Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Villagers SLOW DOWN! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/villagers-slow-down-331933/)

pauld315 07-02-2022 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsguy1 (Post 2094643)
Even though I have rented and spent weeks in The Villages over the past 15 years I have called The Villages ‘home’ since moving here from the Midwest this past summer. One thing I just can’t understand is why do so many Villagers drive so fast or come up on you and get so close to you as they follow you and act upset when they don’t think you are driving fast enough! What is the big hurry? You are retired! Slow down and smell the roses!!! I had an incident yesterday where I was driving my car in the Spanish Spring area from a country club and I had to share the road with two golf carts that were ahead of me in a residential area that didn’t have golf cart lanes along the road. Another vehicle comes flying up behind me, is waving his arms because I’m not passing these two golf carts heading toward Morse Blvd. it would have been too dangerous to pass and it was only a couple of blocks at most. I don’t get it. What’s the big hurry? Haven’t you heard the song lyrics ‘ I rush and rush until life’s no fun, all I have to do is live and die, I’m in a hurry and I don’t know why’! Slow down, there is a speed limit, try to stay somewhere close to it! I know what some of you are thinking. It’s not just the Villagers driving like this, it’s the non village residents too. Well for us residents retiring here it’s OUR community and if we Villagers slow down a bit and drive safer maybe everyone else will take our lead and just might drive a little slower and safer too. We need to set the tone. Take your time. Be safe. Avoid accidents and chill out a bit! And……. don’t even get me started on the roundabouts! Now go have a nice day and Be Well!!

How do you know it was a retired Villager behind you? All the streets are public. It could have been anybody.

Pairadocs 07-02-2022 07:52 PM

It's FAR from just "retired villagers" in a hurry here. Have you ever had a stop watch and actually clocked the lawn workers and gardeners people here hire ? They bring DOUBLE tandem trailers pulled by Dodge hemi trucks and never go under 40 mph, some actually do 55 ! Did you happen to see the pickup that failed to navigate the round about near Tall Trees on Buena Vista ? Crashed completely THROUGH the sold concrete WALL of a villa neighborhood and completely destroyed the backyard/courtyard of the lucky residents who were NOT killed as they slept ! And YES drivers , get very, VERY angry (as do villagers too) at anyone daring to just go the speed limit. They will continually pull out a bit, pull back in, pull out a bit and see an oncoming car or truck, and then, when they get even a slight chance, the "floor" it, really squeal the tires, and yell out some very salty language which the "offender" can't even hear.. it's just to allow them to "vent". Same with golf CARTS ! I guess people feel they have so few days left, that even a second counts ! Funny thing is, the way the villages is constructed, within one or two minutes, rather trucks, cars, golf carts, you ALL end up at an intersection stop sign anyway. All together in one long line... it's hilarious to think many risked their own lives, and the lives of others, and end up getting where they are headed at exactly the same time as those they recklessly passed. Oh, while we're at it, what about those who just brazenly, routinely, drive IN THE GOLF CART LANE with their trucks and autos ! Get out of MY way people they must think ???

eyc234 07-03-2022 02:41 PM

So let me get this straight, I am breaking the law by driving in the left lane at the posted legal speed limit and I have to move over to allow you to break the law putting me and others at risk. People who choose what law they deem their right to break or obey have no right to tell anyone else what law they choose to break.

:cryin2:

golfing eagles 07-03-2022 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyc234 (Post 2112490)
So let me get this straight, I am breaking the law by driving in the left lane at the posted legal speed limit and I have to move over to allow you to break the law putting me and others at risk. People who choose what law they deem their right to break or obey have no right to tell anyone else what law they choose to break.

:cryin2:

You are only breaking the law by driving at the posted speed limit in the left lane IF someone is behind and wants to go faster, regardless of his speed. So yes, YOU have to move over. YOU are not a LEO, YOU do not get to enforce the law. And YOU have no idea why that person wants to "break the law" by speeding---he may be a jerk, or he may be trying to get a woman in labor to the hospital---YOU don't know and that is why it is not up to YOU to make a determination. It is merely up to YOU to move over.

Davonu 07-03-2022 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyc234 (Post 2112490)
So let me get this straight, I am breaking the law by driving in the left lane at the posted legal speed limit and I have to move over to allow you to break the law….

Hey, you got it exactly right. Straight out of the State of Florida statutes. :)

VApeople 07-03-2022 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2112520)
You are only breaking the law by driving at the posted speed limit in the left lane if someone is behind and wants to go faster,

I think if you are planning to turn left within a mile, it is OK to mosey along in the left lane.

When I drive south on Morse, I have to turn left at a roundabout to get into Osceola Hills. A little while after I pass the roundabout at Moyer-Hillsborough, I pull over into the left lane and stay there until I arrive at my roundabout.

