The Villages Expansion

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2020, 04:02 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts
Default The Villages Expansion

I read on various outlets of the residents complaints about the size of our wonderful towns growth being so horrible. Not so my friends. Let me explain.
I rarely go to Spanish Springs or Brownwood from our Lake Sumter home. I never go to Fenny. We have been here for ten years and we have witnessed major improvement in shopping, dinning and HEALTHCARE. So, if we expanded all the way to Miami, our lifestyle would only get better, or at the least would not change. The way we expand is done in such a unique way, with a square for each new area that keeps us all in our own hometown. If I can be so bold as to suggest what we could do to protect the comfort and safety of The Villages it would be:
1. Discourage non registered and bonded contractors from working here.
2. Discourage locals, especially youngsters from using our squares.
Seniors are targets anywhere in this country, but The Villages will be seen as an unguarded source of easy money to unscrupulous predators.

Love and Respect
Old 02-22-2020, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Without "young'uns" using "our squares" (last I heard we don't pay for them anyway) many of the businesses you so love may be gone. Do you suggest requiring passports for entry to the squares? A toll gate on each street to keep out those who haven't been inoculated? No grandkids, daughters or sons? How do you differentiate the "locals" from friends & family? Tattoos?
Old 02-22-2020, 10:16 AM
Sage

Agree with Ed. The squares must stay open to all.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

While the OP has a point for those that prefer to stay in their immediate neighborhood there are a bunch of us that enjoy traveling TV to enjoy the new amenities that continue to show up. South of 44 is probably the most athletic area and a drive through the area will provide a more active lifestyle than above 44. The fact that we all have access makes the growth wonderful. I also agree that the squares must stay open to all.....outside revenue benefits us all.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-22-2020, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

While I understand the sentiment behind the OP's suggestion, I personally will never be part of the mentality that believes: "Forget you, I got mine...you go somewhere else."

If safety becomes an issue at any of the squares, or other publicly accessible locations in TV, then appropriate action should be taken at that time (possibly increased security?).

Given that the merchants pay for the entertainment and are the ones who are hopefully benefiting from an increase in crowds...let's hope that they see the increase to stay in business.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Without "young'uns" using "our squares" (last I heard we don't pay for them anyway) many of the businesses you so love may be gone. Do you suggest requiring passports for entry to the squares? A toll gate on each street to keep out those who haven't been inoculated? No grandkids, daughters or sons? How do you differentiate the "locals" from friends & family? Tattoos?
Sarcasm is not helpful. No birth certificates nor passports. Grandkids, daughters and sons are welcome, but rowdy locals are harmful to our community. Perhaps if you had less rowdy locals more residents would spend their dollars on the squares. Keep in mind, the resident should take priority over business persons. Anyway, I support the expansion 100% and am committed to the saying ,”the more the married”. Keep building and make this paradise available to more and more retirees.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
While I understand the sentiment behind the OP's suggestion, I personally will never be part of the mentality that believes: "Forget you, I got mine...you go somewhere else."

If safety becomes an issue at any of the squares, or other publicly accessible locations in TV, then appropriate action should be taken at that time (possibly increased security?).

Given that the merchants pay for the entertainment and are the ones who are hopefully benefiting from an increase in crowds...let's hope that they see the increase to stay in business.
Well said and I completely agree. Love the expansion.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:46 PM

I am on the build, baby, build train as well... I'm not quite retired yet, but love every day I spend in The Villages and I'm happy that I was able to find a home in the Village of DeSoto that I just love. I also agree with the OP's idea that we tend to stay in our "area". I do get up to the Squares some, but most of what I do is a short golf cart ride away from my door... :-) LOL
-Tom Robbins
Old 02-23-2020, 08:22 AM
theruizs

Actually, I think it is because the squares are so safe that locals and youngsters like to use them. I saw a car pull up to the theater in Sumter Landing and let out 4 or 5 teenagers. They went into the theater. I can imagine their parents being thankful for a safe place to let their older kids stretch their wings a bit. I’m ok with that. It’s kind of nice to see young people once in while. And I am sure the businesses in the squares don’t mind a bit.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:29 AM
Gold member

I agree. Expansion is good and folks usually stay close to where they live. Another point to consider. When expansion stops it could mean that The Villages will be turned over to the resident population and that would be the biggest disaster of all
Old 02-23-2020, 08:40 AM

Where are all those people going to park when they finish those apartment in Brownwood
Old 02-23-2020, 09:31 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,298 Times in 536 Posts
Default The old and the young

OP, IMHO, I think you might want to re-visit the part of your post regarding keeping locals, especially young locals, from the Squares. First, that would be illegal and impossible to control and second many of us like to mingle with young people and with the locals. As far as your explanation on expansion of The Villages, I think your spot on. One of my “pet peeves”, when it comes to rules about young people, is the 30 year age for the adult pools. It’s difficult for me to say to our grandsons, and their friends, that they can’t go to the adult pool with us (one is 27) the others are all over 21 and one serves in the military. Yeah, that’s rather disrespectful of young adults in my opinion. I just wonder who came up with such a crazy age of 30 to be an adult. Oh, we all laugh and go to the family pool but it’s still a “pet peeve” of mine. Sorry, the point is we enjoy mingling with young people and kids because it’s good for us and them too. I’ve never had an issue with locals or teens on the squares. I have seen some older folks make drunken fools of themselves though. Fore.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:46 AM
Veteran member

I’ve never seen “rowdy” young people in the squares. Rowdy seniors, yes, occasionally.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

I love to people watch when we go to the squares and listen to music. Younger folks are so interesting to watch when they dance. I even enjoy the kids just learning to dance and socialize with new kids.

One time, there was a young couple (probably late 20s) who were swing dancing and they were even doing lifts! They were right in front of hubby and me and we took a video of them. I'll never forget that night at the square. Wish those two would come back on a regular basis.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:10 PM

I agree, it is nice to see young people around the squares.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, discourage, comfort, hometown, bold

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.