i asked where she got the recipe, she said "i googled it!"
god bless your mother !
Old 03-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
My mother lives with us in The Villages and is 100. (Shh - don't tell her I told because she doesn't want anyone to know.) She is on her computer most of the day. She e-mails, does her banking and investments on line, and surfs the web. She had a delicious casserole when I got home from the airport recently and when I asked where she got the recipe, she said "I googled it!"
That is priceless. Bravo for your mom!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Nice story JoJo. You are very, very lucky to have your mother living with you, using e-mail, and googling recipes! Well done!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
jojo,

Your mom rocks!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:00 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I would venture a guess of about 5%. From their perspective, some people are not PC literate and if they got along without using one all these years, what is their incentive to change?
Are you saying that only 5% of TV residents use computers. I disagree strongly. I don't know anyone who doesn't use a computer, even if they don't own one. Thousands who use Ipads, Iphones, netbooks, all internet connected. All the clubs and TV college classes communicate by internet.
I would estimate that about 95% or more of TVers use the internet regularly. I bet there are more computers than golf carts!!
As for getting along without it, I suppose you could get along without a telephone. You could certainly get along without a television. But few do.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.