Trespassing by tax appraisers

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Founder
Default Trespassing by tax appraisers

While playing golf today on Lopez in Marion County, I observed two men with clip boards walking along the rear of a row of houses. They were walking in yards, up to the backs of houses (In and around the windows) sometimes measuring, then walking off to the next back yard.

I asked them what they were doing. They said, "property tax." I asked them if they were allowed to enter private property without the homeowners permission. They answered "yes."

When I got home, I called the Marion county tax assessor's office and asked if that was correct. I was told that it is correct, that the assessors do not need to identify themselves or tell the homeowners that they are there.

They have permission to do whatever they want to do and don't need permission. I'm sorry, but I've got a real problem with that. > >
Old 05-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Default Re: Trespassing by tax appraisers

I think a research should be done. I know in my home town they have to knock on the door and tell you they are there. I do know, however, that they do walk around the outside of the houseif no one is home.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Founder

It did not appear that they were even trying to announce themselves. They were walking from back yard to back yard to back yard. Remember, when I asked them if they could do that without permission, their answer was "YES"
Old 05-01-2008, 05:48 PM

The Property Appraiser or his representative is statutorily charged with physically inspecting every property at least once every 5 years (Section 193.023(2), Fla. Stat.) so it seems they don't need permission from a property owner to do that.

However, they should identify themselves. I called the local (Leon County) PA and was told their inspectors wear uniforms and carry ID which they provide when asked. Makes sense.

VK2
Old 05-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Eternal Member

I'm missing something...It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Taltarzac

They probably also have to inspect at a reasonable time of day like from 8 to 5 and not much earlier or later???
Old 05-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFromNY
I'm missing something...It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
What is the perimeter of your castle? The entire property? Just the inside of your house? What if they were allowed to take the next step....come inside?

Doesn't it seem that if the police have to have a warrant to come on your property, shouldn't other government agencies at least announce themselves? I have no problem with them appraising my property. We all have to pay taxes. I want our goverment to announce itself before it comes onto my property.

I personally am not willing to allow just anybody from the government to traipse onto my land without permission. I am sure that others will think it is okay.

If you were to look out your bedroom window, into your back yard and there were two guys right outside the window in your bushes, would it be a deal of any size then? There have been over 50 burglaries, many daytime, in and around the Villages recently.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
What is the perimeter of your castle? The entire property? Just the inside of your house? What if they were allowed to take the next step....come inside?

Doesn't it seem that if the police have to have a warrant to come on your property, shouldn't other government agencies at least announce themselves? I have no problem with them appraising my property. We all have to pay taxes. I want our goverment to announce itself before it comes onto my property.

I personally am not willing to allow just anybody from the government to traipse onto my land without permission. I am sure that others will think it is okay.

If you were to look out your bedroom window, into your back yard and there were two guys right outside the window in your bushes, would it be a deal of any size then? There have been over 50 burglaries, many daytime, in and around the Villages recently.
I don't think the police need a warrant to knock on my door and ask me questions. I've had it happen where a crime was committed nearby and they wanted to know if we'd seen anything. If they want to search my house in connection with a crime, than due process must be followed. I think it's entirely different for someone who's job it is to assess property to have access to that property. I'm thinking of them as people like meter readers who have an implicit right to enter my property. If they are peering in windows they are doing more than their job, and that should be dealt with accordingly. And it would be a big deal if they were burglars, but these guys weren't.
Out of curiosity, how would you propose this be done? Have them continue to return to the property until permission was granted? How many people would deny them this access? How would they deal with people who wouldn't answer their door?
I still think this is a mountain being made out of a mole hill. I don't agree with your statement they have permission to do whatever they want to do. They have permission to do their job.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:26 PM

I Hope the burglars aren't reading this All they have to do now is get a clipboard
walk around and see if anybodies home
FT BENJAMIN HARRISON
FT LEE
TAIWAN
QUI NHON VIETNAM 66-67
Old 05-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFromNY
I don't think the police need a warrant to knock on my door and ask me questions. I've had it happen where a crime was committed nearby and they wanted to know if we'd seen anything. If they want to search my house in connection with a crime, than due process must be followed. I think it's entirely different for someone who's job it is to assess property to have access to that property. I'm thinking of them as people like meter readers who have an implicit right to enter my property. If they are peering in windows they are doing more than their job, and that should be dealt with accordingly. And it would be a big deal if they were burglars, but these guys weren't.
Out of curiosity, how would you propose this be done? Have them continue to return to the property until permission was granted? How many people would deny them this access? How would they deal with people who wouldn't answer their door?
I still think this is a mountain being made out of a mole hill. I don't agree with your statement they have permission to do whatever they want to do. They have permission to do their job.

I don't understand what is the issue. Two things we can be sure of are Death and Taxes. And the grim reaper and the tax appraiser will cometh.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Sage

Where I come from, entering a person's property without permission is trespassing and unlawful. Trespassing on the wrong property could lead to being shot. I am sure that there aren't many property assessors in California (or most other states) who sneak around back yards.

Trespass: 1 a: a violation of moral or social ethics : transgression; especially : sin b: an unwarranted infringement
2 a: an unlawful act committed on the person, property, or rights of another; especially : a wrongful entry on real property b: the legal action for injuries resulting from trespass
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Here's how it can get out of hand.

When my daughter was college age she was at home alone when she saw a man looking in the window. She was terrified because we live in the country and had no neighbors at the time.

She erred and called me at work instead of calling the police. Not thinking clearly myself I immediately headed home from work. When I got home I found a petrified daughter, who calmed down enough to explain that she thought the guy was in a country car.

I has a suspicion and went to visit the property assessor at the courthouse. I explained that he would not be welcome again without proper notice. He said the agent apparently erred, but that he may be back again without notice. I explained he would be injured if he looked in the window again. He was alarmed and said he was going to call the police. I invited him to go with me to the district attorney's office upstairs and that I would repeat the agent's infringement, and my promise. He declined.

I explained that if he wanted to examine my house again he must set up an appointment, or have a court order.

Then I went up to the district attorney alone and explained what transpired and how somebody could get hurt in the future.

The visits by the agent stopped even though before this incident they apparently had been occurring annually while all the others in the county were not visited at all.

I took a stand. And I didn't regret it. Later over a dinner the district attorney said he was appreciative I pointed out the agent's actions, and said he was reprimanded. He explained that I should not go around frightening the assessor, though.

Fair taxes are based on fair and timely inspection and assessment, but we don't have to completely relinquish our right to privacy and to unreasonable inspection.

This could have all been averted by the county with a telephone call or a postcard informing me of the approximate time of the visit, but he still would have no right to peer into the house. It could be dangerous.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Sage

O.K. Guys. Let the testosterone flow. LET'S start a fight or even shoot someone who is doing their job. Where I come from the meter reader and the tax appraiser are people who come and go. We don't ask them to make an appointment and we aren't offended and we don't feel defensive.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Obviously Gracie doesn't mind people peering in her windows . . . if they are public servants.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony
Obviously Gracie doesn't mind people peering in her windows . . . if they are public servants.

Actually at my age It would be delightful. ;D

NO. That isn't the point. I feel that it was most unusual and certainly not right for "a public servant" to peer in someone's windows. But we weren't talking about that. I think to be offended, to react like it's some awful thing for a person to enter your property to do their work, which is appraising for taxes is a little over the top.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.