Get real 07-03-2022 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2095125)
How do you recognize a non-villager by their car? I've lived here two years now and still haven't learned that secret.

Loofahs, silly man, loofahs...

golfing eagles 07-03-2022 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 2112531)
I think if you are planning to turn left within a mile, it is OK to mosey along in the left lane.

When I drive south on Morse, I have to turn left at a roundabout to get into Osceola Hills. A little while after I pass the roundabout at Moyer-Hillsborough, I pull over into the left lane and stay there until I arrive at my roundabout.

Well, you may THINK that, but you would be wrong.

"According to the newly revised Florida State Statute 316.081, “a driver may not continue to operate a motor vehicle in the furthermost left-hand lane if the driver knows or reasonably should know that he or she is being overtaken in that lane from the rear by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed.”

However, "You are not required to move over to be passed if you are passing someone yourself.
You are not required to move over to be passed if you are about to make a left hand turn at a nearby intersection"

100,200 feet fine, I don't think anyone could possibly interpret that to mean "a mile"

So when you are "moseying along" in the left lane of Morse between Hillsborough and Osceola Hills, hope that the guy behind you isn't your landscaper whose co-worker is rushing him to Leesburg Hospital after his hand was amputated by a lawnmower, and hope even more that the sheriff doesn't see it.

eyc234 07-04-2022 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2112520)
You are only breaking the law by driving at the posted speed limit in the left lane IF someone is behind and wants to go faster, regardless of his speed. So yes, YOU have to move over. YOU are not a LEO, YOU do not get to enforce the law. And YOU have no idea why that person wants to "break the law" by speeding---he may be a jerk, or he may be trying to get a woman in labor to the hospital---YOU don't know and that is why it is not up to YOU to make a determination. It is merely up to YOU to move over.

Who said anything about enforcing a law, I said what makes a person breaking the speed limit law more deserving to break the law than another person choosing to break another law. If you are moving someone for a medical emergency call 911 and they will provide all the help you need, not an excuse to break the law.

brianherlihy 07-04-2022 08:39 AM

drive fast in the left lane and get over to drive in the right lane to go slow

Bill14564 07-04-2022 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2112552)
100,200 feet fine, I don't think anyone could possibly interpret that to mean "a mile"

Took me a while to read that as 100 OR 200 feet.

Two Bills 07-04-2022 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2112682)
Took me a while to read that as 100 OR 200 feet.

Nearly 19 miles in left lane?
Seems pretty reasonable. Wouldn't want to miss your turn!

Sage327 07-04-2022 12:46 PM

Villagers SLOW DOWN

An Airbus 380 is on its way across the Atlantic. It flies consistently at 800 km/h at 30,000 feet, when suddenly a Eurofighter with a Tempo Mach 2 appears.
The pilot of the fighter jet slows down, flies alongside the Airbus and greets the pilot of the passenger plane by radio: "Airbus, boring flight isn’t it? Now have a look here!"
He rolls his jet on its back, accelerates, breaks through the sound barrier, rises rapidly to a dizzying height, and then swoops down almost to sea level in a breathtaking dive. He loops back next to the Airbus and asks, "Well, how was that?"

The Airbus pilot answers: "Very impressive, but watch this!"

The jet pilot watches the Airbus, but nothing happens. It continues to fly straight, at the same speed. After 15 minutes, the Airbus pilot radios, "Well, how was that?
Confused, the jet pilot asks, "What did you do?"

The AirBus pilot laughs and says, "I got up, stretched my legs, walked to the back of the aircraft to use the washroom, then got a cup of coffee and a chocolate fudge pastry.

The moral of the story is: When you’re young, speed and adrenaline seems to be great. But as you get older and wiser, you learn that comfort and peace are more important.

This is called S.O.S.: Slower, Older and Smarter.

Dedicated to all my friends who, like me, as seniors, we now realize that it’s time to slow down and enjoy the rest of the trip.

golfing eagles 07-04-2022 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyc234 (Post 2112661)
Who said anything about enforcing a law, I said what makes a person breaking the speed limit law more deserving to break the law than another person choosing to break another law. If you are moving someone for a medical emergency call 911 and they will provide all the help you need, not an excuse to break the law.

Very simple and concise answer: THE LAW. While you and I may think it's pretty stupid, the law, AS WRITTEN, defers to the speeding lawbreaker over the moseying along lawbreaker. But it probably for the reason already stated---we DON'T KNOW WHY the person wants to speed. Besides, why not just move over and let him go? Far better he's past you and gone rather than getting tangled up with you or someone else as he gets more and more frustrated trying to pass

brianherlihy 07-05-2022 06:13 AM

get out of the left and go to the right you are not a cop . go to the right to drive slow