Villagers SLOW DOWN!

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2022, 08:10 AM

There is a difference between slow and slower.
Yes, the moving roadblock in the left lane is a clear hazard, however, it is often made more dangerous by the wannabe racers closing on them at 20 over the limit and running up on their bumpers. Similarly those who close on a slower car doing the speed limit in the middle lane and wait all of 2 seconds before passing on the right are just as if not more dangerous.
Statistics are great for overall planning, etc. Seeing the ‘show’ first hand is more informative.
To get back to the issue at hand here, it is imperative that we all recognize that we are in a community with persons of all ages, levels of skill, impairments and goals. As such, discretion is the better part of valor when operating our vehicles. Drive aware and arrive alive.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy1 View Post
Even though I have rented and spent weeks in The Villages over the past 15 years I have called The Villages ‘home’ since moving here from the Midwest this past summer. One thing I just can’t understand is why do so many Villagers drive so fast or come up on you and get so close to you as they follow you and act upset when they don’t think you are driving fast enough! What is the big hurry? You are retired! Slow down and smell the roses!!! I had an incident yesterday where I was driving my car in the Spanish Spring area from a country club and I had to share the road with two golf carts that were ahead of me in a residential area that didn’t have golf cart lanes along the road. Another vehicle comes flying up behind me, is waving his arms because I’m not passing these two golf carts heading toward Morse Blvd. it would have been too dangerous to pass and it was only a couple of blocks at most. I don’t get it. What’s the big hurry? Haven’t you heard the song lyrics ‘ I rush and rush until life’s no fun, all I have to do is live and die, I’m in a hurry and I don’t know why’! Slow down, there is a speed limit, try to stay somewhere close to it! I know what some of you are thinking. It’s not just the Villagers driving like this, it’s the non village residents too. Well for us residents retiring here it’s OUR community and if we Villagers slow down a bit and drive safer maybe everyone else will take our lead and just might drive a little slower and safer too. We need to set the tone. Take your time. Be safe. Avoid accidents and chill out a bit! And……. don’t even get me started on the roundabouts! Now go have a nice day and Be Well!!
No different than anywhere else, where do you think villagers came from? If the was tailgating and inpatient there, why would moving here change their driving habits? But, nice suggestion which will fall on deaf ears.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1934 View Post
There is a difference between slow and slower.
Yes, the moving roadblock in the left lane is a clear hazard, however, it is often made more dangerous by the wannabe racers closing on them at 20 over the limit and running up on their bumpers. Similarly those who close on a slower car doing the speed limit in the middle lane and wait all of 2 seconds before passing on the right are just as if not more dangerous.
Statistics are great for overall planning, etc. Seeing the ‘show’ first hand is more informative.
To get back to the issue at hand here, it is imperative that we all recognize that we are in a community with persons of all ages, levels of skill, impairments and goals. As such, discretion is the better part of valor when operating our vehicles. Drive aware and arrive alive.
Absolutely agree. And there certainly some reckless clowns out there. But on highways only, I prefer the guy going 10 over the limit---he will come from behind me, pass and be gone---I won't have to deal with him. On the other hand, I will eventually come up on the guy going 10 under, and not only will I have to deal with him, but everyone else who is trying to pass him---maybe an illusion, but just seems more dangerous. And quite unnecessary if that guy is hanging out in the left lane. Any time one of them is on an interstate, they effectively change a 3 lane road to two or a two lane road to one, which easily explains I-95 through South Carolina
Old 05-16-2022, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
Life is running out of time. Got to get in as much as possible with what little time is left. Sorrrrry.
We are all heading for that same brick wall. How soon and how hard do you want to hit it.
Oh, and don't be sorry. Be safe.
😃
Old 05-16-2022, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larchap49 View Post
If I'm 6 feet behind your cart and especially if you can see there is more than one cart behind you, swallow your pride, slow down pull over and let them pass. Getting mad at a person for passing you is childish.
If you are " 6 feet behind" the other cart, you are not driving safely, you are being a bully and trying to intimidate the other driver. Perhaps you should swallow your ego and drive safely until you can safely get by.
😕
Old 05-16-2022, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,655 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1934 View Post
Invariably the major cause of limited access highway incidents is speed, excess out scores slow. Left lane campers are a real problem and it being a violation is usually posted on the roadside.
Number one advice is be aware and use your mirrors frequently. The roads are increasingly populated with speed racers slaloming through the traffic lanes. Remember for example, 5 miles an hour faster for a 3 hour highway trip will only result in an average difference of 15 miles, or maybe 10 minutes.
Bottom line just slow down, be aware of traffic, car or cart and everyone goes home.
Agreed.

