Villages Expansion in Marion County

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2015, 06:49 PM
Gold member

Next time you buy a house, make sure you check with the developer to guarantee your house is the last one he builds.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:06 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

It concerns me that some elected officials (District 4 managers) were surprised by Village officials on this village expansion as reported in the other paper. The on line paper said and I quote: “ Supervisor Paul Kelly said he would have preferred that supervisors would have had more information about The Villages’ proposal ahead of the meeting.
District Manager Janet Tutt said the last-minute request from The Villages of Lake Sumter Inc. was accommodated “out of respect” for The Villages.”

That same situation was prevalent in my Ohio home city council meetings for several years. The current mayor and his crew are now doing a much better job of providing information in a timely manner to council before issues are addressed. This is how it should be done.

I would hope that The Village staff gives District managers the same courtesy. What’s the rush?
Old 03-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Platinum member

I cannot tell for sure, I get the impression that most posters are not in favor of this expansion.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I cannot tell for sure, I get the impression that most posters are not in favor of this expansion.

I want to keep the Developers involved in running this place as long as we can. It seems the law suit giving control to homeowners north of 466 established an atmosphere and dealings not nearly as good a way as the way things are run south of 466. They are fussing and fighting over whether we need a line in the middle of the cart paths. I drove a long way today on unlined cart paths. I don't like the nit picking and dumb additions and foolish expenditures that comes from people running communities who have had no previous history doing it.

I am a big fan of how the developers run things.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I want to keep the Developers involved in running this place as long as we can. It seems the law suit giving control to homeowners north of 466 established an atmosphere and dealings not nearly as good a way as the way things are run south of 466. They are fussing and fighting over whether we need a line in the middle of the cart paths. I drove a long way today on unlined cart paths. I don't like the nit picking and dumb additions and foolish expenditures that comes from people running communities who have had no previous history doing it.

Good point Gracie. Let's all future posters on this topic state if we are north or south of 466. Me, I am north, will not be much affected either way by this expansion. If we get a couple of good additional resturants out of the expansion, then I am all for it.

BTW, I am in the group who wants stripes on the cart paths..... But a topic for another thread
Old 03-13-2015, 08:18 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Plenty of places to live. Go where you are happy. Stay away from where you are not happy. Developers develop. We are lucky to have the one we have...the one with a lot of class.
I agree. That's what is so awesome. We all have choices. I love it here. The more the merrier. I wouldn't live anywhere else. I understand it's not everybody's cup of tea and that's okay. There are lots of other places to go. I think they are are doing a wonderful job here. We moved here in 2000. We always knew that it was going to be big and I love it.
I love it when you say developer. That's it exactly what they are and what they do. And they do it well.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
so does this delay the build out date ?
no such thing as a build out date, as long as there is vacant land adjoining the villages and the demand for homes , it will never end.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:36 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I must disagree with you on this point. Elected officials are to have a say in how things should now run in the Villages. Florida statutes set up this type of elected government structure.

Now, the IRS does agree with you in that they believe the developers still run things.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I must disagree with you on this point. Elected officials are to have a say in how things should now run in the Villages. Florida statutes set up this type of elected government structure.

Now, the IRS does agree with you in that they believe the developers still run things.

Someone else can discuss this with you. We are still a CDD and elected officials do not run things where I live. AND I LIKE IT BETTER than how Urbana, Ohio is run.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Platinum member

Sorry, but if you live in a residential CDD in Florida per Wikipedia
Control
“The CDD is controlled by a Board of Supervisors (BoS), five individuals elected by the landowners of the district. The board then elects one supervisor as chair, names a secretary and a treasurer who need not be board members, and hires a district manager, who will be responsible for daily operations of the CDD.[1] After six years, the power must begin a transition from the landowners to the residents.[2]”
Now, where do you live?
Old 03-13-2015, 08:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Control
“The CDD is controlled by a Board of Supervisors (BoS), five individuals elected by the landowners of the district. The board then elects one supervisor as chair, names a secretary and a treasurer who need not be board members, and hires a district manager, who will be responsible for daily operations of the CDD.[1] After six years, the power must begin a transition from the landowners to the residents.[2]”
Now, where do you live?
Boy Howdy.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:01 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The 300 homes will be built somewhat behind the Villages Baptist Church 0n 42. It doesn't matter if they do include additional amenities and they are not suppose to, the fact is simply that this means more people in the area and its cramping quality of life. This family of developers is going to build either resident or commercial on every stinking inch of property they can get their hands on and the heck with the effect it has on people living in the area.

Now that's not negative that's just plain reality
Old 03-13-2015, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Control
Now, where do you live?
The Developer develops and the District manages. The CDD form of government throughout Florida is set by state statute and is not limited to TV.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-14-2015, 05:19 AM
Platinum member

This Monday, I am taking my brother and a good friend to a Rotary meeting to present a positive and informative program about the Villages. All three of us now own new homes south of Hillsborough Trail and are excited about being able to spend more time here without renting. We will talk about all of the changes that have taken place over the years to create what a beautiful place it is today.

Everyone comes from different places and yet must collaborate to insure that what changes take place in the future will make the Villages even more attractive. We can debate and still be friends I hope.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

Gotta love Florida....but not the traffic!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.