Villagers SLOW DOWN!

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Drivers must not continue to drive a vehicle in the far left lane when being overtaken by a faster moving vehicle, unless the driver is preparing for a left-hand turn at an intersection. Drivers failing to move from the far left lane will receive a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation.
You are ‘moving the goal posts’ in what my message was. I agree totally with all the posters that said ‘get out of the left lane on a four lane road if you are driving slow’ ….I get that! I’m not talking about someone driving 25-30 mph down 466 or 466A in the left lane. Totally different situation than the one I was posting about. Carry on.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:42 AM

First world problem(s).
Old 05-12-2022, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy1 View Post
You are ‘moving the goal posts’ in what my message was. I agree totally with all the posters that said ‘get out of the left lane on a four lane road if you are driving slow’ ….I get that! I’m not talking about someone driving 25-30 mph down 466 or 466A in the left lane. Totally different situation than the one I was posting about. Carry on.
Get used to that here. People read and understand part of what you write, make a conclusion, comment to disagree, and never fully consider what you said.

Car with one lane going your direction, there is no left lane, no right lane, only one lane.
You are behind golf carts and seconds from their turn off onto a path
Cars get behind you with irate drivers as you are impeding them.

Perhaps they cannot see that you are trailing carts and think you are alone on the road. That is the most gracious possibility.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
I wasn't talking about slow pokes. If somebody wants to go faster than you in the left lane you're supposed to move over.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I don't like to be tailgated either....however, at times I also do get frustrated with the 'speed police'...that can't do 1 mile over 30

granted there are some plain jerky drivers out there....however, here's another perspective...

we never know if that driver behind us that is so anxious to pass us is trying to get someone to the emergency room (and should have called 911, but they didn't)

or that they have an 'urgent call' and are trying to get home before they soil themselves

with all the road rage that is going on, I tend to allow them pass me
Old 05-12-2022, 05:04 PM
Platinum member

Laws are meant for the other guy. Free citizens living in a free state don't have to follow any laws.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:37 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Darn near had a head-on yesterday with a cart passing two bicyclists on a turn. Managed to swerve onto the grass just in time.

Cart paths and roads are meant to be SHARED. No one person owns them. Nor is any one person entitled to break the law just because he or she feels entitled to do so.

Driving 5 mph below the speed limit is not against the law.
Just because it OBVIOUSLY isn’t against the law does not make it smart. I make it a point to “stay out of the way”
Old 05-12-2022, 06:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
My cart can't go more than 20 mph, and most carts are the same as mine.... 20 mph is the speed limit here in the Villages anyway. Going 25 isn't going to get you there much that much sooner , so slow down and enjoy life.
Most carts go a lot faster than 20mph. Juice your’s up a little and “enjoy life”
Old 05-12-2022, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Most traffic laws here seem to be just a suggestion not a law.

Watch people at stop signs.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Darn near had a head-on yesterday with a cart passing two bicyclists on a turn. Managed to swerve onto the grass just in time.

Cart paths and roads are meant to be SHARED. No one person owns them. Nor is any one person entitled to break the law just because he or she feels entitled to do so.

Driving 5 mph below the speed limit is not against the law.
i couldn't agree more. everyone needs to exercise great caution around carts, esp in the SS region, where the lanes are very tight. all we have to do is look out for one another.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

The OP was in a neighborhood, when I am in a neighbor in my cart I generally drive down the middle of the road. The roads are not that wide and most everyone only goes about 20 mph.

Once out of the neighborhood and onto a main road or a double lane road, I agree with many here. It is a drivers responsibility to keep traffic moving and not cause a hazard. Keep to the right. If you are not in the right lane when ever there is more then 1 lane the drivers responsibility it to either keep up with the car in front of them or move to the right lane, there is no other choice.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:39 AM

Quote:
There is nothing as obstreperous as an entitled geezer.
Guess I learned a new word today
Old 05-13-2022, 04:43 AM
Default Safety first

That’s about all I have to say. I have seen golf carts whipping around too. Just yesterday at Lake Sumter in fact. It’s not worth an accident.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
First of all, not all of us are retired yet. Second, if you are driving the speed limit, it's their problem. Thirdly, if you are in a two lane traffic and you are in the left lane holding up traffic, consider pulling into the right lane to let them pass. Fourthly, use your judgment about passing carts in residential areas, if its not safe don't do it, if there is room and its safe you are better off going around them. Finally, remember in most cases you will never see these people again. Not worth getting upset about, let them go around and enjoy the rest of your day.
Perfect reply. I am not retired and 1/3 if my neighborhood isn’t either.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Even though I have rented and spent weeks in The Villages over the past 15 years I have called The Villages ‘home’ since moving here from the Midwest this past summer. One thing I just can’t understand is why do so many Villagers drive so fast or come up on you and get so close to you as they follow you and act upset when they don’t think you are driving fast enough! What is the big hurry? You are retired! Slow down and smell the roses!!! I had an incident yesterday where I was driving my car in the Spanish Spring area from a country club and I had to share the road with two golf carts that were ahead of me in a residential area that didn’t have golf cart lanes along the road. Another vehicle comes flying up behind me, is waving his arms because I’m not passing these two golf carts heading toward Morse Blvd. it would have been too dangerous to pass and it was only a couple of blocks at most. I don’t get it. What’s the big hurry? Haven’t you heard the song lyrics ‘ I rush and rush until life’s no fun, all I have to do is live and die, I’m in a hurry and I don’t know why’! Slow down, there is a speed limit, try to stay somewhere close to it! I know what some of you are thinking. It’s not just the Villagers driving like this, it’s the non village residents too. Well for us residents retiring here it’s OUR community and if we Villagers slow down a bit and drive safer maybe everyone else will take our lead and just might drive a little slower and safer too. We need to set the tone. Take your time. Be safe. Avoid accidents and chill out a bit! And……. don’t even get me started on the roundabouts! Now go have a nice day and Be Well!!
Not to mention the drivers who come to a stop or slow down and then speed thru the traffic gates. Why is everyone in such a big hurry?

Everyone please slow down when driving near the gates and carts.
Closed Thread

Tags
don’t, slow, villagers, hurry, drive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.