Are Villagers / elderly being Ripped-Off

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2020, 07:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG111 View Post
After living here in The Villages, I have noticed that many salesman / companies appear to over charge those of us who live here in The Villages.

Generally speaking, "some" of the landscaping people servicing The Villages are scam artist. I was quoted 40% more for palm trees versus purchasing the same trees on my own in Ocala.
The large exterminating companies generally servicing The Villages are much more expensive than obtaining extermination services from the surrounding area.
The local Honda dealership attempted to overcharge me an extra $1500 for a new vehicle and when I stated that I could purchase the same vehicle cheaper in Orlando, the salesman cited that I could afford the higher price since I was a Villager. The same salesman also cited; why drive an extra 90 minutes to save $1500 since as an older person the extra driving to a large city could be dangerous due to my age. ( I'm 61 )
I attempted to use a franchised floor cleaning company and when I attempted to use the coupon codes generally found online, I was told discount codes generally allowed to the rest of the state of Florida was not permitted for those who live in The Villages.
I purchase a new Golf Cart just 60 miles from here and the same exact cart sold in The Villages was almost $1800 more.
In my opinion, it seems to me that many companies servicing The Villages take advantage of the elderly when it comes to pricing.
WHOA!!!!!

I just looked at a new pickleball paddle I'm looking to buy in The Villages and it was $30 more than I would pay in Canada. Couldn't understand why, now maybe I do.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:28 AM

I retired from GM, so my vehicle prices are predetermined, only trade in is negotiable. THAT SAID, consider buying a vehicle through COSTCO. Their prices are very competitive and you will eliminate the greedy dealer salesmen. Most dealerships have online or internet buying services and you can compare 3 or 4 dealerships and negotiate without ever leaving your home.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:34 AM

In my view, one of the drivers contributing to the higher prices experienced when one conducts business transactions with Villages merchants is the relatively high cost of doing business here in TV. Relatively higher (than outside TV) Space rents and the amount TV management extracts from the gross revenue of those businesses all contribute to the higher pricing one experiences. I was informed about the gross revenue aspect when I was conducting a general discussion with a Villages business owner and was a bit surprised.

Jus' sayin'.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:08 AM

The truth is ALL car dealerships try to maximize profit. (And probably all businesses.) The managers get fired if they don’t. The dealers further away realize if the price is the same you will buy locally so they make it worth your while to travel a little. As a consumer, we have to decide which is the most important to us, price or convenience. I, for one, buy my cars in Orlando. I was a sales manager for a car dealership the last ten years I worked.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:20 AM

The mentally of some businesses feel that everyone in The Villages are rich,so therefore they can afford to pay more than others. I guess they didn’t realize our way of life here was probably done through 40 to 50 years of working long hard hours, probably six days a week, sacrificing and saving what we could so we can all enjoy our retirement years. Being taken advantage of will happen if you do not get estimates from at least six companies, do your homework and research on products you’re interested in buying, or word of mouth from other friends and neighbors before you purchase anything. Stay healthy and Good Luck.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If people have made it to be classified as "elderly" than they probably are less likely to be scammed...............however.

There are many book smart people who are not people smart. There are many financially successful people that make you wonder how they did it . There are a lot of people of every age that get taken in....hopefully only ONCE. There is one born every minute. A lot of how people negotiate the pitfalls has to do with both experience and scars.

There are a lot of people with big mouths who would do far better to keep them shut.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:45 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default You hit the nail on the head. Look at 8 000 seniors that died

in NY nursing Homes from covid 19. . we need to speak about the way we are treated more offen.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
in NY nursing Homes from covid 19. . we need to speak about the way we are treated more offen.
People who died in nursing homes didn't die because they were scammed. They were in nursing homes because they needed to be cared for and because of the highly contagious Covid-19 was carried to them before people realized that having visitors and checking staff for illness was crucial. They died in New York before everyone realized how dangerous nursing homes are now during the Pandemic.

No one scammed them. They sadly died because they were somewhere that became dangerous before we all knew it was dangerous and acted accordingly.

No one ever not once meant to endanger people in nursing homes.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-22-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Why are we blaming the vendors for trying to make as much money as they can.....is there a rule someplace that limits what they can charge? Didn't the business you worked for or work for do the same thing? As long as the customers will pay the rate they will charge the rate. WE control that. Some will exercise that control, evidently the majority here view it differently. Competition controls pricing and pricing is determined by what customers are willing to pay. I don't view it as they taking advantage of seniors, I view it as seniors making choices that fits their lifestyle, and sometimes that's paying more for local convenience.
That's not the point vendors trying to make money, it's the people that they target to inflate the product..
Old 10-22-2020, 09:04 AM
Veteran member

Free Enterprise. The American Dream. Why not? They have a captive audience here. Most people are not going to drive 65 miles for service after they buy their car, so they buy locally. Wheel and Deal. The name of the game.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
can’t keep up with all the villages boycotts
Sorry to hear that but its not my problem......
Old 10-22-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
No one ever not once meant to endanger people in nursing homes.
Are you sure of that?
Please don't tell that to the people who lost elderly ones in New York nursing homes....
Old 10-22-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG111 View Post
After living here in The Villages, I have noticed that many salesman / companies appear to over charge those of us who live here in The Villages.

Generally speaking, "some" of the landscaping people servicing The Villages are scam artist. I was quoted 40% more for palm trees versus purchasing the same trees on my own in Ocala.
The large exterminating companies generally servicing The Villages are much more expensive than obtaining extermination services from the surrounding area.
The local Honda dealership attempted to overcharge me an extra $1500 for a new vehicle and when I stated that I could purchase the same vehicle cheaper in Orlando, the salesman cited that I could afford the higher price since I was a Villager. The same salesman also cited; why drive an extra 90 minutes to save $1500 since as an older person the extra driving to a large city could be dangerous due to my age. ( I'm 61 )
I attempted to use a franchised floor cleaning company and when I attempted to use the coupon codes generally found online, I was told discount codes generally allowed to the rest of the state of Florida was not permitted for those who live in The Villages.
I purchase a new Golf Cart just 60 miles from here and the same exact cart sold in The Villages was almost $1800 more.
In my opinion, it seems to me that many companies servicing The Villages take advantage of the elderly when it comes to pricing.
You are correct. It is true for everything. It’s not just the perception but all the business that are located on commercial land owned by the villages / Morse family costs more because they hose them for 20-30% more than other landlords ! Every excessive cost is passed onto homeowners. I’m not a golfer I’m alone wanted to meet people havent and I’m going to sell and move to a friendlier place and rent.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:51 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
You are correct. It is true for everything. It’s not just the perception but all the business that are located on commercial land owned by the villages / Morse family costs more because they hose them for 20-30% more than other landlords ! Every excessive cost is passed onto homeowners. I’m not a golfer I’m alone wanted to meet people havent and I’m going to sell and move to a friendlier place and rent.

No car dealerships on Morse land.
No lawn service on Morse land.
Palm tree vendor on Morse land..............I think not.
Extermination services on Morse land........I think not.
Flooring companies, window washers, construction contractors....not seeing them.
Winn Dixie booze is cheaper that ABC.
Publix on 466a, not seeing cheaper prices than on 44.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going My Way View Post
That's not the point vendors trying to make money, it's the people that they target to inflate the product..
My exact point and you summed it up perfectly in one line. Thxs.
When businesses raise consumer prices during a weather crisis, it is called gouging, which is illegal in most jurisdictions. When businesses raise consumer prices while targeting a specific group, such as the elderly or the infirmed, it may be construed as Financial Exploitation.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, generally, attempted, servicing, extra

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.