Village Neighbors Magazine - August 2019

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Thumbs down Village Neighbors Magazine - August 2019

How many have read the article in this month's edition on "Unscrupulous Homeowners"...written by the CEO of RoMac, Don Magruder?

While I am always interested in hearing the 'other side' of any issue and I sympathized with a number of items he brought up, when I read this in the last paragraph...I was almost in shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Magruder
"Do you really want to cheat a person who owns power tools and knows where you live?"
Given that it is nothing short of an implied threat of doing something illegal, I know one contractor that I personally will not be inviting to bid...on any of my future projects.

And yes, I completely understand that he's not implying/saying that his company would do/has done this...it's just the tone of it that disgusted me.

And yes again, I realize there will be those who think there's nothing wrong with what was written...especially since I think there is.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	RoMac-3.jpg
Views:	1034
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	80412  
Old 08-08-2019, 05:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
How many have read the article in this month's edition on "Unscrupulous Homeowners"...written by the CEO of RoMac, Don Magruder?

While I am always interested in hearing the 'other side' of any issue and I sympathized with a number of items he brought up, when I read this in the last paragraph...I was almost in shock.

Given that it is nothing short of an implied threat of doing something illegal, I know one contractor that I personally will not be inviting to bid...on any of my future projects.

And yes, I completely understand that he's not implying/saying that his company would do/has done this...it's just the tone of it that disgusted me.

And yes again, I realize there will be those who think there's nothing wrong with what was written...especially since I think there is.
My husband has been a contractor for years and has had plenty of people trying to scam him over the years, I do get it.
On the other hand there is a lot of bad contractors out here that are not licensed and take advantage of the elderly.
the door swings both ways.
If you don't have a good feeling about someone. than trust your gut and stay away! simple advice!
Old 08-08-2019, 09:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
My husband has been a contractor for years and has had plenty of people trying to scam him over the years, I do get it.
On the other hand there is a lot of bad contractors out here that are not licensed and take advantage of the elderly.
the door swings both ways.
If you don't have a good feeling about someone. than trust your gut and stay away! simple advice!
I too, can also see both sides of the issue...which is why I read the article.

I guess I'm more than a little amazed though, that with about 375 views so far, no one else but yourself has even commented, much less seems to have a problem...with the disgusting comments made by the CEO of RoMac.

To me...that's simply mind-boggling.

Then again, maybe it's just that as often happens when viewing the actions of people...I'm setting the bar too high.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

i get your frustration; Romac used poor judgement in posting such a article.
Sometimes some ones thoughts do not transfer to words properly.
I will give them the benefit of the doubt and consider the frustration the good contractors face here form a lot of entitled people.
Just MHO
Old 08-08-2019, 10:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
i get your frustration; Romac used poor judgement in posting such a article.
Sometimes some ones thoughts do not transfer to words properly.
I will give them the benefit of the doubt and consider the frustration the good contractors face here form a lot of entitled people.
Just MHO

I'll have to disagree a bit.

I believe it goes far beyond just..."poor judgment."

I think it gives a rare insight, into how a large swath of contractors...view us.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Whatever he intended, it was certainly a mistake to make such a statement. I now do not want to use them either. I would be worried that any dispute could lead to some kind of action.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I agree this was a very poor choice of words, a few contractors I have dealt with placed liens on the house for large projects, in case I tried to stiff them, then I had to make sure to get a relief of lien (I think that is what it is called) when I paid the bill.
The wording in this article is actually threatening, and I can easily see why people would avoid using the company based on this article.
I would hope that there is some form of apology (sincere) and that they go out of their way to clarify their position (wording in contract/bill, etc.) for any disputes in the future.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Most people would not put the emphasis on it that the OP did. It sounded like a "tongue in cheek" comment to me.

Certainly any contractor as successful as Romac is should know that there are people who would not understand this attempt at sarcastic humor.

Everyone is looking to pounce these days.

Careful language that just reports the facts and does not give opinion or attempt at humor is what people want these days. You know, like the reporters on the major news networks.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-08-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I agree this was a very poor choice of words, a few contractors I have dealt with placed liens on the house for large projects, in case I tried to stiff them, then I had to make sure to get a relief of lien (I think that is what it is called) when I paid the bill.
The wording in this article is actually threatening, and I can easily see why people would avoid using the company based on this article.
I would hope that there is some form of apology (sincere) and that they go out of their way to clarify their position (wording in contract/bill, etc.) for any disputes in the future.
While a sincere apology would certainly be warranted, in rereading the whole article a few times it is is easy to see that the entire tone is one of attacking (what I'm guessing is a minority of homeowners)...who try to get out of paying for services rendered.

And as I mentioned previously, I'm sure there are those who have tried to get out of their legal responsibilities, or have been difficult clients, but from the plethora of threads on TOTV of being ripped-off by contractors...that pendulum certainly swings both ways.

Since RoMac seems to be a prime contractor on most of Da Family's home-building, I'm guessing Magruder feels insulated enough from any significant financial fallout...to express his disgusting and threatening views.

I can't help but wonder though, what/how The Developer feels...about this article and its overall tone.

THAT, at least for me...would be very interesting to know.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
village tinker it is called a notice of commencement, which i believe is what you are speaking of. It protects contractors and homeowners as well. It is there to protect everyone if it is exercised properly. JMO
Old 08-08-2019, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

The contractor sounds like he was just ripped off. And it’s ok to think certain things but not to write them in a publication! I think that it was tongue-in-cheek but...

It would make me very nervous to hire a contractor like this.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
The contractor sounds like he was just ripped off. And it’s ok to think certain things but not to write them in a publication! I think that it was tongue-in-cheek but...

It would make me very nervous to hire a contractor like this.
You may not be aware, and unless I'm mistaken, this company is and has been, the SOLE provider of garage doors (and?) for ALL Villages homes for years...so we're not talking about some small fry contractor.

Which, to me at least, made his comments...even that much more egregious.

After reading the entire article and its unmistakable tone, I personally can't imagine anyone being naïve enough to believe that this very clearly stated and implied threat...was "tongue-in-cheek."

I would encourage everyone to read the entire article, and point out at any time ...where he sounded like he was 'just joking.'
Old 08-08-2019, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

No I did not know that the contractor was so prevalent in TV. Wow! In that case it really would be prudent to apologize or at least explain because I would not work with someone who’d threaten me.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
No I did not know that the contractor was so prevalent in TV. Wow! In that case it really would be prudent to apologize or at least explain because I would not work with someone who’d threaten me.

Yep, it's pretty darned amazing...that's for sure.

In fact, further research shows that they also build trusses and other building materials, that I'm guessing...have went into thousands and thousands of houses here in TV (they've been in business for over 70 years).

RoMac (Nail Here)
Old 08-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Sage

For those who still haven't had a chance to read the entire article, or who might try and excuse the tone as just "tongue-in-cheek" or "kidding"...here it is in its entirety.

Y'all make up your own minds.

And oh yeah, what part of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Magruder
"There is another aspect of the construction and home repair side of the business equation that does not get mentioned frequently, WHICH IS JUST AS PREVALENT..."

"While there are bad people in the construction industry, there is a similar percentage of homeowners who are bad people."

...sounds like a joke?

I mean seriously..."JUST as prevalent...as ripping off older homeowners?!"

It's probably just me and my sense of fairness, but the more I think about it...the more disgusted I become.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	RoMac Article - Page 1.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	80468   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	RoMac Article - Page 2.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	80469  

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 08-10-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
written, read, bid, inviting, illegal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.