Are Villagers / elderly being Ripped-Off

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2020, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I’m thinking about driving back to Ok. To purchase our next new vehicle. 3000 to 3500 dollar lot price differences than anywhere in Florida.
as a month of social security worth of savings, or equal to an annual real estate tax payment, probably very worthwhile!

sportsguy
Old 10-21-2020, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
as a month of social security worth of savings, or equal to an annual real estate tax payment, probably very worthwhile!

sportsguy
Especially when I’ll be heading that way in few months.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I'll betcha a Nickel that every one of those Salespeople who ripped off Villagers were CALORICALLY CHALLENGED.

Payback is a Something?? I forgot!
Old 10-21-2020, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,038 Times in 5,330 Posts

In our previous city it was obvious that people thought you were well to do they should try and charge more. Kind of thought you made some money and than turned stupid.

Seems to work the same way here.

When we first arrived landscapers thought we would agree to pay 2-3x the going rate.

Just looked at them and said thank you and walked away. Found out what others were paying and got a recommendation and happy with the fellow we are using.

Same with other services.

Do not understand going to say a car dealership wanting to buy a car and having no idea about pricing.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,505 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going My Way View Post
I paid for a hot dog, small amount of freedom fries and a coke $11.50 plus tip, thought that was to much but what can we do beside order it again somewhere else...
You can buy a bag of little masher potatoes, a pack of good quality hotdogs, and two 2-litre bottles of coca cola, a pack of hotdog buns, a bottle of spicy brown mustard, an onion, and a jar of relish - for less than the cost of two of those dine-out dog lunches. And it'll be good for EIGHT hotdog lunches.

Plus you'll have mustard and relish left over for another 16 dogs.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG111 View Post
After living here in The Villages, I have noticed that many salesman / companies appear to over charge those of us who live here in The Villages.

Generally speaking, "some" of the landscaping people servicing The Villages are scam artist. I was quoted 40% more for palm trees versus purchasing the same trees on my own in Ocala.
The large exterminating companies generally servicing The Villages are much more expensive than obtaining extermination services from the surrounding area.
The local Honda dealership attempted to overcharge me an extra $1500 for a new vehicle and when I stated that I could purchase the same vehicle cheaper in Orlando, the salesman cited that I could afford the higher price since I was a Villager. The same salesman also cited; why drive an extra 90 minutes to save $1500 since as an older person the extra driving to a large city could be dangerous due to my age. ( I'm 61 )
I attempted to use a franchised floor cleaning company and when I attempted to use the coupon codes generally found online, I was told discount codes generally allowed to the rest of the state of Florida was not permitted for those who live in The Villages.
I purchase a new Golf Cart just 60 miles from here and the same exact cart sold in The Villages was almost $1800 more.
In my opinion, it seems to me that many companies servicing The Villages take advantage of the elderly when it comes to pricing.
Village price, know exactly what you mean. Sad.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:41 AM

Many companies do over charge. For repairs and additions We get three estimates and then make an offer. Lawn service including mowing, fertilizer and insect care are pretty outrageous. If i nee other services i ask for information on Nextdoor.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I'm amazed that some people will spend 60 minutes in Publix reviewing their purchases in order to save an extra ten dollars, but will neglect to do their own investigating and fail to travel to different car dealerships in order to shop for the cheapest price on a new car and blindly settle for the price the first dealer offers them....
Buy a car no more than 3 years old. Look into rental cars that car rental companies want to move. There are great deals available.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

@FG111 should have his membership revoked at the "The Friendliest Home Town" for a complaining about vendors servicing non commodity items to the economic engine in central florida.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:22 AM
Default They think only rich folk live here

In 13 years price have in some cases tripled, and the less wealthy are always last on the list. Vendors should remember that we put these businesses where they are when they started all those years ago and deserve the same service as others.

We often feel we are a nuisance to these companies and get second rate treatment, or our repairs and renovations are "too small" for them to bother.

Quote:
After living here in The Villages, I have noticed that many salesman / companies appear to over charge those of us who live here in The Villages.

Generally speaking, "some" of the landscaping people servicing The Villages are scam artist. I was quoted 40% more for palm trees versus purchasing the same trees on my own in Ocala.
The large exterminating companies generally servicing The Villages are much more expensive than obtaining extermination services from the surrounding area.
The local Honda dealership attempted to overcharge me an extra $1500 for a new vehicle and when I stated that I could purchase the same vehicle cheaper in Orlando, the salesman cited that I could afford the higher price since I was a Villager. The same salesman also cited; why drive an extra 90 minutes to save $1500 since as an older person the extra driving to a large city could be dangerous due to my age. ( I'm 61 )
I attempted to use a franchised floor cleaning company and when I attempted to use the coupon codes generally found online, I was told discount codes generally allowed to the rest of the state of Florida was not permitted for those who live in The Villages.
I purchase a new Golf Cart just 60 miles from here and the same exact cart sold in The Villages was almost $1800 more.
In my opinion, it seems to me that many companies servicing The Villages take advantage of the elderly when it comes to pricing.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

You mean ten CENTS
Old 10-22-2020, 06:24 AM
Default The American Way

This is simply the American Way......charge what the market will bear. It is not unique here...our homes cost more than small town Iowa, but far less than NYC or California. Competition determines price...more competitive in larger population areas. Think of how much you pay for lawn cutting versus up north. Enjoy it here, as unique as we are, we will pay what our market will bear.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:47 AM
Default We also went to Ocala to purchase our car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkw1 View Post
We went to Ocala for our car. Was cheaper than Leesburg
The car in Leesburg and in Wildwood was much higher than in Ocala, and we had less hassle than with Phillips, Jenkins or the Chevrolet dealer in Wildwood. Saved a lot and was treated better without the “Bait and switch” that I experienced at Phillips. Would NEVER do business with dishonest people. My experience with them was awful. Yes there is overcharging to Villagers!!!! But is up to us not to do business with them. I certainly don’t.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:07 AM
Veteran member

A well known fact , to save money go outside the “bubble” to get a deal. We pay a premium to live here in prices of houses also, same house on the outside thousands less.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,110 Posts
Default Oh are we still boycotting the French

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going My Way View Post
I paid for a hot dog, small amount of freedom fries and a coke $11.50 plus tip, thought that was to much but what can we do beside order it again somewhere else...
can’t keep up with all the villages boycotts
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, generally, attempted, servicing, extra

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.