Are Villagers / elderly being Ripped-Off

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Why are we blaming the vendors for trying to make as much money as they can.....is there a rule someplace that limits what they can charge? Didn't the business you worked for or work for do the same thing? As long as the customers will pay the rate they will charge the rate. WE control that. Some will exercise that control, evidently the majority here view it differently. Competition controls pricing and pricing is determined by what customers are willing to pay. I don't view it as they taking advantage of seniors, I view it as seniors making choices that fits their lifestyle, and sometimes that's paying more for local convenience.
Somewhat agree except many merchants make it a concerted effort in attempting to charge as much as possible to those residing from The Villages. If I followed your logic, would it be okay for Walmart to charge more in neighborhoods where the clientele where minorities / less educated who didn't fully understand the free market ???

Some of the elderly population residing here in The Villages who are also financial secure may have diminished mental capacity or are vulnerable to slick salesmen.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:29 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
wow!
So glad you arrived to save us.......
Old 10-21-2020, 12:30 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=JoMar;1850527]Why are we blaming the vendors for trying to make as much money as they can.....[QUOTE]

We aren't.

Just a pot-stirrer.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Why are we blaming the vendors for trying to make as much money as they can.....is there a rule someplace that limits what they can charge? Didn't the business you worked for or work for do the same thing? As long as the customers will pay the rate they will charge the rate. WE control that. Some will exercise that control, evidently the majority here view it differently. Competition controls pricing and pricing is determined by what customers are willing to pay. I don't view it as they taking advantage of seniors, I view it as seniors making choices that fits their lifestyle, and sometimes that's paying more for local convenience.
I agree, this is the basic free market economics argument...based on survival of the fittest...but.... as long as the business is not counting on the elderly to be too weak mentally due to dementia, or physically (can’t drive further) to get the same service etc because that is being ageist, and taking advantage. Because that is abuse.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG111 View Post
I caught on quick---I assume this practice of overcharging the elderly / those living in The Villages is something that's been going on for some time...
Then that's the fault of prior villagers who have allowed this practice of overcharge to continue. As a newbie, my business is going outside The Villages.....
This is a little harsh, don't you think? Perhaps a lot of people are willing to pay more for convienience and keeping shopping easy. Doesn't make them foolish or at fault.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
I caught on quick---.

Not quick enough.................you purchased an over priced house.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,898 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Geez, you don't really have to twist the knife after stabbing him, now do you?

Old 10-21-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
This is a little harsh, don't you think? Perhaps a lot of people are willing to pay more for convienience and keeping shopping easy. Doesn't make them foolish or at fault.
I have to agree with that. My parents, now just Dad, were willing to pay for convenience. Dad is now in assisted living, still in The Villages, and there have been still a few instances where the convenience has been worth the cost.

Last edited by claricecolin; 10-21-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

And you didn't??
Old 10-21-2020, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

This is one reason why we use TOTV. The power of social media! The members post their experiences with services and providers: 95% of my service providers and things I do in TV is influenced (not determined) by what I read on this site. I am careful as to whose advice I follow. Some people on TOTV are altruistic and helpful, especially if you are a newbie. I also try to share my experiences with you guys and hope that it is of use.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:47 PM

[QUOTE=dewilson58;1850536][QUOTE=JoMar;1850527]Why are we blaming the vendors for trying to make as much money as they can.....
Quote:

We aren't.
Just a pot-stirrer.
To dewilson58 - Sir

Why do you dislike me so much ?
Have I done anything to upset you ?
I haven't done anything to you.
I'll be the adult and apologize to you if you honestly believe I have been rude to you.
Now please let it be......
Old 10-21-2020, 03:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
And you didn't??

I did pay a premium for the LifeStyle.
I was well aware what other developments were charging, both in Florida & AZ.
I made the decision.
BUT
I don't come on ToTV and say the area businesses are ripping off old people, taking advantage of them and blame prior Villagers for presumed problem.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,898 Times in 913 Posts

@dewilson. . . i should have put a ROLF but i didn't see it.

@fg111 - so your post reads like you are whining, like you want the same prices everywhere, just because you can prove that prices are cheaper elsewhere. So the world isn't fair by your standard. However, you don't have to pay those prices, you just have to shop around. So the free market works if everyone puts in the extra effort like you did, and bought outside the villages, and then the local vendor would match the prices. However, evidently that isn't happening, because TV is a relatively wealthy population as compared to the surrounding rural farm land cities and towns.

So you may not be able to afford or believe that you want to spend at the same level as the other TVs. fine, you just have to do more work to save the money. However, there is a cost to your time, and you might have a lower value on your time than others. Lower value means that spending the extra time is less expensive than the money you can save by shopping elsewhere. For example, to save $100 and shopping around, including driving back and forth, gas, and telephone time, took 5 hours, or you value your time less than $20 an hour to make an economic decision.

If I value my time at $50 an hour, the 5 hours of time = $250 and spending that much time isn't worth it to save $100. . . like wise, I value my time such that only large expensive items are worth spending time searching and negotiating. So as the item starts to climb in price, then I start to get interested in saving money, like on a new to me truck. . . at anywhere from $40-80K

Now don't ask a salesman to expect to know that you value your time less than everyone else who has walked in before you, and you can negotiate some prices, the larger the item, the more the price may be negotiable . . but don't whine and complain to a salesperson about his / her price. That's his or her living and responsibility. Just offer a lower price or keep shopping for your price point.

Also, don't dress like you have money or come from the villages, dress like you fit in to the world outside the villages. . . you might be surprised how much just that influences a sales rep.

sportsguy
Old 10-21-2020, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
After living here in The Villages, I have noticed that many salesman / companies appear to over charge those of us who live here in The Villages.

Generally speaking, "some" of the landscaping people servicing The Villages are scam artist. I was quoted 40% more for palm trees versus purchasing the same trees on my own in Ocala.
The large exterminating companies generally servicing The Villages are much more expensive than obtaining extermination services from the surrounding area.
The local Honda dealership attempted to overcharge me an extra $1500 for a new vehicle and when I stated that I could purchase the same vehicle cheaper in Orlando, the salesman cited that I could afford the higher price since I was a Villager. The same salesman also cited; why drive an extra 90 minutes to save $1500 since as an older person the extra driving to a large city could be dangerous due to my age. ( I'm 61 )
I attempted to use a franchised floor cleaning company and when I attempted to use the coupon codes generally found online, I was told discount codes generally allowed to the rest of the state of Florida was not permitted for those who live in The Villages.
I purchase a new Golf Cart just 60 miles from here and the same exact cart sold in The Villages was almost $1800 more.
In my opinion, it seems to me that many companies servicing The Villages take advantage of the elderly when it comes to pricing.
I’m thinking about driving back to Ok. To purchase our next new vehicle. 3000 to 3500 dollar lot price differences than anywhere in Florida.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

[QUOTE=FG111;1850573][QUOTE=dewilson58;1850536]
Quote:
Why are we blaming the vendors for trying to make as much money as they can.....

To dewilson58 - Sir

Why do you dislike me so much ?
Have I done anything to upset you ?
I haven't done anything to you.
I'll be the adult and apologize to you if you honestly believe I have been rude to you.
Now please let it be......
Good luck with that.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, generally, attempted, servicing, extra

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.