You can use your credit card.....

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Sage
Default You can use your credit card.....

without it being compromised.

Simply remove the three digit code (put it in a safe place for when you need it) from the back of your credit card and instead of a signature, simply write "see ID".

My husband and I have both done this with our credit cards and haven't had a problem since.

How to physically secure your credit card
Old 03-05-2014, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post

Simply remove the three digit code (put it in a safe place for when you need it) from the back of your credit card and instead of a signature, simply write "see ID".

My husband and I have both done this with our credit cards and haven't had a problem since.

It's a little more complicated than that when you factor in hackers who are, say, sitting in a foreign country (or even the US) and breaking into companies' files, as happened in Target. There are many more ways to have your cc info stolen, which is why I don't believe it's necessarily being done by an employee at the last place you frequented.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It's a little more complicated than that when you factor in hackers who are, say, sitting in a foreign country (or even the US) and breaking into companies' files, as happened in Target. There are many more ways to have your cc info stolen, which is why I don't believe it's necessarily being done by an employee at the last place you frequented.
This is an informational post.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
This is an informational post.
I realize that, and thank you for that piece of the security puzzle, Angie. I was just pointing out, since your post title was using your cc without it being compromised, that there are other ways to compromise a cc.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 PM

I have my cards set up so that every time a purchase is made without the credit card present, I get an email.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by janieb View Post
I have my cards set up so that every time a purchase is made without the credit card present, I get an email.
Me too. I set that up online.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

I wrote "ask for Photo ID" on the back of one of my cards in lieu of a signature and a guy at the post office refused to take the card without a signature. I tried to make him understand how dumb that was without a verified signature with which to compare. That effort was futile. Now, I sign the card but also ask for photo ID. However, less than 20% of the cashiers ask for my ID.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
I wrote "ask for Photo ID" on the back of one of my cards in lieu of a signature and a guy at the post office refused to take the card without a signature. I tried to make him understand how dumb that was without a verified signature with which to compare. That effort was futile. Now, I sign the card but also ask for photo ID. However, less than 20% of the cashiers ask for my ID.
I had the same problem at our Post Office in Michigan. I think it must be a PO reg that their employees must see a signed card.

Our son has put "Ask for ID" on his cc from Day One, in lieu of his signature. He says it's amazing how many clerks ignore that.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post

You are correct that a merchant does not have to accept the card without a signature. While most ask to see my ID... I, as of yet haven't had anyone refuse my card. I wasn't even aware they could refuse service until your post.

It was in fact our bank that told us to do this when both our cards were compromised in the same week and neither one of us used them at the same place.

I understand after being refused by a merchant why you would sign yours... I will continue to take my chances.

Thanks for the information... Always trying to learn.

Should I Sign The Back of my Credit Card? | Credit.org
Old 03-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
You are correct that a merchant does not have to accept the card without a signature. While most ask to see my ID... I, as of yet haven't had anyone refuse my card. I wasn't even aware they could refuse service until your post.

It was in fact our bank that told us to do this when both our cards were compromised in the same week and neither one of us used them at the same place.

I understand after being refused by a merchant why you would sign yours... I will continue to take my chances.

Thanks for the information... Always trying to learn.

Should I Sign The Back of my Credit Card? | Credit.org
I've never had one declined for lack of signature except at the post office. I think it is just their own regs. Don't know why, though, when you subsequently pony up credible photo I.D. That's got to be more proof than just a signature.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Default credit card

We have implemented a credit card freeze at all three credit card agencies. No one can open a new credit card in our name without our knowing it.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

When I first started not signing credit cards and wrote see ID in signature line I was amazed at how many cashiers did not ask for ID.

In ten years I had one merchant request me to sign and I refused and left the merchandise there.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:26 PM

The signature on the card is required by the VISA / MasterCard rules and the merchant is required to verify that the name signed on the card is the same one that is signed on the receipt. Note I said "name"- as the merchant/clerk is not required to verify that the signature is/looks the same-only that the name is the same; and the merchant is also forbidden to ask for ID. This is according to the agreement that the merchant signs when he/she agrees to accept the MasterCard/VISA in their business. Writing "see ID" on your card does not change the merchant's responsibility at all.
(fyi, I am a former Sr Training Manager for 15 years with a well known VISA/MasterCard company)
Old 03-06-2014, 03:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

When was the last time anyone actually compared the signature on your card to your actual signature when you signed the receipt?

Half the time you swipe the card yourself and the cashier never even sees it!
Old 03-06-2014, 06:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

There are a few ways that you can enhance your chance of remaining safe while still using credit cards and protecting your identity.

1. As mentioned, freeze your credit reporting at all three agencies. It can be a bit of a pain if you apply for credit, car loan, mortgage, or any other loan, but still worth doing. Doing this is even better than hiring a credit monitoring service.

2. Have at least two credit cards. One used for in person purchases only and remove those three digits from the back of the card. Another that you use for online purchases only. Do not even carry that card with you.

3. Try not to let the card leave your presence. Hard to do in restaurants, which is why I almost always use cash there.

4. Set up e-mail notification when your card is used for online purchases and for purchases over a certain limit. Usually $100.

5. Check your online card statements at least monthly, better weekly.

Follow these 5 steps and you will reduce your risk of identity theft and credit card fraud.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.