Villages Fire Service

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCLaD View Post
If County takes over, would they in turn have to pay for and buy the Villages Fire Stations, Fire Trucks and First Responder vehicles and rescue equipment from The Villages Fire District? Who own all this now?
Yes, I am pretty sure they would have to purchase a good portion of the assets.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

I found the fire station first responders who came here to Lynnhaven very often last Summer and Fall (2020) very professional. Think we had people from different fire stations.

They did hint that I should look into home health care as I called 911 a lot. Which I did. Found someone good.

Would need a lot more information though about what is going on with the Fire Stations to make any kind of comments.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:38 AM

That alone would cost tax payers millions of dollars. TV has built many beautiful firehouses. I can see Sumer County closing some of them as their plan for providing county coverage and response time seems to be very different than The Village's current plan. Closing fire houses is a very common practice in city/county run departments to save on money.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:21 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
First of all I do not hate the developer. I think the family has done a brilliant job developing this place and applaud them for it.

What I do not like is their political control of the legislature here.

Have said all along that Sumter county and the developer should compromise on the impact fees so that the county can keep growing.
Compromise!?!?! Didn't the Developer offer to pay a 40% higher impact fee and the Commissioners turned the offer down?

Old 08-01-2021, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,307 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagesff View Post
To answer some of the questions. We are specifically talking about the Fire rescue. They, BOCC/ Arnold ere trying to take away. The ambulance transport could/ should be done by the FD as in most of the state.
Yes, with a possible caveat. The Villages FD could start transport as soon as legally possible. (Not as long as the naysayers say). We would have to increase some personnel, probably from the existing contract service.
As far as taxes and the rest of the county regular taxes and the Fire assessment for the rest of theSumter county would cover theirs. The county would also have to increase if the transport as well.
Thank you for this.

The county would not take over TVFD in order to fix what is broken in TV, the county would take over in order to utilize funds and manpower from TVFD in order to try to fix what is broken in the rest of the county. The suburban nature of TV and the rural nature of most of the rest of the county require different approaches; a one-size-fits-all solution won't work. There is nothing good that could come of this.

While an independent taxing district would come with additional overhead, it may be the only way to protect TVFD by moving it out of reach of the county.

The current ambulance situation is a separate problem though it will likely be used to make changes in the FD service too. As I understand it from reading these posts, TVFD provides great, timely response for emergency calls but they do not transport patients. The ambulance transports patients but does not provide timely response. If TVFD was to provide transport service then they would need to increase staff and equipment.

No matter what happens we will likely be paying more in the future:

1. If the county takes over TVFD then the service will likely decline as resources are pulled away and costs will increase in an attempt to regain the service levels. If the county does not take over TVFD then costs will increase as they attempt to provide the same service levels in the rest of the county.

2. If an independent taxing district is established then our FD assessment might decrease but since the county will no longer receive FD assessments from TV, they will need to increase property taxes to make up for the loss.

3. If TVFD is tasked to provide ambulance/transport services then they will need funding for additional equipment and manpower.

I don't mind paying a little more for better services. When given an opportunity, I'll vote for the addition of ambulance/transport services to TVFD and an independent district to run it.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-02-2021, 06:53 AM
Default Action

Hello again
The main thing I want to say is If you want to keep your Villages Fire Rescue, Please come to the Ad hoc EMS committee and the Sumter BOCC meetings and make sure you let them know that you want to keep your Fire/rescue Dept. Write emails and make phone calls too, But COME TO THE MEETINGS. It is up to you.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2021, 04:52 PM
Gold member

As members of our Village's AED team we attended the Fire Chief's meeting today at Lake Deaton. It is amazing that the County Commission wants to dismantle our outstanding Fire and Public Safety Dept. The ambulance response time is documented to be lousy and has been historically. The emphasis should be on fixing the Ambulance service, not modifying the Fire and Public Safety Dept. We will be attending the AdHoc committee meeting tonight and will be writing our county commissioners.

Please speak up, or we will lose our Fire Dept. This decision is being made in just a few weeks.

Educate yourselves on this issue and speak up.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, sumter, firefighters, provide, services

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.