Villagers: paying unfair refuse collection charges is mandatory.

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Villagers: paying unfair refuse collection charges is mandatory.

In the Endicott NY area we stop our garbage whenever we leave - No problem. We can even call them up if we forgot to tell them and they will give us credit for the months we weren't there. It sure would be nice if they did the same thing in the Villages.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

It isn't a good idea to compare the TV to other "non-retirement" municipalities with respect to trash collection, sewage treatment and water works infrastructure. Although not quite apples and oranges....the disparity between the two is substantial in some areas.

To support the various community services, municipalites have the power to levy taxes whereas TV has the "power" to increase amenities fees.....so both TV and municipalities are the same in some respect.

Consider the costs: Initial cost of capital equipment, continued operation/maintenance of sewage and water treatment and the purchase and maintenance of a fleet of trash collection vehicles.....and lastly the hiring of personnel. All of the aforementioned is based on a certain "size" of community and the planning, design and construction of the infrastructure is done up front....even before the houses go up. So much of the money (to defray capital equipment cost and installation) is already spent BEFORE any bond issuances, taxes or amenties fees are collected. These are "fixed" costs that are passed on to ALL community members and they are obligated to pay "all of the time" if they are a resident. This is a bit simplistic but essentially explains the basics.

Now....let's say that you're the County Executive and you know that roughly a third of the residents in the county leave the county for about 8-9 months out of the year and they are asking for what they consider "fair relief" and NOT pay toward county bond debt, taxes or other community infrastructure support during the time they're gone. Hmmm...you'll say to yourself, this relief cannot be granted if the county (or VCDD) is to remain financially balanced.

There is a potential solution....but maybe not. Some municipalities have privatized much of their infrastructure services to avoid capital costs as well as the cost of operation and maintenance. Private companies could buy the existing assets, finance upgrades or new construction and provide sewage/water treatment and trash collection under a long-term contract often at a cost lower than government-run facilities. So now, with respect to waste collection.....if TV contracts with Waste Management Inc. for example....the contract could stipulate that residents could temporarily suspend services (and costs). Waste Management Inc. would then absorb the loss of revenue across other operations nationally which operate more profitably. Good huh? Maybe not. A company like Waste Management in performing the necessary business due diligence (profit-loss analyis part) may not bid on the opportunity if it determines that it cannot absorb the loss of income due to the temporary suspension of resident services AND still make a profit in the area. The other option is for residents to contract directly with the trash haulers.......as is the case in many municipalities......but the community would lose the advantage of collective purchasing power so waste collection fees for residents could increase (often substantially). Although competition among haulers would put a natural economic ceiling on prices...other factors to be considered....hauling distance, disposal facility ownership i.e.landfill or incinerator or waste-to-energy plant (some are private and some are municipality owned etc.)....would all contribute to the natural price floor. Revenues from recycling programs could offset costs....but that's a study in and of itself....and it should be noted that most programs nationally are economically anemic and must be heavily subsidized.

Bottom line: It's not as simple as we may think. As the TV fees are currently structured, I think we are doing well with what we have.....trash pick-up twice a week with very little restriction on what's picked up....a good deal. On water/gas....it is not possible to temporarily suspend these services for transient residents as the infrastructure and operating/maintenance costs are fixed for the community of a certain size. If we want the flexibility to suspend waste collection services.....we should be prepared to pay higher rates for those months that you're in TV....that's the only way it'll work...if at all....when you have a community with lots of transients.

Whew...lot's of typing...'nuff said. More than my two cents....more like a half a buck.

Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 09-18-2007, 10:54 AM

:joke: ??? Some of the comments on this subject make me think back to the last time my wife and I held a garage sale. We wanted to get rid of some of our old golfing equipment which was gathering dust in the garage. Most of the clubs were big name clubs so we figured people would be glad to pay $5 per club for individual clubs and use the same figure for sets of woods. My wife had a nice set of three woods (Slotline) and we were asking $15 for the set of three. A lady came up to us and said she liked the clubs and would like to pay $10 for them. She said she never uses a driver so it was of no use to her. I said it would be a shame to break up a matched set and told her the price of $15 was reasonable. Her response was that she did not want me to break up the set, she would take all three clubs for $10 and just never use the driver in the set.????????
I'm sure that in her mind she was making a reasonable request. In my mind I was dealing with a blithering idiot who should be locked up in a padded cell. Point made????? :joke: :dontknow:
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 09-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Veteran member

I agree with John Z. ...............and his dissertation. How do you tell full time employees we only need you 6 months out of 12 because of seasonal residents. Gonna be looking for help in no time soon. These are not college students as someone said and the trash will soon pile up as in NYC. Granted they are not in it for a career but they can be counted on full time in the short term. If you want the privilege of owning 2 homes then the payments and expenses go with both. I'm sure you don't turn off the heat in the winter up north while you vacation in florida in the winter. I also don't turn off the A/C here while spending time up north in the summer. I also continue to pay my water/sewer/irrigation/trash while away from "home".
Old 09-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Sage

Chuckster .. It is true that we do leave minimal heat on "up north" if we go south in the winter, but only enough so that the pipes don't freeze. You don't turn off the air conditioning in the summer if you're not there. Why is that?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Gold member

Hi, I live in upstate NY, a rural area, and we do not need to pay for garbage pick up when we are not here.

The investment made by our local sanitation engineers will be the same as anywhere else, and yet this is a service they offer. As I am thinking about this question, The Villages charge more than where I live, and the houses are closer together. Where I live the distance between houses is measured by acres and not feet.

At TV garbage pick up would be more lucrative it seems to me as the homes are one after another - lined up. There are no long drive ways to back down and snow and ice to deal with.

Just my thoughts.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 09-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Veteran member

Re. A/C left on in summer, we leave thermostat set at 80 to act as a dehumidifier. Keeps moisture level down to prevent mold, etc.

Also from rural NY and nearest farm neighbor 1/2 mile away. Trash pick up was once per week, they did recycling which was nice, but paid more per week than here where we have 2 trash and 1 yard waste pickup per week. Do miss the recycling though and it seems such a waste to not be separating out papers, plastic, etc. from the landfills.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.