Another thing that should be mentioned is the danger of being in someone's blind spot. As a former avid motorcyclist this is something I learned early on and avoided blind spots like the plague. However you see it a lot on freeways, someone parked on the left rear fender of a vehicle, both going at the same speed. Such vehicles can be hard to see if you just give a casual glance before deciding to pull into the left lane to pass a guy ahead of you, and the consequences can be disastrous.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:05 AM

Blind spot add on mirror is a necessity on today’s highways. Have fitted them to all my cars/truck. It is an extension of the admonition to check your mirrors frequently, so as not to be surprised by the speed racers. Related to comment is if you are going to pass, car or truck(esp. a truck) do it, don’t dog it. Longer you take, the longer a dangerous situation exists. Use signals and don’t cut off the passed car when you return to your lane.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
50mph minimum on morse or buena vista. Old expelers of bowel gas get out of my way. Ill cut u off, lay on my horn...just get out of the way.
If I'm doing the speed limit; which ,is not 50 on those mentioned roads, and in the right lane, you can ride my a$$ all you want. I will most likely slow down and laugh at you. If you cut me off, we'll get out and talk about it. And I'm not and "old expeler".
Old 07-01-2022, 12:56 PM

If I'm on the highway in the left lane and my left turn is coming up in a mile I'm not moving to the right to let a faster ******* pass. I'm staying on the left to get into the turn lane when the light comes up. A semi today was on the verge of tailing me in the left, a couple car lengths away, then he decided to move to the right and stayed in that lane. I was going 60 in a 55.

I'm not really a speeder, I go 5-10 over but once in a while I'll see someone flying by faster. But the slow people that go 1-5 under I'm going around/past them. And if there's a light coming up I don't like to be far back in line when it turns green and have it change red. So no real hurry, but don't like to wait either. My theory has always been "nobody on the road will restrict my movement." I avoid as much traffic as I can.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
:box ing2:

Only if impeding traffic. Drive down left lane all day long as you are NOT blocking traffic.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
My cart can't go more than 20 mph, and most carts are the same as mine.... 20 mph is the speed limit here in the Villages anyway. Going 25 isn't going to get you there much that much sooner , so slow down and enjoy life.
There are many, many golf carts that have been made faster.

I drive on Pinellas Place and many carts are doing 30 mph!!
Old 07-01-2022, 03:36 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Only if impeding traffic. Drive down left lane all day long as you are NOT blocking traffic.
Why would you want to????
Old 07-01-2022, 06:28 PM
Veteran member

Yesterday, we saw a car driving the wrong direction in a traffic circle. It's crazy.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy1 View Post
You totally missed my message….I’m
Not talking about a person driving ‘slow’ on a 35 mph street like Morse Blvd or Buena Vista and you are only going 25. I’m talking about being on a street with one way lane traffic each way following two golf carts and they’re going 20-22 mph and it’s dangerous to pass and a guy gets right up on your tail and is waving and acting like a jerk. Also if I’m on Morse or Buena Vista and I’m going 5 miles or so OVER the 35 mph speed limit I’ve had people coming flying up on my tail and get all worked up I’m not going faster. I’m just saying, slow down, drive ‘around the speed’ limit and don’t be a jerk! #BeWell
I play naughty, slow even more!
Old 07-01-2022, 09:09 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
Most carts go a lot faster than 20mph. Juice your’s up a little and “enjoy life”
Bad advice. The statement "Most carts go a LOT faster than 20 mph" is misleading and if it were true, I would encourage the powers for immediate crackdown. I can tolerate "Some" carts. or a "bit faster".

Remember that you are driving a vehicle not designed for a crash at 30 MPH. You, as a driver may survive, but your passenger or occupant of another cart you hit may not. Accidents do happen. Slow down and "enjoy life".
Closed Thread

Tags
don’t, slow, villagers, hurry, drive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.