Village shuttle rates

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Default Village shuttle rates

What do the Villagers think of the price increase to use the Village shuttle to OIA?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary S
Default Re: Village shuttle rates

I saw in another post that it made more sense to rent a car (one way) than take the shuttle.

I do not remember the numbers, but enterprise rent a car was mentioned. They were also taking into consideration the possibility of missing the shuttle due to a delayed flight (quite frequent now a days) and the convience of getting directly to your door.

It seemed to make sense to me.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:45 PM

according to the paper today it said 35.00 "round trip". If that is true than its a better rate then 30.00 each way. I'm going to call tomorrow to see what the actual rate will be and then I'll get back to let you know.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I thought it was $30 per person each way, let us know.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:53 AM

On October 1st the Village shuttle rate to OIA will be $35/person each way.

I have contacted Enterprise Rentals where a intermediate size car can be rented for ~$25/day including tax and various unnecessary charges, and can be returned to Enterprise at Lake Sumter Landing. With the cost of tolls and fuel it is less than the price of two persons one way using the Village shuttle.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Platinum member

And by renting a car you have the choice of 2 airports to fly out of: Orlando and Tampa. You might save going through Tampa.
Tampa, FL
Old 08-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Platinum member

Right, Wednesday's article erroneously said $35 round trip. Today, there's a "sidebar" which gives a "new" schedule and corrected rates. {Note that the Sun is sometimes very sloppy in its writing}
I find it very strange that TV has invested in two new vehicles (probably close to 100 grand each), but has, according to the "new" schedule, reduced the number of trips to Orlando by one! Very weird!
I have usually used the rule-of-thumb that I will use my own car if, and only if, the daily parking fee at or near the airport will amount to less than a round-trip shuttle/taxi fare. It is becoming more likely that I will drive myself for any trip of less than seven-eight days!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Shuttle rate currently is $30 per person each way. I just talked to Enterprise, if I pick up at the Orlando airport the daily rate with taxes and everything is $16 a day for a compact car (Dodege Neon). Since were coming next month for just a long weekend, Wednesday thru Sunday, the total cost for the car is $65, versus $120 for the shuttle, if we were staying longer i would look into dropping the car at the Enterprise office at TV.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Sage

The Village Shuttle Service was one of the things that sold us on moving to TV! I'm retired but my husband is still working (in Canada) for another couple of years. So he will be flying back and forth (one way trips) fairly frequently. I am intimidated by driving on strange highways to busy airports, and I'm not a great driver at the best of times. (Hoping to do better in a golf cart, but I'll warn you when I'm coming so you can watch out for me). So the Shuttle Service was a perfect solution for us, and seems reasonable to me at $35 a trip.

I think a lot of seniors don't like driving for medical reasons or because they feel uncomfortable, and the Shuttle Service is a godsend for them. When girlfriends pop down for a visit, they can take the Shuttle and I'll meet them at the Station in my Golf Cart (to be purchased, got a four seater for sale?) Sounds perfect to me.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I couldn't agree more, if you're coming in and staying for a while or evn better if friends are coming down it is a great convenience. You can call ahead and reserve a spot on the shuttle (as a matter of fact you should do this as shuttles can fill up and they take people with reservations first!) and pay with a credit card over the phone if you like.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:48 PM

We are flying down to Orlando Sept 5th. We had been down before and rented (enterprise) a car BUT this time we didn't want the hassle. (It took us 4 hours to drive to TV because there was a fire on the turnpike and we had to take a s l o w detour. When we figured out the cost ($30 1 wy for 1 person) of the shuttle ... No way Jose!

Oh.. Barefoot... I am really a "nillie" driver too and I agree. I can't wait to try out the golf cart lifestyle....We'll have to practice doing "wheelies" together before we strick out on our way through the villages!!! Watch out guys....Barefoot and I are coming.........
Old 08-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Sage

Golfnut: Good point about calling for reservations .. I didn't know you could do that! That's why I love this site, I always learn so much. Also, the fact I can pay for my guest's transportation by Visa rather than picking them up is a plus.

DarbyD: We need to buy a golf cart in October when we arrive for the first time --- do you also need to buy a cart? Gas or electric, have you decided? I definitely need a four seater so I can transport my furry friends around town. One weighs 70 lbs, not lap material. If you get there first, please let me know where you get your cart .. I am looking forward so much to the golf cart lifestyle, evening entertainment, etc. I am SO excited, I bet you are also!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

barefoot, there a couple nice electric carts for sale on this site, you can always add a back seat, and if you get a flip seat it may work out better for your dog. We have an electric and even though we want to buy another cart I am hoping to stay with another electric,they are quiet and no fumes.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:20 PM

Golfnut, can you really add a back seat? If so I want to do that to mine. Do you, or anyone else, know where I could have this done and about how much it will cost? Do I have to change anything else to compensate for extra weight (seat & people), mine is electric. Thanks for any tips!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Sage

Golfnut: I would prefer electric, I've heard they are quieter and less smelly.
Some questions, probably stupid: :joke: We will be "seasonal" .. can you leave a battery for six months and reuse it again? I read something about electric having to be towed because they run out of charge. Would that be a problem in TV? How does the price of electric compare to gas? About what does a used four-seater electric cost?

Who better to ask questions of, than a golf nut?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.