Villages Expansion in Marion County

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Hi GG I am still happy here and what you are sensing really boils down to I should have taken my nap before I logged on to TOTV
I sure don't want to give either of you a bigger head than you already have, but when I am on the fence on an issue, I look to Rubicon and Gracie's take on the issue to give me clarity. You two have a finger on the pulse of the Villages.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Hope they add amenities like golf and a square in the area
to accommodate the 300 homes

A square for 300 people? How many people do you think are serviced by Spanish Springs Town Square?

It's three miles from SS to LSL. So draw a line 1-1/2 miles below SS Town Square and all of those people tend to go to that square. It's about eight miles from LSL to Brownwood. so draw a line 1-1/2 mile north of LSL and another one about 4 miles south of it and that's how many people LSL was meant for.

if everything was planned from the beginning, and we know it wasn't, we would have one square for every 35,000 people. Six hundred additional people in a development of 110,000 is nothing.

By the way, speaking of "build out"; would anyone be surprised if The Villages acquired and developed land south of Rte 44?

Why would they ever stop buying land and developing? The people that do these kinds of things are success orientated type A personalities. A success is never enough. They are never satisfied. They teach their children to be the same way so that when they die they will continue doing what they did. And that's fine with me, as long as they continue to do it in the manner that they have done it by providing enough amenities and shopping.

There will be bumps along the road and sometimes housing development will outgrown the retail development, but as long as a company sees a lot of people in an area, they will want to put a store there. Publix is a great example. The saw the development with Brownwood and put a new Publix in there. Colony is a problem right now, but I have no doubt that another grocery store, probably Winn Dixie will see an opportunity to make more money and get in there to ease some of the congestion. Look at 27/441. There are two Publix within a mile of one another.

Have some of the people that normally shop at the Colony Publix thought about going to one on Wedgewood Lane? Is that one just as crowded. Believe me, if there is that much supermarket business going on in a small area, another supermarket will be looking to get some of it. or Publix may come to the conclusion that it's going to lose some of it's business to another chain and put another store in. Retail development will always lag behind residential development and I would guess that the overcrowding at Colony is temporary.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:26 PM

If memory serves me correctly, our realtor told us that town squares are designed to provide a free entertainment venue for each 40 to 45,000 residents. I would not expect an additional Square for 300 homes.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I think that he was talking about the Colony area. A resident complained about over crowding at the Colony Publix and he said that they were trying to attract another grocery store to that area.
"When a resident complained about overcrowding at the Mulberry Grove Publix, Roy indicated that The Villages is trying to attract another grocery store to that area".

Read the article at the on-line news website.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
. This family of developers is going to build either resident or commercial on every stinking inch of property they can get their hands on and the heck with the effect it has on people living in the area.
Now that's not negative that's just plain reality
Drive down Buena Vista south of 466 to 466A and look to the west, then south of 466A to 44 and look west and east and see how much land they have left undeveloped. Many other builders would have used all of this. I don't know if these hundreds of acres were left undeveloped by state law or it was the builders choice. Whatever the reason it is nice to see some nature.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Drive down Buena Vista south of 466 to 466A and look to the west, then south of 466A to 44 and look west and east and see how much land they have left undeveloped. Many other builders would have used all of this. I don't know if these hundreds of acres were left undeveloped by state law or it was the builders choice. Whatever the reason it is nice to see some nature.
Get in a small plane someday and fly over the area at about 1500 feet. You'll be shocked at how much undeveloped land there is.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:36 PM
Sage

The more I think about this, the size of The Villages will eventually be limited naturally. There are going to be a limited number of people who are retired in this country at any one time. Of those, not all are going to move to a retirement home. Of those that do, only a certain percentage are going to choose Florida. My sister wants to retire to Maine believe it or not. Of those that decide to move to Florida, it may be hard to believe, but not all will choose The Villages. So once the selling of new homes slows, The Villages will have reached their limit and people coming in will replace people leaving. Retirees are not an unlimited market. At some point the developers will realize that they have maxed out and will stop building.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
one would think two new pools would be attractive in an area with a lack of pools
Yes it would as long as the other facilities come with it like tennis courts, pickleball courts, Especially pickleball courts which are lacking north.

I have no problem with expansions as long as Basic amenities comes with it. As far as no vehicle access should not greatly effect traffic IMO
Old 03-15-2015, 09:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The more I think about this, the size of The Villages will eventually be limited naturally. There are going to be a limited number of people who are retired in this country at any one time. Of those, not all are going to move to a retirement home. Of those that do, only a certain percentage are going to choose Florida. My sister wants to retire to Maine believe it or not. Of those that decide to move to Florida, it may be hard to believe, but not all will choose The Villages. So once the selling of new homes slows, The Villages will have reached their limit and people coming in will replace people leaving. Retirees are not an unlimited market. At some point the developers will realize that they have maxed out and will stop building.
IMO the villages compete very well with other retirement communities. great price and affordable for most all no matter how much money you have place for all right now. Maybe not so for lesser income in ten or twenty years, but right now they compete very well for what you get IMO

Will they quit building? Only when they become bored and tired of doing it IMO. when that happens lots of people will lost jobs.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Sage

From the online news site:
A public meeting will be held April 7 to discuss The Villages’ plan to add 300 courtyard villas in CDD 4.

It is anticipated that much more will be learned about The Villages’ plan to build the 300 homes, two neighborhood recreation centers and two swimming pools in the Marion County section of The Villages.

The April 7 meeting will begin at 1 p.m. and will be held at Mulberry Grove Recreation Center.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

An informal polling of people at our monthly neighborhood pot luck (in a neighborhood within close proximity of both proposed new developments) found:

- 60%+ not thrilled (most concerned about losing the peace & quite the enjoy up here, with the local Publix becoming Colony Publix part 2 and dumping hundreds of additional golf carts on Clearview / Calumet Ave, which is how the new neighborhood to the west will access existing TV)

- 30% VERY unhappy (see above reasons .... just feel stronger about it)

- 10% welcome new potential development with open arms
Old 03-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
An informal polling of people at our monthly neighborhood pot luck (in a neighborhood within close proximity of both proposed new developments) found:

- 60%+ not thrilled (most concerned about losing the peace & quite the enjoy up here, with the local Publix becoming Colony Publix part 2 and dumping hundreds of additional golf carts on Clearview / Calumet Ave, which is how the new neighborhood to the west will access existing TV)

- 30% VERY unhappy (see above reasons .... just feel stronger about it)

- 10% welcome new potential development with open arms
I wonder if that 90% have stopped to think that at one time, they probably had predecessors here that felt the same way about the expansion that became the homes for the 90%.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
I wonder if that 90% have stopped to think that at one time, they probably had predecessors here that felt the same way about the expansion that became the homes for the 90%.
How far back can we take that?

Should the pilgrims have stopped to think that just maybe the Native Americans would have been just as happy if they stayed in Europe?
Old 03-17-2015, 03:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
How far back can we take that?

Should the pilgrims have stopped to think that just maybe the Native Americans would have been just as happy if they stayed in Europe?
Wouldn't of mattered the spainish would illuminated them just like the did in south, central, America, and south west North America. The French would come south and north from Canada and Louisiana.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:22 PM

The Villages will never have BUILD OUT while land is still available. Chicago.New York,Atlanta congestion is just a few years away.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.