The Villages - #1 Again!

Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2018, 07:09 PM
Veteran member
Default The Villages - #1 Again!

Hide your grandkids! The Villages is the #1 most dangerous place to Trick or Treat in the USA!

Safest & Most Dangerous Metro Areas for Trick or Treating - Security Blog
Old 10-31-2018, 07:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Hide your grandkids! The Villages is the #1 most dangerous place to Trick or Treat in the USA!

On that blog the only reference to Florida is:

"Florida has 6 metro areas in the bottom 10, including all 3 at the very bottom. In fact, The Villages, FL has the lowest percentage of kids at 4% and Homosassa Springs, FL had the highest rate of sex offenders with 1 sex offender for every 33 residents."

So in the article "Safest & Most Dangerous Metro Areas for Trick or Treating" by Alice (no other name provided), The Villages is declared number 1 most dangerous because we have "the lowest percentage of kids at 4%". No explanation of how or what survey was used, number of participants, etc. seems extremely arbitrary

I don't really understand the rationale/logic for including a 55+ community in that survey about trick or treating. There's an expression I recently learned by watching an assortment of youtube videos and that is "clickbait". Another form of dishonesty. Or how about "prove anything with statistics". Personally, I like the one, "I smell a rat". BK001 signing off this post until I decide otherwise.

Last edited by BK001; 10-31-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Angry

Quote:

Looks like complete BS.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:32 PM
Sage

I especially enjoyed reading that the NYC Jersey City Newark area is rated as the lowest metro area for violent crime .
Next Halloween I plan to fly my grandkids to Newark and turn them loose ! Should work out just fine .

But then on much closer inspection with a magnifying glass I learned that the data was complied by "The National Lampoon " .
Old 10-31-2018, 08:35 PM

Oh right. 🤔
Old 10-31-2018, 08:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post

But then on much closer inspection with a magnifying glass I learned that the data was complied by "The National Lampoon " .

I didn't find any National Lampoon reference. I did find this:

Methodology
The YLS team looked at all 383 US metro areas, analyzing four main points of data to determine trick or treat safety: percent of trick-or-treaters, pedestrian car deaths, violent crime rates, and the ratio of sex offenders. All data points were weighted equally. Definitions are as follows:

Percent of Trick-or-Treaters: The percentage of the population between ages 5 and 14, according to the 2016 American Community Survey 1 Year Estimates. Given that there may be safety in numbers when trick-or-treating, a higher percentage of children in a metro area contributed to a better score.

Pedestrian Car Deaths: The number of pedestrian fatalities per 100,000 people by state, according to the NHTSA 2016 data. An average of all states included in the metro area is used when the metro area crosses state lines. A higher rate contributed to a lower score.

Violent Crime: The number of violent crime occurrences per 100,000 people by metro area, according to the 2016 FBI crime report. When data was unavailable for a metro area, the crime rate for the principal city in the area was used. A higher rate contributed to a lower score.

Sex Offenders: The number ratio of registered sex offenders to non-sex offenders, according to state and local agencies. The principal city in each metro area was used. A higher ratio of sex offenders contributed to a lower score.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:06 PM
Veteran member

Total BS

Old 10-31-2018, 09:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

I REALLY hate (and am tired of hearing) the term "FAKE NEWS" but I think I will call that article(?) FAKE NEWS!

That study was probably done by the same 1 scientist in the world using the same methodology that determined global warming wasn't real because Lake Sumter didn't freeze over in July.

Glad to know Sumter/Marion/Lake counties are "Metropolitan areas" just like NYC, Chicago and of course PINE BLUFF, AR.

Wait, is it April 1st?
Old 11-01-2018, 05:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,359 Times in 2,509 Posts

Knowing the villagers love of dressing up, and calebrating at the drop of a hat, I would have no problem letting my grandchildren loose around TV on Halloween.
They would probably need a truck to bring home all the goodies in!
Old 11-01-2018, 05:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

When I read a title that is not at all what I expected and to me an opportunity to diss this lovely place the first thing I do is read back on other posts made by the OP. That is what I am going to do NOW.

(after I read some of his old post...it seems that......… )Mostly interested in how his Television shows get to him and how much he has to pay. Doesn't like Gas Carts. Seems like a good person.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-01-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:18 AM
Sage

It is simply the application of a formula using 4 statistics:

- Percentage of trick or treaters
- Pedestrian car deaths
- Violent crime
- Sex offenders

The statistics were apparently equally weighted. Since we are off the charts (low) on the first statistic, it is not surprising that we rated very high as "unsafe". This falls into the category of "who cares".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Looks like complete BS.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:52 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

I can imagine how much candy my grandchildren would collect in TV.

It would be a great place to T or T.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

This "study" was so flawed and absurd, I just had to post it. I hope nobody thought it was serious! Anyway, according to this study, if you wanted a safer place to Trick or Treat, you could try Homossasa Springs FL. 1 sex offender for every 33 residents!
Old 11-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Sage

Your right, I couldn't take it seriously!!!

Been here 5 years and not one child has come T and T!

Some survey's are like the analogy, A chair has 4 legs, a horse has four legs, therefore, a chair is the same thing as a horse.

I agree with Gracie that when I opened this post, it wasn't what I expected!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, trick, usa, place, treat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.