Villagers wearing shorts on a cold day

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2012, 04:34 PM

We have people here at UPS in indianapolis who wear shorts and only a jacket all winter long...never a hat and never a glove,,,I have asked why and the reply was {if you get used to the cold you won't need to cover up and you won't catch cold or the flu as often} take it for what it is worth...I personally cover up in layers and I drink hot coffee...When I am at TV on a cold evening I get an Irish coffee and it keeps me warm...
Old 01-05-2012, 07:10 PM

I usually don't dress too warm up here in RI unless I am ice fishing or it is snowing. When I go down to the Villages I usually bring a pair of pants but don't remember ever wearing them. If you stay active and moving I don't real think it gets too cold in the Villages. Two winters ago was a bit nippy but compared to New England it was a cake walk.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
It's about 46 degrees outside and I just saw a Villager(?) wearing shorts. Either he's a very hardy fellow, vacationing from up north, or he has Alzheimer's. My father had Alzheimer's and lost his ability to dress appropriately for both hot and cold weather. The other possibility is that he only packed clothes for warm weather because someone told him it's warm year-round in FL..

Do you ever wonder about people who wear summer clothing in winter weather?
I wear shorts as often as possible. My legs are not very sensitive to cold. It is not unusual to find me at home in shorts wearing heavy wool socks and slippers. I have not tried it below 50 yet. A family member nearby wore long pants for the first time last year after living here for 5 years.

I wonder more about the people who wear hats, gloves and winter coats when the temperature is in the mid 50's. No hats or gloves until the temp is below freezing in my book.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Don't know, but this photo was on my last visit to Bournemouth... Which is pretty close to you.... It was COLD!

Just saying . . .
Great photo!! My son lives about 500 yards or so behind where you are standing!!
It looks like a regular summers day
Old 01-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Default Shorts in cold weather

I been living in florida for many years and choose to weir shorts year round. If you remember years ago girls use to weir skirts all year regardless of the weather. I wonder about people who weir winter clothes when its in the upper70s and even in the 80's.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE= I wonder about people who weir winter clothes when its in the upper70s and even in the 80's.[/QUOTE]

I used to think the same way until my wife started having thyroid problems, along with being diagnosed with a chronic illness. There are times when she sweats in the dead of winter, and freezes in the humidity of summer.

Things are not always as they seem, and we were not all popped out of the same "cookie cutter."
Old 01-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
It's about 46 degrees outside and I just saw a Villager(?) wearing shorts. Either he's a very hardy fellow, vacationing from up north, or he has Alzheimer's. My father had Alzheimer's and lost his ability to dress appropriately for both hot and cold weather. The other possibility is that he only packed clothes for warm weather because someone told him it's warm year-round in FL..

Do you ever wonder about people who wear summer clothing in winter weather?
That could have been me. I just came down from Maine where it was 3 degrees. Besides, it warms up to the mid-60s even if it does start off cold. Maybe I won't be so tough after a couple of years living in Florida, but 46 isn't so bad now...

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigo View Post
..........but 46 isn't so bad now...
It's a whole lot better than the single digits we had a few days ago !!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB View Post
I used to think the same way until my wife started having thyroid problems, along with being diagnosed with a chronic illness. There are times when she sweats in the dead of winter, and freezes in the humidity of summer.

Things are not always as they seem, and we were not all popped out of the same "cookie cutter."

I also take medication for a thyroid problem and I am a diabetic (very well-controlled) but I seem to have the coldest feet, just about any time of year! During these last few cold nights I have sat at my laptop with my feet wrapped in a heating pad! I kinda used to feel like Dirigo when we first moved down here from Maine. 46 degrees wasn't all that bad. Heck, a hood and four layers of clothes, plus gloves and wind pants were all I needed for a round of golf in that weather! Now 46 degrees is awful! Hubby never put long pants on for several years after we moved. They now hang at the front of the closet and he puts them on more often this time of year. It's amazing how some of us change our tolerances the longer we are here! Call it thinning blood, call it just plain turning into a wimp, I'm not sure what happens. My feet are freezing!!

Last edited by VillagesFlorida; 01-06-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Platinum member

Too many years ago for any one to know about, the FedEx guy who came to the small travel agency where I worked in St. Louis was never, ever, seen in anything other than shorts as well as a short-sleeve shirt! We always told him that he'd freeze to death (especially when we were bundled up against near-zero temps. He shrugged it off!

Perhaps there's some truth that those who are exposed "24/7" to the cold will come to ignore it!

But, when I head out in my golf cart and the temperature is below 50F, I'm likely to be wearing a fleece jacket, hat and gloves!

With the curtains down, too!

SWR
Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Smile

No long pants and no socks!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Don't know, but this photo was on my last visit to Bournemouth... Which is pretty close to you.... It was COLD!

Just saying . . .
I love that area of England in the summer....maybe not so much in January!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
I love that area of England in the summer....maybe not so much in January!
I agree.... I love the southern coast of England!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:39 AM
Veteran member

Today at the beach here in Bournemouth, it is glorious!! Sun shining, blue sky, and just a little cool. No complaints.
My dogs love this time of year, as they are allowed to go for a swim.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.